Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

State Hermitage in St. Petersburg...advisable to purchase advance tickets?

Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there next June and I see it's possible to purchase tickets online. Any opinions on whether I should purchase them prior to going?
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM

Do you know exactly what day you want to go now? I usually go to the Hermitage on a rainy day, and if possible, several shorter visits. It can be rather overwhelming in one visit, and I like to see specific areas.

Does pre-purchasing allow you to enter rooms that are typically closed to the public? For example, I think it is Saturdays that the Romanov residential quarters are open (I could be mistaken)- I wonder if pre-purchasing permits entrance to "closed" areas.

Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

I would.

We didn't (trip June 2005) and ended up waiting on line for quite a while. We lucked out for weather, but had it been a bad weather day, I would had probably skipped the visit.
Sep 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM

You print out a voucher for the tickets (for 1 or 2 daya) and then you pass right up to the front of the line, squeeze through the door, and go to the window #1. They will issue you the actual ticket there. I was really fearful to pass everyone in that long line, but I held up my voucher and moved right to the entrance--no one tried to shoot us!!!

You can buy a ticket to the gold collections (there are 2) when you trade in your voucher.
Jane
Apr 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hi - We'll be going to St Petersburg in June, and I'm just starting to research this... Where do you get the vouchers? Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Google Hermitagemuseum.org and click on page to purchase tickets.