Reload this Page >

Starting Itinerary for 3 weeks in Southern Italy

Notices

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have already received some great help on this forum, thank you. I have an itinerary started which I will post and then a couple of questions.
Arriving March 28th at noon in Bari leaving April 17th at 1:30 pm from Naples.

3 nights Poligano or Monopilo
3 nights Leece
2 nights Matera
1 night Paestum
2 nights Positano
2 nights Ravello
2 nights Sorrento
3 nights Capri
2 nights Naples

This is flexible except we know we want 3 nights on Capri. Should we look at another stop in Puglia and make them 2 nights each. Is there too much moving around on the Amalfi Coast? Some background, we have traveled to Europe numerous times, this will be our shortest trip usually between 5 and 6 weeks. We usually stay in a spot for 5 or 6 days, always have a vehicle unless we are in a city. When we get to the Amalfi coast we are planning on giving up the car and that is why I thought a couple of days in each town would be nice, ( we are more feel the ambience of a place then having to see everything) to enjoy the evenings in the old cities, slow dinners and evening walks. Is it possible to turn the car in at Positano? We are going to hire a driver one day to drive the Amalfi coast.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're planning a 2-week trip in June, and everything I've read sounds like it's best to stay put and use a home base for Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello. That moving around is time consuming and a lot of work, and we're better served doing day trips from one spot or reducing changes as much as possible. We'll be using Positano as a home base for 5 nights and then 3 nights in Capri....
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know nycgril1, that's my dilemma, I love the old cities in the evenings, and find you take in so much more once the crowds of the day are gone.
I wish we had more time but it just doesn't work this trip.

Last edited by sheweeble1; Aug 27th, 2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is more to see in Matera than Polignano or Monopoli, unless you were interested in going to the beach. I would give yourself one more night in Matera and change Ravello to 1.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 06:12 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should be a great trip!

You might consider staying in Salerno rather than Paestum.

I don’t mind changing hotels frequently, but I wouldn’t carve out 2 nights for Sorrento. I’d add that time to Naples, but of course, it depends on your priorities.

Otherwise, I like your division of time.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palatino82 View Post
There is more to see in Matera than Polignano or Monopoli, unless you were interested in going to the beach. I would give yourself one more night in Matera and change Ravello to 1.
My reason for staying in Polignano or Monopoli, is to see Ostuni, Alberobello, Locotundo and Cisterino. I could probably stay in one of those small towns.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kja View Post
Should be a great trip!

You might consider staying in Salerno rather than Paestum.

I don’t mind changing hotels frequently, but I wouldn’t carve out 2 nights for Sorrento. I’d add that time to Naples, but of course, it depends on your priorities.

Otherwise, I like your division of time.
My reason for 2 nights in Sorrento is that we would drop the car off there on our way to the Amalfi Coast and to see Pompeii. I could add an extra day to the Amalfi coast and one to Naples and do Pompeii from Naples at the end of the vacation. My fear is bad weather and not getting to see Pompeii. I have been years ago but my husband has not. I figured if I had 2 options for doing Pompeii, one would work out.

Last edited by sheweeble1; Aug 27th, 2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: wording
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 07:36 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also see Pompeii from Salerno, from which you can get trains to Paestum or to Pompeii. And you can return the car in Salerno -- you won't need it on the coast.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, I will check that out. I had another person suggest Salerno to me also. We don't want a car on the coast so if we can drop it off in Salerno that would be great too. Thanks!