Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Starting in Maastricht traveling for 2wks: Germany, Prague, Vienna-help!!

Nov 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I live in Maastricht, NL, my mother is coming to visit at the end of March 2011 for two weeks. She has been to Europe several times and seen quite a bit. For this trip she has said that she wants to see Germany. I have seen a little of Germany and do agree with most that it is a beautiful country, but I hate for her to come so close to Prague and Vienna and not see them as well. So I need a bit of help and advice on how to go about planning this trip. Do we fly to Berlin and work our way down to Vienna by train and then drive back through the other parts of Germany back to Maastricht? My mother loves history and will see every museum/castle/camp that a city has to offer, so travel time needs to be at a minimum. I know the best way to figure all of this out is to readreadread, but after starting I am a bit overwhelmed so I've decided to ask the experienced for advice. Any suggestions or directions will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Nov 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM

If you are planning on hiring a car make sure you do so in Germany and return it to say Aachen, to avoid horrendous one way fees.
Is there a convenient flight from Beek to Berlin?

Have you asked your mother if she wants to go to Prague and Vienna as well or if she would prefer to stick to Germany?
Do you have a car of your own?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help with further answers.
Nov 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM

I see there isn't a flight from Beek to Berlin. Where were you thinking of flying from?
Nov 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM

OK, your mother wants to see Germany and you want to see Berlin *and* Prague *and* Vienna also? That's too much for 14 days if you ask me. Having said that, your route is quite promising. Spend three days in Berlin. On day 4 visit the Spreewald and meet Germany's Slavic minority, the Sorbs. Next stop Dresden. On day 5 explore Dresden and one of the great museums, like the Gemaeldegalerie or the Green Vault. On day 6 a day trip with the paddle steamers could bring you either to Meissen, a medieval gem, or Saxon Switzerland, the most beautiful and bizarre mountains between Berlin and Vienna. Day 7 and 8 in Prague. On day 9 you could do a day trip to Kuttna Hora or Karlstejn. Day 10 to 14 in Vienna, maybe with a day trip to Melk abbey.
Nov 9th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

@hetismij-Thanks for the quick response!! Ryanair used to fly to Berlin, but not anymore. Easyjet flies from Brussels to Berlin, or Wizzair from Eindhoven to Prague. I have a rail discount card so these aren't an issue.
***Most important: Mom wants to see it all (her words!!)***
Is it a good idea to spend a few days in each of these big cities and then rent a car in Berlin and drive back across Germany-as you said to Aachen which is a bus ride from Maastricht. Or is it better to spend more time in the areas surrounding/in between them and fly back...?

@Karasek
So, I know it will be tight time wise but I really think that if we travel wisely we will be able to see quite a bit. I just need to know where to start..my logic says farthest point first and work our way back so I'm sure that your suggestion would work in reverse?

I really, really appreciate both your efforts in helping me move forward with this monster of a trip...we will probably need a vacation b/c of the vacation by the end of it!!
Nov 9th, 2010, 09:00 AM

@Heather_Burton
Sure, it works the other way around too, and it's really a great trip. I just wondered since you mom will not see much Germany if you include Vienna and Prague in your trip. OK, historically and culturally both Bohemia and Austria are very close to Germany, but your mom will probably not be convinced by this argument, lol. And by including three big cities in your trip you don't have the time to explore the smaller German towns and different regions, but it's the diversity that makes Germany special (and that's what your mom probably wants to see).
By including Vienna you can hardly create a round trip, so I would travel by train and fly between Vienna and Holland. Renting a car is probably not the best idea since many companies still don't let you drive into former Commie countries.

PS: if you drop Vienna you could create some very nice round trips.