Start in Rome or Sorrento... Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi... This board has really helped me plan out hotels and such for our honeymoon in June but I now I am really stumped. We are arriving in Rome June 20th. Our original plans were to start in Rome for 3 days and then go down to Sorrento (stopping along the way in Pompeii) for another 3 days and then drive up to Assisi. Someone suggested we start in Sorrento and then go to Rome. I am trying to lay out the timeline so we can get as much time as possible in each city. Here's my problem..... does it make sense to stay in Rome and then go to Sorrento or arrive in Rome or Naples and then transfer to Sorrento and then work our way up? Does it take long to get to Sorrento if arriving in Rome? Most flights I found layover in Rome then fly into Naples... is this lost time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM

From where do you fly home?
If Rome, then end there.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

We fly out of venice.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM

I would start in Rome, then Sorrento, then Assisi, and end in Venice. Nice trip--have fun !
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM

You can fly direct to Naples from Gatwick, if that helps! Then just work your way north. You haven't mentioned the Amalfi Coast. Surely, you are not skipping Positano, Amalfi and . . . my favorite . . . Ravello.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

We are actually spending 16 days in Italy...

3 Rome
3 Sorrento
1 Assisi
3 Siena
3 Florence
3 Venice

I am just nervous we are going to "throw" away time if we continue onto Sorrento the day we arrive. I figure we wouldn't get to the hotel till after 3pm, is the day is pretty much shot at that point?

The other thing is how easy is it to get a car in Sorrento on a Saturday? If we do Rome first, that puts us heading out to Assisi on a Saturday morning. Can we get a car Friday and park it somewhere?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM
ira

Hi M,

I would do your itinerary in reverse - fly into Venice and out of Rome.

(Actually, I would fly into Venice and out of Naples and skip Rome, but that's me.)

Have you checked with www.novarentacar.com or www.autoeurope.com for times their agencies are open?

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:32 AM

I've reserved a car to pick up in Sorrento through Autoeurope and I think you should be able to get one on Saturday if you reserve in advance. I'd spend my first days in Rome given the fact you might need to get over jet lag, but that's assuming that you are flying from enough distance that you will suffer jet lag. We're flying into Rome and going right to Sorrento but that's because we're flying out of Rome on a very early morning flight so we need to end in Rome.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Mechie - Sorrento takes 3-3.5 hrs. by train from Roma Termini - with a change of train in Naples.

There are a lot of car hire firms in Sorrento - Avis, Hertz, Europcar ... I'm sure you'll have no problem finding one open on a Saturday morning.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:49 AM

It seems a shame to shortchange Sorrento, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast! I'd recommend saving Sorrento and the AC for another trip. With your current itinerary, it might make more sense to add more days to Tuscany or Venice instead.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Our original plan was to leave Sorrento for another trip and then my fiancee talked to someone at work who convinced him we need to stop there. There was no winning that battle.

We are trying to fly out of NY Sunday evening, arriving in Rome early morning Monday to be in Naples by noon.

We have traveled to Europe before and really haven't been effected by jetlag so we are hoping the same for this trip (we sleep very well on long flights). Which leads me to another question.... if we arrive in Naples by noon, add an hour or so for luggage, is it feasable to stop at Pompeii on the way to Sorrento? They close at 7:30pm so I figure there is enough time to walk around and see the grounds. I really don't want to loose time in Rome by having to stop there on our way to Rome from Sorrento. Thanks for all your advice......
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM

we did a similar itinerary last year. We started in Naples (took a bus to Sorrento from the airport) and worked our way up in the following order Rome, Florence, Venice by train.

Have you already gotten your plane tix? If not - you should look into landing in naples and leaving from venice (or vice versa). Each stop is only a couple of hours by train. Working in a north to south (or other way around) route would save you time.

In either case - I agree with Ira - skip Rome. Or atleast take a day off and add it to either Sorrento or Venice. Your fiance is right - Amalfi region is beautiful and you should definitely include it on your honeymoon - it will be the highlight of the trip. You can spend 1 day on Capri (take a ferry from Sorrento), 2nd day to go to Pompeii (it gets tiring) - come back to sorrento and unwind, 3rd day take a bus (or your car if you are going that route) and drive along the amalfi coast stopping at Positano (a must), Ravello and Amalfi (we didn't get that far but wish we had).

I wouldn't stop at Pompeii on the way back from the airport if I were you - but it is up to you. You will be tired regardless of not being affected by jet lag and although there are luggage lockers (as i have heard) - that isn't the way you should see Pompeii. Sure you will have time - but wouldn't you want to get to your hotel, and relax - walk around the cobble stone streets of Sorrento, have drinks, dinner - and relax. It is your honeymoon. Don't just see pompeii to see it and say you saw it - see it because you are interested in seeing it and make a day trip of it. Thats just my opinion - have fun!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I wouldn't try to visit Pompei on your way to Sorrento. Why hassle with your luggage? It only takes about a half-hour to get from Sorrento to Pompei so it won't cost you much time if you see Pompei another day. Spend your first day in Sorrento relaxing and walking around town. It is very nice.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank you all for your help.

I sat my Fiancee down last night with detailed itineraries, one starting in Sorrento the other in Rome. After really looking at it we decided to stick with Rome as our starting point and to rent the car there and drive to Sorrento, stopping at Pompeii on our way down. It allows us more time in Rome without rushing our first day in country. Now I just can't wait to get there!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't rent the car until I was leaving Sorrento. You won't need or want a car while you are there as parking is very limited and you will end up taking trains and ferries. Take the train from Rome to Sorrento. Why pay for a car to be parked for 3 days?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I agree with kybourbon. Parking is very limited and there is often heavy traffic along the coast. You'd be much better off taking public transportation as much as possible between towns/cities. Just so you know, Pompeii is an easy 30 min. train ride from Sorrento. I think the doors actually open at the main entrance.