Starbucks replaces Dalloyao Gobelins

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just walked by the location for Dalloyao at the intersection of Avenue Gobelins and Rue Monge. I have always found this little square charming and enjoyed looking in the windows of Dalloyao at the amazing products. Much to my chagrin, today I noticed that Starbucks had taken its place! Part of the charm of that square has been forever lost. I am very disappointed. I am not really against Starbucks in Paris but I am very sad to see it in the former location of a culinary icon.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:35 AM

If Parisians stop flocking to Starbucks, it will close. But that doesn't seem to be happening, because the chain has 20 stores in Paris and is still expanding, even though their coffee is incredibly expensive.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:38 AM

I have nothing against the company, but it's sad to see it take over a place like Dalloyao's
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:41 AM

When I was in paris about 6 years ago(my first trip to France -I'm from the US) I was longing for a cup of coffee to take with me as I explored-When I would go into a cafe and ask for a cup to go people looked at me like I was nuts and there was neve a "to go" cup to put it in. Then I realized how nice it was that people actually SAT and drank there coffee while reading or chatting. Its a shame that a place like starbucks is ruining that tradition for you!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM

"Then I realized how nice it was that people actually SAT and drank there coffee while reading or chatting. Its a shame that a place like starbucks is ruining that tradition for you!"

I understand the sentiments expressed in this post, I really do. However, who is ruining the tradition, Starbucks or its patrons?

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM

If the former establishment was so great, how come it closed?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM

>>>>>
"Then I realized how nice it was that people actually SAT and drank there coffee while reading or chatting. Its a shame that a place like starbucks is ruining that tradition for you!"
>>>>>

i'm no fan of starbucks but what a patronising attitude.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:35 PM

It is sad to see an old favorite gone.

On the other hand, I was there a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the new Starbucks. I got a latte with a croissant (delicious) and sat there for hours. Early morning in a very cold winter day, I had a nice and warm first class seat to observe Parisian daily life. A couple of days later I bought a baguette in one of the 2 bakeries across the street and walked in for some coffee and more great views.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Actually the french drink their coffee at Starbucks much more often than I see them take it with them.

Not sure why Dalloyao closed that location. I guess it wasnt doing the business OR Starbucks made an offer they couldnt refuse. They still have several other locations in Pairs.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Neopolitan

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand why when a business closes (probably due to lack of interest) and is replaced by a business that there is a LOT of interest in, that the result is somehow bad. Let's be honest here. If Dalloyao was doing a boffo business there, it wouldn't be gone now. Should we whine about the fact that the old slow trains were replaced by TGV's? Should we complain that they modernized the Metro? Should we gripe about how Paris no longer has the "charm" of open air urinals and replaced them with more private, sanitized versions? This is called progress -- meeting the demands and wishes of the public.

If Starbuck's wasn't a US company would you feel the same way? Or is this some sort of nationality bigotry?

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM

When I travel, enjoying the culture of another country is one of the pleasures that I savor. I must admit I have never seen the reasoning behind staying at a Holiday Inn (Best Western, etc.) in another country UNLESS you are a person staying on points or a business person who is there strictly on business. Why would you go to Starbucks in the "cafe capital" of the world? I went into McDo in Paris (to use the free WiFi) and I don't think that most of the patrons that we saw there were native Parisians. I think it is a leap to conclude that Starbucks (and other chains) are in Paris because Parisians want them. Is there not a certain irony about buying "a baguette in one of the 2 bakeries across the street" and taking them into an American coffee shop in order to enjoy "more great views" of Paris?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Just to clarify, I was the ONLY American there. There were 15 or 20 other customers, most or all French. I like a warm fresh baguette and if I feel like eating a hamburger and they don't mind, I'll eat it. I don't go anywhere just to be like the rest of the crowd. I go to a cafe, any cafe because i enjoy it.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Are you talking about Dalloyau's? They are a famous salon de the/traiteur/patisserie. It's spelled yau at the end, not yao. If not, I don't know what you are referring to (actually, I didn't know they used to have a shop at that location, and I stayed in that neighborhood a couple weeks once. Or are you talking about some other kind of store that is so well known we should all know it?

They still have some Dalloyau's in other locations in Paris, several of them. Now I'll admit I've been in that square a lot as I had an apt on rue Mirbel and never even noticed Dalloyau's if it was there, so I think the square will survive.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Before you start insulting me on eating hamburgers, I hate hamburgers. I am not a loud American and I do speak French.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

>>>>>>Are you talking about Dalloyau's? They are a famous salon de the/traiteur/patisserie. It's spelled yau at the end, not yao<<<<

Arrrggghh Yes lol. I am such an idiot. I looked up the spelling and then proceeded to misspell it anyway! Thanks for the correction. Now arrrrg another thing I mixed up lol. It was a Hediard! Boy did I blow it. At any rate I still miss it

>>>>>.This is called progress -- meeting the demands and wishes of the public. <<<<<

I really dont see how coffee in paper cups is progress. Starbucks is fine and dandy. I like it. I go to it. I have been to it in Paris where I live. But progress? Its just a cookie cutter coffee chain.

>>>> If Dalloyao was doing a boffo business there, it wouldn't be gone now.<<<<<

This is only speculation. Starbucks is hot for prime locations. As I said they may have made an offer that would have been foolish to refuse as they have other locations. I have no idea however and neither do you.

>>>>>If Starbuck's wasn't a US company would you feel the same way? Or is this some sort of nationality bigotry?<<<<

No its not national bigotry. I'm American. But I liked that square partially because of the CHARM of Hediard. It was a PLEASURE to look in the windows of that store and it was visually appealing. It had spirit and soul. Starbucks has none of that.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I didn't realize that MorganB was American... so I'm now wondering are there any French residents bemoaning Starbucks, or just Americans who love 'traditional' Paris who do so?..
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Neopolitan

"No its not national bigotry. I'm American."

What? I somehow assumed you were American. Most posts about how rude and loud and fat Americans are usually are posted by Americans. Being American doesn't prevent one from liking to run down American culture or customs being claimed by other countries. There are tons of French owned coffee shops serving fast coffee in paper cups all over Paris -- much of it is pure swill. Please explain why you single out Starbucks as being bad when all those other places flourish as well. I still maintain you complain BECAUSE Starbucks is an American company. My guess the reason Starbucks is so wildly popular with the French (yes, it is) is because it is so much better than the hundreds of similar places they've had for a number of years now.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Perhaps it is further evidence of my impending senescence, but I have softened a bit on such issues. Now, if it were some tacky dollar store replacing a favorite haunt I might take umbrage, but Starbucks sells a very VERY popular product - or they wouldn't be in a position to expand as they are - and they generally maintain a decent standard in their properties. I have sipped Starbuck's in several countries, including Turkey, and enjoyed it each time. There are still a plethora of bistros and cafes in Paris so if that's what you want then you will have no difficulty finding one. As a wise woman once said, that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla. Of course, if she were French she would have said <<chaqu'un à son goût>>
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Dalloyau is probably one of the many places that people look at and admire and consider part of the "culture," but fail to patronize. Businesses need customers to survive, not just admiration; they are not wallpaper. It's a bit like telegrams: some people lament the fact that it is no longer possible to send telegrams, but these same people have never actually sent any telegrams themselves, and so the service could not survive.

Most of the people at McDonald's in Paris are French, and mostly Parisian. The same is true for Starbucks. These places do well because Parisians flock to them—apparently more so than they flock to Dalloyau. Starbucks probably attracts people in large part out of snob appeal, but the appeal of McDonald's is much more practical (it serves food quickly, which is rare in France).

I do remember Dalloyau on that corner, but I'd hardly call it an essential part of the local atmosphere. I've never found a reason to visit any of their stores, since I'm just not in the market for expensive small tins of goose liver and the like very often. I think the same is true for most Parisians, whereas they probably drink coffee and eat lunch quickly a lot more often.

Remember that McDonald's most succesful market is in France, the very country that claims to hate it. <i>Someone</i> in France is going there, though; in fact, a lot of people are.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Most posts about how rude and loud and fat Americans are usually are posted by Americans.&quot;

Quite right. Its a variation of the Torquemada syndrome. Torquemada, head of the Spanish Inquisition was the grandson of a &quot;converso,&quot; the very people he spent his career torturing and murdering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -