Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris-Loire-London or Paris-Provence-London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling the first two weeks of June with my almost 12 year old daughter. She's never been out of the country. I've set the first 5 days in Paris. Now I have 8 more days to account for, not including that final day to fly home. I don't want to overcrowd my time. I don't feel like I need to see everything. I was and am torn between Loire Valley and Provence. With the fast train, it does not seem like travel will eat up too much time either way. I am up for renting a car, although my daughter would not be keen on being in the car for long periods each day.

I was zeroing in on Loire Valley for 3 days, 4 nights so that we could slow down, see castles, eat great meals, enjoy the countryside. The castles are the real draw, but I'm concerned that after seeing 2 or 3, she would be done, I would be OK with that. Would it be enough to see a few castles and try favored restaurants?

I don't know enough about Provence beside the general, romantic idea of beautiful villages, countryside, and interesting markets. It seems like this is the more popular destination, and if we are so close, do we explore Provence instead of the Loire V?

On the 4th day wherever we choose, I plan to head back North to London. Spend 2-3 nights there and back to Paris for 2 nights to revisit our favorite places there before we fly home.

Thoughts? Flaws? Advice? I feel a bit paralyzed here and need to nail down our general itinerary!
Any comments would be gratefully considered.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:29 AM

BIG QUESTION

Are your flights/trains to Paris, London, London to Paris, Paris to home already booked?? it seems that you have some needless flights or train trips there.

Provence. You can get to Provence (Avignon TGV station) & back from/to Paris in 2 3/4 hrs or from/to CDG airport in 3 1/4 hrs.

Loire. You can get to/from St Pierre des Corps fom Paris in 1 hr & CDG in 1 3/4 hrs (only 2 trains).

Provence. There is a huge diversity of things to do & see in Provence. Too many to list. If you will be there in late June - you'll see the lavender in bloom. We've vacationed in Provence for 20 weeks, and are going back for 2 more weeks this June.

Loire. It's all about the Chateaux. We love Chateaux, and have spent around 8 weeks in this region. However, the cities & villages are not nearly as interesting, IMO, as those you'll find in Provence & elsewhere. Same with the countryside in the Loire.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

All I have booked so far is the flight in and out of Paris, and the first 4 nights in Paris. Ideally we would have leaft from London, but the price of flights led us in and out of Paris. I though it would be nice to bookend our trip there anyway since "Paris" was the original intent.

Per my research for Provence we would train to Avignon, rent a car and base somewhere like ISLS and see the towns thereabouts.

If Loire Valley, we'd base near Loches or around Amboise and see the chateaux from there.

I'm assuming we can find wonderful places to eat in Provence. Right? We were recommended several in the Loire Valley area.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think 'bookending' is a bad idea. Just adds an additional set of packing/unpacking/checking in/out. I'd put all the Paris time together at the end. But since you've booked the first 4 nights in Paris that is a problem.

Is that pre-paid/non-refundable?
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

We definitely want to start in Paris. We could do Paris to Avignon to London to CDG. I'm not opposed to simplifying that final leg of the trip. I was just anticipating that we will love Paris and will want to revisit a few favorites spots before we head home.

I'm very open to advice!
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:17 AM

I think your daughter would enjoy staying in St Remy de Provence. Lots of shops, restaurants, cafes, & English spoken. It's only a 20 min drive from the Avignon TGV station (different location than the Avignon Centre station). It's easy to get in & out by car. Reserve soon - we've had our reservations for a gite in Provence since around June of last year. You are probably too late to get super cheap PREM fares to Provence or the Loire.

I would not stay in Loches in the Loire - not centrally located enough. Amboise is much better.

Do you have my 32 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary??? I've sent it to over 3,000 people on Fodors. It describes our favorite villages, cities, scenic drives, sites, markets, lavender fields - and has a section on Provence fabric. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

So I just need someone to say to me: DO THIS......
And then everyone can confirm it's a great plan.

Loire or Provence?

Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:31 AM
mjs

You might consider just Paris and Provence with your time frame. Going in/out of Paris when you also want to visit London wastes a better part of one of your vacation days plus the extra cost. Did you check into London and out of Paris and vice versa before booking your flights? If the open jaw costs were within a few hundred dollars of your CDG RT it would have been worth the
Modest increase in cost to save yourself valuable holiday time. However if your flights are booked outside of the 24 hr cancellation window I would put Paris last and leave for your next destination upon arrival in CDG.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Provence - by far. If you or your daughter get "chateau-ed out" after 1-2 days - you are kinda stuck. Much more stuff to do & see in Provence. I'm pretty sure your daughter will enjoy Provence much more than the Loire. Visit a few chateaux around Paris for your "chateau fix".

Did you ask for & receive my Provence itinerary??? I've sent it to 4 people already this morning (I'm in Calif). Don't know if you were one of them.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I did get your itinerary last week!
Thanks! Now that I've done more research I will get more out of it.

In and out of Avignon then?

Will it be difficult to drive in that region the first week in June? How many of us tourists will be crowding the roads and markets?
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:47 AM

>> I would put Paris last and leave for your next destination upon arrival in CDG.<<

So would I. In fact, we're doing just that this June. However, jennibee already has her Paris hotel booked (is it changeable???).

My wife & I spend 2 months vacationing in Europe (mainly France) every year, and have never hit a city twice on the same trip. I consider it a waste of valuable time, plus an additional episode of the always-present stress of long distance travel, packing & unpacking, checking in & out, and getting oriented. In Paris, we enjoy getting up early in the AM, walking to the nearest outside cafe for croissants & a cafe creme - and witnessing people heading to work or opening up their stores. You'll miss at least one of these mornings if you visit Paris twice instead of once.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:48 AM

I book my tickets here:

https://www.trainline.eu/search

But research schedules here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Summer PREM tickets are already on sale. I purchased our June 10 trip to Aix on March 9; and Avignon TGV to Paris trip for July 1, purchased on March 14 (70E first class for 2 people).

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 09:54 AM

In & out of the Avignon TGV station - which is south of Avignon on the way to St Remy.

Not very crowded in early June. The massive crowds appear when the French schools let out around the start of the second week in July. We've been somewhere in the south of France in early June about every 2 years for the past 18 years.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

The hotel is nonrefundable.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 12:04 PM

I'd say the Avignon area has more or of a wow factor than the Loire - except for chateaus the Loire is rather boring (IMO of having stayed there many many times visiting relatives) - Avignon rent a car -Pont du Gard-Camargue and riding wild ponies - Les Baux - a lovely perched ruined city, etc.

Book trains well in advance to score discounted tickets - www.voyages-sncf.com; for lots of info www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Have you considered the part of Provence that's on the Mediterranean, the Cote d'Azur? There's lots to see there and I think your daughter would enjoy it more than the Provencal countryside.

You can base in Nice and use public transportation along the coast -- to places likes Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, Eze, Cap Ferrat. No need to rent a car. Maybe train or fly from Paris to Nice, then fly Nice to London.

Your trip from London to Paris will take time and money, so it's not such a savings to fly back from Paris.

Buy train tickets as early as you can, especially for the Eurostar London to Paris, for great savings.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 02:00 PM

No need to rent a car. Maybe train or fly from Paris to Nice, then fly Nice to London.>

There is also an overnight train Paris-Nice last I knew -could be a treat for kiddo - www,voyages-sncf.com for details and booking.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 02:10 PM

>>There is also an overnight train Paris-Nice last I knew<<

Yes - but it take 11 1/4 hours instead of the daytime 5 3/4 hrs.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 02:21 PM
mjs

Given your constraints, I would either opt for just Paris and London or Paris and Provence/ Cote Azur. London has a lot to do from Harry Potter to theatre to the London eye etc. you could easily find things to do in London for a week. Day trips to Stratford upon Avon, Windsor castle, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath and Stonehenge are also possible. Two or three nights for London is inadequate. There is also a lot to do in the South of France as well. I think your trip would be best served by two major destinations instead of three.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 03:26 PM

>> I think your trip would be best served by two major destinations instead of three.<<

I totally agree.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -