Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Star Breeze (Windstar) cruise to Scotland and Norway

Mar 7th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are considering this cruise. Last year, they had the small ships with the sails traveling in this area but they don't use these ships there any longer. Has anyone had experience with this cruise line/area? Anything you could share with us would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mar 7th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Just my 2 . . . They are very expensive if you want to 'see' Scotland or Norway. But great if you mainly want a cruise. Less than a full day in port gives you little time or seeing /doing much on shore. So for a cruise a wonderful experience. For visiting Scotland . . . Not so much.
Mar 10th, 2018, 05:48 AM

I agree with janisj. If you want to SEE Scotland, stay on land. But I will say that Windstar's motor vessels are the cat's pajamas! Huge suites for all. Bathtubs and two sinks, walk-in closets. Wonderful service and food. Great for cruising.
Mar 18th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I was told that the best way to experience the fjords is from the small ships. I want to experience Scotland and Norway - what do you recommend? Our last trip abroad was fabulous -- we had private tour guides and they made it wonderful for us!
Mar 18th, 2018, 07:01 PM

I’m not familiar with the cruise lines you mentioned but several years ago I did a trip with National Geographic and it was excellent. It was Ancient Isles: England,Ireland and Scotland. We sailed around the British and Irish Isles, and I visited many places that would’ve been difficult to get to otherwise. Our trip ended in Bergen where I traveled independently through the fjords for a week ending up in Oslo. For touring the fjords in Norway, the smaller size ferries are best, although even the monster cruise ships stop in Flam. I wouldn’t tour in one of them if it was free. I know National Geographic does several tours of Norway including fjords but the tours are expensive.
You might want to tour Scotland seperately then fly to Bergen to do fjord tours. NiN ( Norway in a Nutshell ) is popular but easy to do the same tours independently. NiN is only a ticket facillitator. Not sure if there are flights from Scotland to Bergen but there are flights to/from London.

If time and budget is generous, a tour of Scotland with National Geographic and then a tour of fjords with them would be ideal. I’m assuming from your post that you are most comfortable with a guided tour rather than independent, if otherwise let us know as it opens up more options.
Mar 18th, 2018, 10:19 PM

There are flights from Aberdeen to Bergen, Stavanger, and Oslo (oil industry supports lots of connections). Lots of flights from other Scottish airports too.