STANSTED AIRPORT INFORMATION

Jan 15th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Kerry

STANSTED AIRPORT INFORMATION

My 19 year old daughter is travelling from Australia to London to visit a friend. Her return flight departs Stansted Airport at 6.40.a.m. on a Sunday morning. Checking the Skytrain website it appears that the first train does not leave Liverpool Street Station until 7.a.m. on Sundays. Does anybody know if she can arrive at the airport late Saturday night and just stay there or do they close it? Otherwise is there any cheap accommodation close to the airport that will provide transport to the airport early on a Sunday morning. Taxis are out of the question and the only airport shuttle sites I can find charge by the car and not by the passenger at 55 pound. Can anybody offer any suggestions to a worried mother?

Jan 15th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Tony

Kerry.

According to my train timetable site the first train from London to Stanstead is 0500, arriving 0548 - probably too late for your daughter's check in time.
Later in the year (in their Summer) there may well be more trains, or earlier trains. Worth checking if appropriate.
If you go to www.airwise.com, you can eventually click your way to Stanstead, via the Worlds Airport (Europe) Button.
Here there is info.about the airport, getting there etc. and Hotels. There is a Hilton at the airport, but probably too pricey. 10 minutes from the airport is the Whitehall County Hotel, which should be cheaper. Their phone no. in the UK is 01279 850603.
Hope this helps for starters.

Jan 15th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Kerry

Tony
Thanks for your reply. I've found numerous sites with Skytrain information but a lot of it is contradictory or maybe out of date. The trains appear to run earlier Mon-Fri but on Sundays it appears they don't start until 7.a.m. She is departing 4th March. I've called travel agent to see if we can change to Heathrow but there appears to be the same problem - no trains that early on Sunday mornings. She must leave that early to catch a connecting KLM super cheapie from Amsterdam - Sydney

Jan 16th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Zoe

Hi Kerry

I rang the Stansted Express info line and the earliest departure on Sunday is definitely 5.00am. At the moment, trains are travelling slower than usual due to recent accidents, so the journey might take longer than an hour. If your daughter is catching a short flight to Amsterdam, late check in isn't so bad - but she might not want to risk it. Better bet would be to book a hotel.

Here are some details and links for accommodation in the area:

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/stansted.html
(general accommodation site)

The Cricketers Arms
http://www.cricketers.demon.co.uk/
(the site says they offer transport to Stansted which is 15 mins away. 55 for a single is about average for a place like this)

North Hall Farm Guesthouse
Saffron Walden
Tel: +44 1799-543429 Fax: +44 1799-542729
They will drive to airport for extra 5.

There is also a booking service at the airport, Expotel - they could find a place for you. +44 1279 662929.

Hope this helps.

Zoe

Search this Thread