Stanley Hotel Athens- Petasos Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying at the Stanley Hotel in Athens and the Petasos Bay hotel in Mykonos and El Greco in Santorini. If anyone has any information on any of these hotels it would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trip to Greece.Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Harry

I've stayed at the Stanley in Athens a few times.

It is on Karaiskaki Square which is busy with traffic, although since a recent upgrade to the hotel the noise is hardly noticable in the bedrooms. Those bedrooms are a good size too, come with safe custody facilites, TV, mini-bar, air-conditioning and most have balconies. If you think you may be sensitive to traffic noise ask for a room at the side of the building.

It is a 10 minute walk to Omonia Square and a further 10 minutes to Plaka.

Since last year there is a metro stop right outside the hotel which makes it very easy to travel around the city and the important sights.

There are two restaurants, the very best of which is on the rooftop and should be tried out. The view of the Acropolis from there is great. There is also a small rooftop pool with a nice bar that stays open until 2am (summer season).

If you decide to eat out of the hotel there is a small taverna across from the Stanley owned and run by a father and his adult sons. If you can, please try it out as it serves fantastic traditional Greek food at very low cost. Believe me, the place doesnt look very interesting but the food is wonderful. If you'd like details let me know and I'll find the card taken from the place when I last visited.

The hotel also has a couple of small shops at ground level and outside there are a few ATM's.

If you need more information then post here and I'll get back to you.

Bill
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Bill,
Thanks for the response. If it is not too much trouble I would like the name and address of the restuarant you mentioned. It sound like the type of place we are interested in. Thanks again.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Hi,
Four years ago we stayed at the El Greco. It was a great place, nice rooms, very clean, great pool and a better than average breakfast. If we're talking about the same hotel I probably would not stay there again.
My reasons are probably personal, but I'll post them.

The hotel is between the port and Fira.
About a ten-fifteen minute walk to downtown Fira. The pictures on their website may show a caldera view but there is a road between the hotel and the view. I've been to Greece many times and I would upgrade to a caldera view for Santorini. Something on the "edge". Remember that Santorini is spectacular for the views and dinners but it doesn"t have much else to offer. The beaches aren't great, there is little of historical value, [Akrotiri has been ruined with the new roof and all the construction underway] and two or three nights there would be enough. Don't miss some of the remote villages. you have to look closely but they are there.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Harry

Apologies if this posts twice but I am having problems with Fodors this evening.

I can't find the card from the restaurant but the place is easy to find. From the hotel main entrance turn right, walk up to the square and cross the main road. There you will find a small cluster of restaurants and the one I recommend is the 2nd or 3rd (the last one!) as you walk away from the hotel.

I did find the hotel brochure which is four A4-size pages which I can easily scan and email you. The text is in Greek but there are a lot of hotel pictures.

Lastly, one restaurant we visited (which is a the rear of the Stanley) is Arheon Gevsis and it has a website. Check it out at:-

http://www.arxaion.gr/

bill
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Bill,
Thanks, you can email me at [email protected] any information for that area would be helpful. Did you rent a car or use public transportation?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Harry

You have mail.

Bill
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Bill,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate the time and effort.
Harry
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
CPT

Harry,

can you tell me how you booked your stay at Hotel Stanley? They don't seem to have a website and I am "iffy" on booking through a third agent not knowing who and where they are. I would prefer booking through a company someone had used, can you provide some information to me? Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling. I booked the Stanley hotel through Tourlite International. They have a office in Athens and one in NJ USA.