Stafford or Stoke-on-Trent or ?

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:09 PM
PamR

Stafford or Stoke-on-Trent or ?

We'll be driving between the Lake District and the Cotswolds and want to spend a night in between. Looks like Stafford or Stoke-on-Trent would be ok. Anyone have an opinion on either or both of these towns and possible places to stay?

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Steve Mueller

If you're not into porcelain or amusement parks, Stoke-on-Trent has little to offer.

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:51 PM
ron

If I were doing that trip, I would probably just do it in one day. If I were to stop,I would get away from the M6 and look at touristically interesting places like Chester or Shrewsbury or Bridgnorth.

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:12 PM
janis

I agree w/ ron. There really isn't any need to break that journey. It is motorway all the way and you can do it in 3 to 4+ hours - depending on where in the Lake district you are leaving from. A little more if you stop at a rest/service area. Unless you wanted to visit the Peak District and Chatsworth, I would just head south and spend an extra day in the Cotswolds.

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:16 PM
PamR

Thanks for suggestions. We can't get into our hotel in Upper Slaughter until the next day, and we were planning on leaving the Lakes rather late in the day -- thus the need for a one-night stopover. Was hoping to see another area briefly since we'll be in both the Lakes and the Cotswolds for 5 days each. Had considered Shrewsbury; may do that. But Stafford looked quite interesting in a recent British Heritage magazine. Any more comments?

Aug 17th, 2001, 06:00 PM
janis

Since you don't want to get to the Cotswolds early (that's still what I'd do and just stay in a different B&B - say near Broadway, Evesham or Tewkebury) you could take a short jaunt into north wales, or stop at Chester (really fascinating) or go even farther south to somewhere like Great Malvern.. Great Malvern is in a breathtaking area and has a lovely Abbey.

Aug 17th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Tony

Pam..

To enjoy the journey I would suggest you leave the M6 just after Warrington, junction 20, and cut across a few miles West to the A49. This road is a very pleasant drive through gentle rolling countryside, through Shrewsbury, Church Stretton, Ludlow, Leominster,Hereford, and Monmouth to Chepstow. All the places I've mentioned are worth a stopover at a suitable B&B or pub - no need to book ahead just stop where you please.
Easy drive into the Cotswolds next morning.
This way you avoid the industrial and fairly ugly Midlands, which more or less start at Stafford/Stoke on Trent, and see more of the rural Heart of England.