Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Tropez--should we go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-tropez-should-we-go-616375/)

JES May 17th, 2006 01:46 PM

St. Tropez--should we go?

My hubby and I are trying to figure out our itinerary while we stay in a small town near Nice. I know St. Trop is a little further away and have read mixed reviews. Should we keep it on the itinerary or nix it in leu of other towns more worthwhile to see?

jay May 17th, 2006 01:49 PM

We spent a couple of hours there at Christmas. I guess it depends on what you are going to do. Why not stay in Nice? There is a lot to do. San Trop is a place to lay on the beach and shop.

Underhill May 17th, 2006 01:57 PM

Getting to St-Tropez takes a fair amount of time. Unless your heart is set on seeing the town and spending time on the beaches, and you have time to spare, I think you'll find plenty to do closer to Nice.

jay May 17th, 2006 02:01 PM

Underhill is correct and from the way we came I remember that the road was treacherous. I thought that it was fun but the wife and daughter say treacherous.

JES May 17th, 2006 03:38 PM

I like treacherous fun! If the drive is really beautiful and the beaches are the best around there, I may want to see it....can anyone comment on that b/f I definitely nix it?

How far is it from Nice? I will be there the 2nd week in June (traffic-wise). Thank you!

Underhill May 17th, 2006 05:43 PM

The road--and there's just one into and out of the town--will be jammed. That's one reason I suggest going elsewhere.

JES May 18th, 2006 07:46 AM

Thanks again...I think we will take all of your advice and skip this. More time for other things!

Tulips May 18th, 2006 07:58 AM

The road along the coast, particularly from Cannes onwards, is beautiful, but can take a long time. 3 hours would not be unusual, unless you go very early. The motorway and then down to StTrop from Le Muy is faster, but not particularly nice. I love StTropez; for me it would be worth it.

johncand_t May 18th, 2006 08:04 AM

One way to see St Trop is to stay in San Maxime just over the bay you avoid the road into St Trop and take the 10 minute crossing on the ferry for about 11 euros, plenty of nice bars and resturants in San maxime for the evening and much cheaper than St Trop

JES May 18th, 2006 08:24 AM

3 hours is tough. If we did leave very early from Cannes, how long do you think it would take us?
Thanks!

Underhill May 18th, 2006 09:04 AM

Pretty nearly 3 hours. The problem is that there's only one good road into St-Tropez, and a lot of people try to avoid the traffic by getting there early.

Underhill May 18th, 2006 09:07 AM

If you really want to go to St-Tropez, stay at the nearby St-Maxime or Fréjus, then take the boat over to St-Tropez for the day. Trying to do it as a day trip from the Nice area won't leave you much time, given the about-6-hour round trip.

JES May 18th, 2006 10:16 AM

Thank you Underhill. I like the boat idea if we decide to go!

JES Jul 9th, 2006 02:00 PM

Hi there,
We did end up going and LOVED St. Trop. (we agree with you Tulips!) It was one of our favorite places on the coast. We went en route back from Provence so we didn't end up in a line of traffic to or from so it worked out perfectly.
Thanks again for the advice.