Reload this Page >

Travel between italy, france, spain, and greece

Old Sep 7th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

My fiancé and I are getting married in February and are thinking about having our honeymoon in Europe. We would probably choose to fly into Madrid because we are flying from Bolivia and it is about 300$ cheaper per ticket to fly into madrid than any other european city I have seen.

Ultimately we would like to see Florence, Venice, Rome, Paris, and possibly one of the Greek islands over the course of 2 weeks. This may be the only time we are able to go to Europe and we would like to take advantage of it. We are looking into using airbnb to find housing but I'm wondering what the best way to travel would be?

I've looked at rail passes but have heard that when traveling in Italy and France that many additional charges can be incurred. Plane tickets seem cheap but additional baggage fees quickly make them more expensive as well. I've also looked into bus passes through eurolines. I was just wondering what would be the recommended way to travel relatively cheaply?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 10:28 AM

Hi Caleb
Congrats for your wedding.

2 weeks = 14 days, if you go to 5 places, it means
14 days - 2 days of travel in/out - 5*1/2 days of travel from one place to the other.
Makes 10 days on the ground = 2 days per place.
Short but doable.
But if you take buses then you'll simply spend your time travelling.

Look at trains and low cost planes (look at Kayak.com but book directly via airline). Vueling Ryanair or Easyjet would probably be your friends. Pay attention to luggage costs on these airlines.

2 days for Rome or Paris are too few days but will enable you to scratch the surface.
Florence 2 days is ok but you won't do any daytrip.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Florence, Venice, Rome and Paris in two weeks would be a fast trip for me, but it's your trip/honeymoon. How much time did you think you'd spend in each city? Can you fly into Rome and out of Paris at the end (or the reverse order)?

I don't think adding a Greek island to a February trip makes sense, mostly based on the travel logistics and time involved, but also because of weather and availability of hotels, restaurants, etc. You need to investigate how you'd travel to/from the island you choose and then see what lodging options you find.

A rail pass in Italy won't save you money. You only need two tickets to travel between the three cities. If you purchase the tickets in advance, you will probably find very inexpensive fares.

There are overnight trains between Venice and Paris that take 14-15 hours. If you want to avoid changing trains during the night and want a compartment with beds, it will probably cost more air fare plus baggage fees. You just need to do some research.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM

You can buy cheap budget train tickets if you pre-book 2 or 3 months in advance, direct from the relevant train operators. This would be more relaxing than stressful flights, and far more interesting journeys, and far superior to slumming it in a bus.

For example:

1. Madrid-Barcelona in 2h40 from around €35 at www.renfe.com or www.loco2.com

2. Barcelona-Paris by 200mph double-deck TGV train in 6h15 from €59. It's a great train ride - see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuJm9FS0Lw . Flying seems quicker at first, but actually takes 5h of train, airport, flight, airport, train - so saves very little time.

3. Paris-Turin from €29 in 5h40 www.capitainetrain.com - see video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09t_WJz_mM

4. Turin-Venice or Turin-Florence from €19 at www.trenitalia.com

In all cases you just print your own ticket.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 11:10 AM

If you keep up with the news, you should also figure in the flow of refugees passing through the Greek Islands. They'll be coming for months to come.

Frankly, I would stick with Paris (5 nights) and Rome, Florence, and Vinice for the rest of your honeymoon, traveling by train within Italy. You can check the rates for the Italian trains at: www.italiarail.com

The Paris-Rome train will cost from 214€ to 270€/person in 1st class. The fastest train takes a little over 11 hours to make the trip.

Air France has direct flights from Paris to Rome for as little as $77/person in February. The flight takes 2 hours.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 11:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Barcelona, Florence, Venice, Rome, Paris, and possibly one of the Greek islands is not a 2 week trip, IF you mean 2 weeks/14 days total. If so you will have only about 11.5 days on the ground in Europe. Then you use another half day or even a FULL day every time you move from city to city. Plus as mentioned - Greek Islands in Feb really is a problem. So assuming 2 weeks and no Greece what you have left is five MAJOR cities and 9 or 10 days of free time to see them.

The more you dash around the less you see really. I'd pick 3 cities and leave it at that. Also I wouldn't fly into Barcelona simply to save money - unless your REALLY want to visit Barcelona. If Barcelona isn't a 'must', you will spend a whole lot more than $300 pp getting to places you'd rather visit and back to Barcelona plus it would be a huge time waster on a short trip.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Yup Janis,
I agree with you, but would have disagreed some years ago.
I remember visiting 12 cities in US in one month.
It was a great trip. I was very young.
OP mentioned they know it is rushed but are not sure they can come back soon...
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 11:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>OP mentioned they know it is rushed but are not sure they can come back soon…always say that

Rushed and living on adrenaline is absolutely fine especially when young. BUT does one really want to spend 35% or 40 % of their entire (expensive) trip sitting on/in stations, airports, trains, buses, planes?
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Venice, Florence, Rome might be 3 to pick for Italy. Fly open jaw into Venice and out of Rome. Or fly Rome/Rome, proceed directly to Florence, 1.5 hours on the train once you get to town [Termini station]. Tickets using one of the machines. Firenze-Venezia and Venezia-Roma you can purchase up to 120 days in advance on the Trenitalia web site. In this plan you have only 2 travel days, which is ideal, the longest journey 3:45. Siena [bus] and Lucca/Pisa [train] are a couple of popular day trips from Florence. Orvieto from Rome, again if you have the time. Verona from Venice.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Have you looked at the weather in these places? The Greek Isles (aside from all the political issues) will be empty since it is winter - and not swimming season.

You do realize that you are going in midwinter and will have cold/cool weather - including chilly rain and a possibility of ice/snow in most places?

And agree that you are trying to do too many places in too little time, esp since your outdoor touring is likely to be limited by bad weather. In 2 weeks - and is that 15 nights on the ground or only 13? - you should limit yourself to 4 CITIES, not countries - if you want to have time to actually see anything. Although for a honeymoon at that time of year I would limit it to 3 cities - so as to allow for any delays due to bad weather.