Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Stephens Green Hotel & Nights Stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-stephens-green-hotel-and-nights-stay-704898/)

Nuttela May 14th, 2007 04:36 AM

St. Stephens Green Hotel & Nights Stay

My husband and I have decided to look into staying at Stephens Green Hotel. The rates are good and they have availability. I have two questions...I did a search on fodors and tripadvisor, it seems there are no major complaints. Is there anyone out there who has anymore information about this hotel?

My second question is we have a flight out of Dublin at 9:00 AM on a Tuesday, would it be better to get a hotel closer to the airport the night before, or stay closer to the city centre? Being unaware how far away and how much traffic is involved in getting to the Airport on a Tuesday morning in Dublin I am torn on what to do.

Any information about the hotel above or ideas on traffic would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Lawchick May 14th, 2007 05:01 AM

I have stayed in this hotel and have no complaints. It has a very good price quality ratio and is very central.

The traffic in Dublin is very bad, but there is no reason to stay at the airport the night before - but I would suggest getting a taxi very early on Tuesday morning.

littlejane May 14th, 2007 05:16 AM

Being a Dubliner I've never stayed there myself but it has a good reputation and a great central location.

Presumably you have a min. 2 hr check in at the airport so will need to be there for 7am. At that time of the morning you should be able to get to the airport in 30 mins so if you left at say 6:15 you should be fine. However if you have to check in at 8am you would need to go through city centre traffic at rush hour and you'd need to allow a lot longer.

kleeblatt May 14th, 2007 05:20 AM

My friend has just came back from Dublin. She was told by a taxi driver that one hour is enough for check-in. Wrong! She almost missed the plane. The above poster is correct: please allow 2 hours.

Lawchick May 14th, 2007 05:25 AM

I got a 6.30 am flight from Dublin this morning ....and indeed the airport was bedlam. It also took me a while to leave back the hire car to Hertz.

There was no traffic at that time of the morning, but between dropping car, checking in, security and getting to the gate, it took us an hour and a half (not including the drive to the airport).

Nuttela May 14th, 2007 05:34 AM

Thanks for the information. We will definitly have to get a taxi to get to the airport, we won't have a rental car. Is this something we can call the night before and set up?

I am amazed to hear 2 hours before is enough time. I already had thought to get there by 6 AM...so I guess then staying at at the Stephens Green the whole time won't be a problem.

As always you have been helpful. Thanks for all that responded.

CAPH52 May 14th, 2007 09:04 AM

Yes, you can arrange for the taxi the night before. Or ask the hotel to do it for you. The owner of the B&B where we stayed in Drumcondra called for us the afternoon before we left.

SiobhanP May 15th, 2007 04:48 AM

Its hgsould be fine just leave with enought time for checkin. Dublin airport is like a busy city at 7am. Everyone is taking either short haul fl;ights or one stop to connect to larger international flights.

NotMe May 15th, 2007 02:45 PM

If you want to be absolutely safe, allow yourself one hour to drive to the airport and two hours to check in.