Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > St Remy Hotel - Chateau des Alpilles or Domaine de Valmouriane?

St Remy Hotel - Chateau des Alpilles or Domaine de Valmouriane?

Jun 20th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Lynne

St Remy Hotel - Chateau des Alpilles or Domaine de Valmouriane?

Hi, we we're booked in September at the Hostellerie Vallon Valuges but found out it was half board that includes dinner. We don't want to eat in the same place everynight. Other choices would be Chateau Des Apilles or Domaine de Valmouriane. They both look lovely. How do we decide? Any opinions would be appreciated. Also, does one or the other offer rooms with terraces or balconies?

Jun 20th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Elsa

We stayed at the Chateau des Apilles last month. It was very nice as were the people who own it. We had dinner there 1 night and it was excellent. I'm almost positive there are no rooms with terraces or balconies in the main house. I believe there are some other accomodations on the grounds that looked from the outside like they may be suite/apt. type places, but I'm not sure. You could inquire re this. Those looked like they were 1 story and COULD have a terrace. They were just a 60 sec. walk from the main house.

Jun 21st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Lynne

Thanks for the reply Elsa. Did you stay in the main building? What was your room like? Did it include breakfast? Any info is appreciated.

Jun 21st, 2002, 09:34 AM
Elsa

Yes, we stayed in the main building so I know nothing about the units that are to the side of the main building. Our room was large with a settee and a couple of chairs. It was done in a dark fabric, which I wasn't crazy about - especially being in Provence. I like the "typical" colors & fabrics of the area. Ours could have been the only dark fabriced (I don't think that is actually a word) room, for all I know. Everything was nicely coordinated, it's just that I'm a "yellow" person - even at home. The bathroom was a nice size. I forget the rate, but I think it was probably the middle price.

Breakfast was not included. It was fairly expensive (I think 15euro - which is slightly under $15.) However, after looking around for a place to eat the first morning in St. Remy we decided to eat at the hotel. The bakeries don't serve coffee and the bars (where you get your coffee morning, noon, or night) only had somewhat dry bread or plain croissants. As much as we hated to spend that $$$ on breakfast, it was worth doing just so that we could get going in the morning without the hassle of walking around town looking for a place to eat. Besides, one of us is grouchy when HE doesn't have HIS coffee first thing.

The parking lot is gated and you punch in a code to open & close the gate. It's a 1 min. walk (if that) to the chateau.

We did stop in the Vallon Valuges for coffee. It is more elegant - at least the lobby - and the brochure shows a bedroom done in colors of Provence. It was not available when we were to be in ST. Remy. With that said, the Chateau des Apilles was just fine for me.

You can walk to town (10 - 15 mins. depending on how old you are or how fast you walk) from the HVV, whereas although the C des A isn't far from town it is not as close.

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Lynne

Thanks Elsa for the thoughtful reply. We're booked at the Vallon Valmouriane. It sound lovely, but they only offer pricing that includes both breakfast and dinner. My question is, if we are out traveling and having great lunches in different towns, would it be OK to eat at the hotel for four nights? Or did you find some great local restaurants in St. Remy. Would we miss out on local dining experiences for dinners? Where did you eat? Thanks in advance.

Jun 21st, 2002, 02:25 PM
dinner

Lynne: personnally I would not commit myself to 4 dinners in any hotel, whichever one. There are so many nice restaurants in the area and you may not feel like a heavy dinner every night, in the same setting even less..
I am surprised Valrugues wants to force you to have dinner. Did you book directly with them?

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:04 PM
Lynne

No, my travel agent did, but I did notice on an on-line reservation site that states they only allow half board, breakfast and dinner or lunch for high season. I plan on canceling that reservation for September once I decide between Chateau des Alpilles or Domaine de Valmouriane. Thanks for the help.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Elsa

We had dinner the 1st night at Ch. des Alpilles (excellent), then the next night at a small rest. in "town" run by a Swiss couple (very good, but I forget the name), 3rd night La Petit France - VERY EXCELLENT. Another night we ate at Jardin de Frederic. The food was good, but the service VERY slow. Although it may have taken a couple of hours like any other rest., it seemed slower b/c it was a kind of boring place. Lastly, we ate at a Relais & Chateau called Auberge de Noves which is just north of San Remy (about 15-20 mins). It was also excellent, and a much larger dining room. I think I had sea bass almost every night, b/c NONE of the menus were in English and I didn't feel like having the waiters translate the whole menu. Anyway, the sea bass was pretty healthy (low calories)after having croissants every morning and dessert every night. Although I am a dessert person, I very rarely order it out at home (almost never tastes as good as it looks - even in the best restaurants - so you waste the $7.50 NOT to mention the calories). However, the desserts we had were FABULOUS!

Search this Thread