Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Remy, Gordes, or Avignon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-remy-gordes-or-avignon-203178/)

debbie Nov 1st, 2001 02:51 PM

St. Remy, Gordes, or Avignon?

As a base, which would be better? Looking for a village with some activity - i.e., want more restaurant choices than just the hotel, and more than just one restaurant choice. <BR> <BR>We are looking for a nice, quaint place with atmosphere to stay (on a par with Villa Gallici in Aix) that is near enough to restaurants that we could walk to them at night. <BR> <BR>We looked at Regalido in Fontvielle, but it doesn't appear there is much other than that hotel in the village. We also like Crillon-le-Brave, but again, it didn't look like the hotel was near anything, or that there was much in that village either.

Fred Nov 1st, 2001 06:06 PM

I would vote for St Remy. A charming town, many restaurants within walking distance of hotels, easy in and out without traffic, convenient location for seeing everything. I would vote for St Remy. A charming town, restaurants within walking distance of hotels, easy in and out without traffic, convenient location for seeing everything. Check the Roman ruins a mile south of town. For Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

PB Nov 1st, 2001 11:35 PM

For a "quaint, nice place with atmosphere", that is also centrally located for seeing the sights, I would recommend St. Remy or Maussane-les-Alpilles, about ten minutes south of St Remy. I've lost track of the number of restaurants in St Remy, but here in Maussane, we have 18 at last count (in a village that, off season, has a population of 2,000). <BR> <BR>Gordes is charming, but not as centrally located, and is populated by more foreigners than French. And Avignon is a busy city, with all the traffic and noise that goes with being a city. <BR> <BR>Here are websites: <BR>www.maussane.com <BR>www.saintremy-de-provence.com <BR> <BR>You'll find hotels, restaurants, etc. listed in both. <BR> <BR>If you would like any personal recommendations, just email me <BR>PB <BR>

liz Nov 2nd, 2001 12:26 AM

I too vote for St. Remy. I fell in love with this place BIG time! Stayed five extra days in Provence because of it. It was just everything I had expected and more. Great base as well. Avignon is much bigger and I haven't visited Gordes. For an incredible meal experience in St. Remy (expensive as well but quite frankly, I thought it was well worth it!) try the Hotel Villacheurise (sorry if it's misspelled). I stayed there too and was VERY impressed with the hotel, the grounds, and the staff (skip breakfast though! :)).

Bob L. Nov 2nd, 2001 01:18 AM

Avigon: if you don't have a car or don't want to use one. The train and bus connections work well [they did for me] and using them gives you a unique view of the People of this area. <BR>The center of Avignon seems like a small town witn its ancient walls and is worth exploring for it's unique Papal history. <BR>

Jen Nov 2nd, 2001 06:57 AM

St. Remy...as you know from other e-mails! :-)

Bill Nov 2nd, 2001 08:01 AM

to PB, <BR>I have enjoyed and learned much from your past posts. <BR>We are planning to spend 3 nights in Menerbes in June. <BR>Do you think it is centrally located enough in Provence? <BR>We have stayed in St. Remey last year and enjoyed very much.

PB Nov 2nd, 2001 12:19 PM

Bill, <BR> <BR>Ménerbes is a good spot for exploring the Lubéron region. I like Ménerbes; I find it quieter and enjoy the lovely views from there. <BR> <BR>It does take a bit longer to get to places like the Pont du Gard, Avignon, etc. because the roads in that immediate are narrower and more winding, so it takes more time to reach a main road. <BR> <BR>But for visiting Bonnieux, Lacoste, Oppede le Vieux, Lumières, Rousillon, Saignon, etc. it's great to take those small roads and really see the countryside. Don't miss the Musée du Tire-Bouchon (Museum of Corkscrews). I've never found time to stop and visit it, so I'm waiting for someone to do so and let me know what it's like ! <BR> <BR>You can also take the back roads and wend your way down to Lourmarin and Aix - some of the scenery is rather spectacular. <BR>PB <BR> <BR>

Mary Nov 2nd, 2001 01:08 PM

St. Remy--we stayed there 2 years ago and loved it. Just do not stay at the Chateau Rousillon (I think that's the spelling). Cat litter boxes in the hallways! Quite unappealing.

Bill Nov 2nd, 2001 01:55 PM

to PB, <BR>Thanks for the encouragement. We will definitely stay in Menerbes. Will email you about the corkscrews. Best Wishes.