Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Remy and Bedoin itinerary critique, please and thank you!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I’d love some feedback on this general itinerary. We're leaving next Thursday, Sept. 17 from YYZ. The days aren’t really ordered, we just put down what we want to see, so we can switch things up as needed, Glanum closes Sunday.

We have one day from Bedoin that we need to fill, keeping in mind cliff driving or steep ascents or descents are out of the question. Are there any suggestions for that day?

Do any days seem unrealistic re time? We(DH) doesn't mind the driving, but we prefer a good proportion of leisurely days with time enough to stop and enjoy the views or take in a cafe break. In other words, he deals with stop and go traffic enough at home!

Last year we were in the Dordogne for two weeks in September, and missed the crowds. I'm guessing it's going to be busier in Provence, but fingers crossed there won't be hordes of tour busses and the roads won't be clogged? Downloaded Via Michelin and packed the GG and maps.

Here we go, and sorry if this post is too long:

Friday, Day 1, arrive in Marseille, 12:40 pm. Collect car, drive to Arles, overnight.

Saturday, Day 2, Explore Arles, drive to St. Remy for seven nights.

Sunday, Day 3, L’Isle Sur la Sorgue market, Petit Luberon (Michelin GG) taking the D901 to D900 and following it to Apt (walking tour) and then the D3 with stops at Bonnieux, Lacoste and Menerbes (if sufficient time).

Monday, Day 4, Les Baux de Provence, Carriere de Lumiere, Glanum, and Les Alpilles driving tour and/or walk or hike from Glanum

Tuesday, Day 5, Camargue, Aigue Morte

Wednesday, Day 6, St. Remy market, possible walk/hike in area, suggestions for an easy day?
Thursday, Day 7, Pont du Gard, Uzes

Friday, Day 8, Avignon, thinking of going into Avignon by bus rather than car, good idea?

Saturday, Day 9, Drive to Bedoin for seven nights stopping in Pernes les Fontaines, maybe Carpentras and Caromb along the way.

Sunday, Day 10, Return to the Luberon via Venasque, with stops at Abbe de Senanque, Village des Bories, Gordes, and Roussillon.

Monday, Day 11, Bedoin market day, easy day, low key suggestions for close to home? Walk or easy hike in the area?

Tuesday, Day 12, NW of Bedoin through Gironda, Seguret and Vaison-la-Romaine circling Dentelles.
Wednesdsay, Day 13, via Mormoiron to Sault and Montbrun via D1 or Gorges-de-la-Nesque (not climbing Mont Ventoux this trip).

Thursday, Day 14, Orange and Chateauneuf-de-Pape

Friday, Day 15, ideas for today?

Saturday, Day 16, drive to Nice, via A8, drop car at airport, bus into town

Sunday, Day 17, explore Nice

Monday, Day 18, bus East to Eze, Villa Ephrussi, Cap d’Ail and Littoral coastal path

Tuesday, Day 19, train west to Cannes and area for the day (or vice versa day 18)

Wednesday, Day 20, bus to airport, home, hope the dog and the house still standing
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Day 3 most shops will be closed in Apt. Same with Bonnieux & perhaps Menerbes too. Switch Senanque, Gordes & Rousilon (shops will be open) with Apt, Bonnieux, & Menerbes.

Day 6 visit the chateau in Tarascon.

Day 11 visit Crillon la Brave.

Day 15 from Bedoin, drive around the Gorges de l'Ardeche and visit Aven d'Orgnac cave - rated *** by Michelin.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Oops - I had you switching a Sunday for a Sunday because of shop closings on Sundays. Also forgot about the cliff driving.

Day 3 Market, Gordes, Roussillon.

Day 10 do the Mormoiron, Sault and Montbrun via D1 or Gorges-de-la-Nesque

Day 13 Senanque (so you won't be driving on the "shear drop" cliff section of the D117), Bonnieux, Apt, Saignon, Menerbes. This will be a full day. I would perhaps skip Apt if you are running out of time.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Montbrun and Brantes - lovely area, easy drive.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Yep - visit Brantes on Montbrun day.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stu

Does driving the D177 from south to north avoid driving on the air side of the cliff.

To be clear, you're suggesting
Day 3. St Remy to L'Isle, Gordes, Roussilon, return to St Remy via D900

Day 10. Bedoin to Venasque on D177 (avoiding cliff edge driving) Menerbes, Lacoste, Bonnieux, returning to Bedoin.

Is the Gorge possible to do avoiding the air side of the cliff. Hugging the mountain might be ok for sections, air side no way!

I really appreciate your advice, your guide last year was invaluable, and this one will be packed right along with the GG.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Definitely Brantes.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 10:17 AM

>>Does driving the D177 from south to north avoid driving on the air side of the cliff.<<

It is a one-car-width wide road that is "one-way only" - south to north from Gordes to Senanque. Shear drop on the driver's side - but extremely scenic with a fantastic view of the Abbey from up above. North from Senanque is 2-way road & not on a cliff. Leaving Senanque, you will have to drive north initially. The one-way section was 2-way sometime in the recent past, with "impossible" pullouts/garages if another car was encountered going in he opposite direction. It was very scary. We only went there in the early morning they & "prayed" that another car was not coming in the opposite direction. If you come & go from the north side of the Abbey, you should not have any problems. Actually, since the Lavender will not be in bloom - I would skip it unless you have an keen interest in Abbeys. Because you won't be on the section of the D177 south of the Abbey with the fantastic views - you won't get the "full experience". The guided tour is only "so-so", IMO.

See my "revised" suggestion for day 10 & 13

I don't recall the Gorge being very difficult or scary.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 02:42 PM

That drive is quite scary in parts to Senanque, it's amazing more people don't get killed, because it is so narrow.

Given you are staying in Bedoin, and you seem to have some extra time, I would visit north of there, such as Nyons and Grignan, it's lovely in that area and there are some things to see, like the chateau.

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/p.../#.Ve4PaNJViko
http://www.beyond.fr/villages/grignan.html

http://sablethouse.blogspot.com/2013...n-our-day.html

The Nyons market is Thursday, you could switch your Thursday and Friday that week and go to Orange on Friday. On the other hand, Nyons has a Sunday market in summer if you are looking for something to do on a Sunday. I'm not clear on those points as you seem to have Sundays full. It's just food, though, not a big grand market thing. The one on Thursday is bigger.

Perhaps you aren't aware of it, but Orange has its weekly market on Thursdays, also. It was quite nice, most of them are, actually. I did enjoy Orange and went on market day there.

Bus to Avignon from St Remy? Sure, why not if you find a schedule that is good. I did the reverse and it didn't work out that well because the bus I took was a local that took a lot of kids home from school (going back) and took forever, and the schedule wasn't very good, either. There weren't very many frequent departures from St Remy to Avignon, for example, in the afternoon. Things might have changed and you are doing the opposite, so if it works, why not. This seems to have bus schedules you can check out http://www.saintremy-de-provence.com...my-access.html