St. Petersburg to Copenhagen

Apr 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

St. Petersburg to Copenhagen

Hi,
I'm going on a trip in June and I'm planning on flying into St. Petersburg and flying back home from Copenhagen. I plan on traveling by train to various cities in between (stockholm, helsinkini, oslo and bergen if possible) What would be the best train route to take? any info on trains and any of these cities at all would be great, thanks!!
daniella
Apr 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Well if you just want info on point to point trains I've found the german rail site - bahn.de - to be the most useful. but it can;t give you prices for anything outside Germany. (There's a place in the middle of the page to click on English if you want - but frankly the site seems pretty transparent in German.)

If you looking to explore all sorts of different routings I think you need to get a complete Thomas Cook rail guide.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Daniella-- if you fly overseas SAS, you can get a $70 flight ticket inter-Scandinavia. I would suggest you train to Helsinki from St. Pete, then fly Helsinki-Stockholm. Train to Oslo, on to Bergen, on to Copenhagen.
Apr 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM

Donīt fly Helsinki-Stockholm unless time requires it. You would miss one of the worldīs most beautiful archipelagos. Train St.Petersburg-Helsinki. Another train Helsinki-Turku. Boat Turku-Stockholm. The archpelago between Turku and Stockholm is gorgeus, and you can have a stop in Åland in between if you you want. If you take the boat from Helsinki you would miss the scenery because it goes mostly on the open sea.
Apr 26th, 2007, 07:52 AM

I flew Helsinki-Stockholm and did NOT miss one bit of the Archipielago! e actually did it even better by taking a dedicated tour boat around the archipielago and then renting a car to DRIVE around the archipielago. Definitely not a deterrent, strongly recommend you get to Stockholm and explore from there. Plenty to do.
Apr 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, you were all really helpful! unfortunatley time-wise I think i have to fly Helsinki to Stockholm, anyway any other advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
daniella