Reload this Page >

St. Petersburg, Russia

Search

St. Petersburg, Russia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Steve

St. Petersburg, Russia

I am going to St. Petersburg in August. 2 questions:<BR><BR>1) Any idea on how to get a room at one of the really nice hotels for less than the outrageous prices I'm seeing on most of the internet booking sites?<BR>2) Any recommendations on hotels in general (maybe something nice that's not considered 5 star)? Anything less than 4 stars in Russia tends to scare me....<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Marc David Miller

With these requirements, I don't think you will find anything you will like in St Petersburg--there are only four hotels which are in the 4-5* category. You could try L'Angleterre (which is the lower-priced annex of the Astoria) and perhaps the SAS Radisson (at least last year they had lower promotional rates as the property just opened.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Karen

If you happen to have an American Express card and belong to the Awards Program, you can redeem your AmEx points for a number of different hotel chains....this has worked well for us. Karen<BR>P.S. Don't miss one of the Folklore shows while you're there. They're great!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Elizabeth

Steve: You might consider an apartment......I rented an apartment for three weeks last time and will do so again for my trip this September. Prices range from $50 US to $150 US per night........great alternative and located right in the best areas. Discounts are available if you stay 1 week......2 weeks....etc. E-Mail me directly.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Marc David Miller

Although I have rented apartments for my last three trips I tell people that it is a totally hit-or-miss proposition. Besides the basic fact that you don't have a staff at your fingertips (as you would in a four or five star hotel) you may get a dud of an apartment. Friends of mine rented from probably the most expensive/top agency in St Petersburg and were really disappointed in the level of service they received.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Marc David Miller

Although I have rented apartments for my last three trips I tell people that it is a totally hit-or-miss proposition. Besides the basic fact that you don't have a staff at your fingertips (as you would in a four or five star hotel) you may get a dud of an apartment. Friends of mine rented from probably the most expensive/top agency in St Petersburg and were really disappointed in the level of service they received.<BR><BR>I would say that if you get a personal recommendation you would be half way there, but there still is the lack of staff issue.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Christi in Houston

Stayed at the Sheraton Nevsky Palace and it is worth the big bucks. When we arrived, we checked in and went to our room. Opened the door and oops, someone was still in the room (actually just the luggage luckily) so the hotel made a quick change, apologised profusely and sent a bottle of bubbly to make amends. Nice. Great breakfast buffet... on the of the best I have seen. Too bad we had a tour and could barely stuff in a few blinis before leaving. Why not splurge? It is worth it.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:14 PM
Marcie

When we were in St. Petersburg we were on a cruise so didn't need to worry about a hotel, but we did visit the Sheraton Nevsky for a quick "pit stop" and found them very nice and a lovely hotel!! If I were traveling on my own, this would be my choice based on what I saw (many looked kind of old and shabby). Also, the idea of redeeming AmEx Award points works well since Sheraton is one of the AmEx partner choices. <BR>P.S. I second the opinion of taking in a Folklore show....very entertaining! Marcie

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:10 PM
Peter

When in St.Pete I also stayed in Sheraton Nevsky Palace, and this was a very good decission. Located walking distance to many of the attraction or by taking a bus (which has a stop almost across the street). This place is really worth every single penny I have paid for my tower room. Great breakfast , great restaurants. Staff very helpfull and polite. We wanted some tickets to a sold out Swan Lake ballet - and hotel got them for us for that evenings show (front seats for $70)<BR>I got a good deal for the rooms by going to www.Sheraton.com site. Avoid any Hotel taxies they charge 10x as one stopped on the street.<BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:11 AM
amy

Steve,<BR><BR>We found the same problem. Luckily we were planning to go during the first month that the Radisson had opened and were able to take advantage of 'promotional' rates. It was $140 per night, which may seem high, but was a bargain for this city. The rooms were huge and it was a lovely hotel with a big buffet breakfast. I believe I may have booked it through www.hotelselect.co.uk. Hope this helps. <BR><BR>And to Christi...'why not splurge?' Steve is seeking advice because clearly he does not want to, or perhaps is not able to splurge on an overly expensive hotel. Perhaps why not be a bit more sensitive?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:18 AM
Christi in Houston

To Amy<BR><BR>Was not meaning to sound 'insensitive", but I have travelled to many, many places and there are some countries that "a little splurge" is worth it and others where it does not matter. We have stayed in very economical places in Europe and no problems, but in St. Petersburg, some places in Africa, China etc, getting by with very little of the local language can be a problem and I think it is nice to know that perhaps you are better off with the best accommodations you can afford. Trust me, a 3 star in Russia is quite a bit different than say one in Tuscany. I wasn't being an elitest and sorry if anyone was offended.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Marc David Miller

The Nevsky Palace is no longer part of the Sheraton chain.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Mary

Hi Marc,<BR><BR>I saw your post on renting an apartment. Can you tell me what agencies you have used? thank you very much,

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Marc David Miller

I have used and recommended Pulford, although they are very expensive; there are some private apts. I have also recommended and used.<BR><BR>And the Nevsky Palace is no longer part of Sheraton; it is managed by Corinthian, a company on the US embargo list as it is partially ownered by a Libyan (remember Lockerbie? They still haven't settled).<BR><BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Deb

Steve, I felt the same way you did, especially after reading all the guide books that had scary things to say about everything that was less expensive. I decided that I was not willing to pay the $300+ per night and booked at Hotel Moskva. I was so nervous when I arrived that I was walking into a roach infested room but it was very nice. I did ask for a renovated room and the bathroom, linens etc were actually probably the nicest I had on my entire trip through western Europe.<BR>Service was a little slow in the hotel but not bad. It is two subway stops away from the Grand Hotel Europe and the subway is right outside the door of the Moskva. I can't read russian but it wasn't hard to take the subway once you know what color to take and how many stops. If you have other questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]