Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St.Petersburg - Moscow river cruise, some questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am making the St. Petersburg- Moscow 11 day cruise next month, on the 13th and I had a couple of questions to those who alreday did it:

- How does one dress for dinners, is it formal like in ocean cruises or more casual?

- Our cruise will be the last this season and I am afraid it will be cold. Should I pack only winter clothes or autumn,with some warmer jackets? I live in Portugal and at that time of year we are still wearing summer clothes.

- Do you usually have roaming in your mobiles during the whole cruise or only in Moscow and St. Petersburg? ( this question is more for European travellers)

Thank you very much in advance.

Teresa
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:31 AM

-Far less casual than a sea cruise, although on some of the ships men would feel more comfortable in jackets during the dinners

-The temperture can drop to close to the freezing point (although usually doesn't), so dress for autumn (and then again, it can get very warm!); the temperture would probably be no colder than the coldest you get in Portugal in the Winter

-Based on experience and reports, roaming will be available only about 25-50% of the time on the cruise outside of Moscow/Petersburg. Most of the ships can arrange for receiving of emergency calls
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Marc, thank you very much for your reply to my post. It was very helpful.I am so much looking forward to this trip.Thanks again.

Teresa
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:16 AM
PAC

I will be on the MS Rossia 24 Aug to 5 Sep. I will be home 7 Sep - please contact me then if you have any other questions with which I can help.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:29 AM
PAC

Oops - forgot the e-mail address - [email protected]
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:53 AM

I would not take any winter clothing, if it turns cold the markets will be filled with winter clothing. The weather in the autumn in Russia can change very fast, one day it may be 20C, the next day you might have snow.

On the ships the dress is casual, normal dinners are not formal. At the special dinners some did get dressed up but it is not a requirement.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Pat, thank you very much for your contact. I will email you after you are back, mainly to know what was the weather like and your impressions.Have a very nice trip, hope you enjoy it very much

Garfield, thank you also for the weather information. I am really not feeling like dressing winter clothes at that time of year. I think a warmer jacket and Autumn clothes will do.