Baltics Trip Report Summary
In May and June 2016, I took a 2.5 week solo trip to the Baltic States – Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia - and then from Helsinki took a ferry to St. Petersburg, Russia for three days. Then I took the ferry back to Helsinki, flew to the Netherlands for a few days, then flew home to the US.
I have posted a detailed “travel blog” (trip report) on my website below, including more detail, pictures, etc:
I'll post just a summary trip report here.
Here are links to view my photos from various cities:
St. Petersburg: www.portlandbridges.com/00,M25D0IMG38915,453,1,0,0-st.-petersburg-russia.html
Inside Winter Palace (Hermitage): www.portlandbridges.com/00,S1100IMG05729,454,1,0,0-hermitage.html
Ferry to/from St. Petersburg: www.portlandbridges.com/00,S1100IMG05695,452,1,0,0-s.-petersburg-ferry.html
The Hague: www.portlandbridges.com/00,M25D0IMG40182,457,1,0,0-netherlands.html
The primary purpose of my trip was scenic photography. I love history but have a short attention span and get bored in museums quickly. (In St. Petersburg, though, it's almost mandatory to visit the Hermitage – and I did.) Mostly I walked around, explored the towns, and took lots of pictures.
In May, one of my biggest worries was rainy weather; historically, most of the cities I was to visit were prone to a good amount of rain. But I was very lucky: I had almost perfect weather most of the trip, with only a few brief rain showers on a few days (I did not even open my umbrella, maybe the first trip I since about 2007!). While I was in Europe, Paris for example experienced awful flooding.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 2 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 3 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 4 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 5 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 6 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 7 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 8 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 9 Current plan for March trip
- 10 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 11 Spain in 2018
- 12 Rentals in Madrid , Spain-Select
- 13 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 14 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 15 First time in Spain
- 16 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 17 Schengen entry/exit stamps in Austria
- 18 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 19 Barcelona to Malaga
- 20 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 21 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 22 Best area to stay near Split for easy beach access.
- 23 beware of robbed in Milan
- 24 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 25 Which Area in London?
St. Petersburg, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia + Helsinki, Delft, & Amsterdam
Baltics Trip Report Summary