St. Petersburg in May

Mar 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

St. Petersburg in May

My wife and I will be in St.Petersburg,via a cruise, and would like to know if any one has taken the public transportation from the cruise pier to the Hermitage museum? How far is it, from the pier to the museum? Also, is it safe enough for the two of us to do alone? Thanks.
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM
MHS

Did the Princess cruise Aug 2001. You will need to obtain individual visas to put even a toe off the ship if you are not on one of cruise tours/cars. But that info should be in your cruise material. Also, it's quite a walk from the cruise area docks through a rather run-down dock area (at least when we were there) & I did not see any taxis waiting to pick up people.

A few of the crew did go ashore "alone" but they were experienced with the port.

It's a bit of a ride from the Hermitage to the pier. Much too far to walk -- but I'm not looking at a map, just from memory. Also, you would be standing in long lines for entry to Hermitage.
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:03 PM
MHS

PS - check out the cruise boards for more info & trip reports, if you haven't already.

Mar 5th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Are you on a river cruise? If you are on a river cruise the port is near the Obukhovo Metro Station, second stop from the end of the Green Line. The station is about 500 feet south of the river station, look for the M sign. Take the metro 6 stops to Gostiny Dvor Metro Station which is on Nevsky Prospect, the main street in St Petersburg. Head in a westerly direction on Nevsky, Nevsky will end at the Admiralteysky Proezd and the south side of Palace Square, you will see the Hermitage on the far side of Palace Square. The main ticket office is on the other side, near the river bank.
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the info. We will be on the celebrity Constellationfor 2 days in port. The cruise lines offer a side trip to the museum, but it is only for 3-4 hours. Any additional help is appreciated.
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM

It is certainly safe for you to go alone. I spend a week in Russia on my own and had no problem. It is not like getting around in a western european country though so you should ask the cruise line if they can arrange a taxi for you and hopefully they can give you suggestions on getting back. The metro is a good idea. I used it quite often but only when I knew exactly how many stops before I got off because I can't read Russian.
You don't say what time of year you are going but I assume it is summer, the day I went to the Hermitage was a Friday in late June and there was no line but on Saturday there was. Another thought is to hire a private guide that will pick you up and then take you to the hermitage. The person I used was around $8/hour. The guides also don't have to wait for entry to the museum.
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Visiting St. Petersburg by cruise ship is the most difficult way. You can't just step off the ship and enjoy the sights. The ship will dock in an isolated, ugly, industrial area. You will need to make advance preparations to be able to leave the ship, which includes getting the visa invitation from a source other than the cruise line's partner.

Next, I think it is foolish to try to struggle your way to the Hermitage. If it is a once in a lifetime visit, and since the time is so short and so precious, you should just splurge and hire a driver and guide. Otherwise you won't get to see nearly as much. In addition, this is a very different society. You should have a Russian with you.

But, if you want to get to the Hermitage on your own, here's what you do: walk to the main gate. Across the street is the Seasmans Hotel. Go in there. Maybe someone will speak English. Your goal will be to try to exchange currency and get some rubles. Once you have rubles, then you can travel. You go outside and wait for the 22 bus. It should be coming up the road on the hotel side of the street. Get on board. If your lucky the conductor won't ask you for the fare, but if the conductor is working, then hand them your lowest denomination and wait for the change. Ride the bus for 40 minutes (!) ...it is a very, very slow bus with many stops. When you get to Nevsky Prospect and see Kazanski Cathedral, get out and start asking people which way to the Hermitage, it would be better if you came with a map. Good luck getting back to the ship in time. If you want help: www.RussianGuideNetwork.com