Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Petersburg - help in selecting sites to visit

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Martha Digges

I will have limited time in St. Petersburg. I plan on visiting the Hermitage, but can only go to Peterhof or Pushkin. Which would you recommend if you could only visit one of these sites?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Marc David Miller

If you are going after the fountains open (I think from mid-May to mid-October, check at www.peterhof.org), go to Peterhof.

Pushkin is also a wonderful place, but would not be my first choice in the summer. Although I think the grounds are more interesting at Pushkin, the fountains at Peterhof are some of the most remarkable in the world. Also, the hydrofoil ride to Peterhof is quite fun.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Marc David Miller

Other sights that I like are:

Russian State Museum--dedicated to Russian art (many icons, unique historical paintings, and at times they have a fine collection of Russian avant-garde works on display--this summer will be an exhibit of Natalia Goncharova)
Dostoyevsky Museum--small house-museum that shows how some Russians lived in
the 19th century
Museum of Political History--spectacular mansion (formerly owned by mistress of Nicolas II), good exhibitions of 20th
century Russian history
Museum of Hygiene--one exhibit--Dr. Pavlov's dog, the mutt that Dr. Pavlov
experimented with to discover "Pavlovian responses"
St. Isaac's cathedral--I never had a greater sense of intimidating power as I had when walking through it
Kunstkamera--especially Peter the Great's collection of medical curiousities ('babies in the jar')

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Marc David Miller

Other sights that I like are:

Russian State Museum--dedicated to Russian art (many icons, unique historical paintings, and at times they have a fine collection of Russian avant-garde works on display--this summer will be an exhibit of Natalia Goncharova)
Dostoyevsky Museum--small house-museum that shows how some Russians lived in
the 19th century
Museum of Political History--spectacular mansion (formerly owned by mistress of Nicolas II), good exhibitions of 20th
century Russian history
Museum of Hygiene--one exhibit--Dr. Pavlov's dog, the mutt that Dr. Pavlov
experimented with to discover "Pavlovian responses"
St. Isaac's cathedral--I never had a greater sense of intimidating power as I had when walking through it
Kunstkamera--especially Peter the Great's collection of medical curiousities ('babies in the jar')

Also, remember that along with the Pushkin Museum in Moscow the Hermitage as the greatest collection of pre-World War I Matisse and Picasso works in the world.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Carson

I now have a new mission in life thanks to you, MDM. I WILL get a picture standing next to Pavlov's Dog. This is too good to be true.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Marc David Miller

Since Palladium insists on putting their non-responses up on every Russia posting, I will point out that they are not very competent: in 1999 I asked for them to arrange train tickets from Moscow to Smolensk and they thought that Smolensk was in Belarus. It is not, it is in Russia and the lack of knowing this simple fact caused my trip to fall through.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Marc David Miller

Note: Alexei from Palladium clarified that it was not his company that made mistakes on my train reservation to Smolensk.