Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Petersburg ...and Moscow (?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-petersburg-and-moscow-1038414/)

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 10:02 AM

St. Petersburg ...and Moscow (?)

I am considering a trip to SP in mid July for about six days.
MH keeps telling me I should also visit Moscow " while I am there".
I would travel on my own ( I can read the Russian alphabet, speak a bit).

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bedar Feb 22nd, 2015 10:13 AM

While Petersburg is lovely, we ( husband, daughter and SIL) preferred Moscow. It's a vibrant, capital city with much to see. Now that the Search function is working here, look for a TR on Moscow. I meant to bookmark it but then forgot. The couple toured extensively there and were an inspiration to me for a return trip. Good luck.

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 10:26 AM

Thanks...

Would 3 days in Moscow give be o.k.?

macanimals Feb 22nd, 2015 10:26 AM

Our visits some time ago to both locations produced a decided preference for St. Petersburg. It might have been the season or the guides we used but
SP was our hands down favorite. We took an overnight train between the two and it was an experience as well. Mind you, this was many years ago in 1998 and the opening of the country and its tourist industry has likely changed substantially. I'll never forget the private guards at the entrances to the hotel in Moscow although we were not aware of any dangers.

pknaster Feb 22nd, 2015 10:43 AM

St Peter by far is the best destination not only in Russia but in the world! in my opinion.!
But I do agree with your husband, while you are there it does make sense to go to Moscow. 2 days are plenty; Moscow is rebuilt for the most part, there are very few historic places left. Make sure to go to Moscow Circus, it is is a lot of fun. The trick is a private guide. I also read and speak russian (was born in St Pete), but the guide gets you everywhere without line and gives general info. I found one on line and made all the arrangements. In St. Pete make sure to get a guide with a car for out of the city Palaces except for Peterghoff, use a hydrofoil, fast and fun. Arrange for gold rooms in Moscow and Hermitage. . May through August are white nights and you can fit a lot in a day. Your guide can buy you a ticket to Marrinsky theater (ballet) as a russian at a cheaper price than a tourist. If you need more info re; what to do and see in St Pete and Moscow, let me know. Enjoy!

Odin Feb 22nd, 2015 12:09 PM

2 days is no where near enough time in Moscow. There are many historical places to go and you do not need a guide unless you want one. I would suggest 3 nights. White Nights in St Petersburg finishes mid July as summer comes early to that part of the world. I do not recommend the Moscow Circus unless they have stopped using animals in their acts. Many posters have not been to Russia for 20 years + and it shows in their recommendations. They still remember how it was years ago and think it is still the same. Moscow especially has changed. It is interesting to visit both cities, they are completely different, St Petersburg has a more European and a provincial vibe, it is baroque in style, whereas Moscow has the feeling of a great capital.

kja Feb 22nd, 2015 12:12 PM

I was glad I had 6 full days in each of these cities. Being able to transliterate will be helpful.

BTW, you might want to see if you can time your visit to St. Petersburg so it's during the White Nights -- it is a glorious time to be there!

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 12:33 PM

[email protected] the info. and suggestions

mc@I understand things have changed over the years

Odin@ I am interested in art ,architecture and history.., imagine that Moscow offers all.

kja@ we are coming back from Italy around 20th of May, I am trying to " space" my trips.
For now, just exploring airfares, hotels , total cost..

Perhaps ...
fly into SP
5-6 nights,
fast train to Moscow
4 nights
fly home

thursdaysd Feb 22nd, 2015 01:09 PM

I preferred Moscow to St. Petersburg, but I am not a fan of baroque. I would split the time equally, and/or consider stopping in Novgorod in between.

pknaster Feb 22nd, 2015 01:35 PM

I lived in SP for 20 years, Had been back 4 times, each time I stay 7-10 days and still have a long list of things to do and see. For the first time I would not stop in Novgorod. SP-6 night min. IMO overnight train to Moscow, 2 nights in Moscow. On subsequent trip you can do more cities in between or even consider Talin, Riga, etc. Keep in mind there are new regulations for travel in Russia, need to declare what city you plan to visit and when, so need to plan accordingly. Summer is very popular travel time for Russians, so long lines and crowded trains. Make your reservations early. It is very safe, no worries.

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 01:54 PM

obviously, the taste in cities is subjective.
Thanks. I don't like trains much....the faster, the better.

Bedar Feb 22nd, 2015 02:01 PM

Danon, your proposed itinerary above sounds good. You'll be able to see a lot in 4 days. I know that you are a "certain age" so you'll umderstand when I say there has been nothing like the thrill of being on Red Square. Just overwhelming for my husband and me.

kja Feb 22nd, 2015 02:08 PM

I think your plan makes sense. You might want to make it 5 nights for each city, but of course, that depends on what you want to see and experience.

I think the White Nights extend through 10 July this year, so you might be able to fit the first part of your visit to St. Petersburg in, even with some spacing between trips. :-)

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 02:10 PM

thanks @Bedar
I think you are right about the RS...iconic !

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 02:18 PM

kja@ I'll try!
One year, I was in Stockholm at the beginning of July....it was an experience!
( like I was in a movie " Insomnia" )

pknaster Feb 22nd, 2015 03:30 PM

The "official" white nights are until mid July, But days are very long through August; the sun does not go down till 9 PM. There fast trains between cities- 4 hrs (more expensive) or an overnight (saves time and a one stay at a hotel)

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 03:48 PM

pk@thanks
I checked the fast train...it is about hundred dollars...reasonable for 4 hours.

macanimals Feb 22nd, 2015 04:16 PM

I envy your opportunity to visit the Hermitage in SP, one of our all time favorites and would warrant a return for it alone.

danon Feb 22nd, 2015 04:24 PM

....I am hopeful...

nytraveler Feb 22nd, 2015 04:43 PM

We have been twice and both prefer St Pet to Moscow - but we are history freaks and and are in love with everything related to Peter the Great.

But I'm confused by some of the posts above. You say 6 days and people are giving you itineraries for 10 or 11. I would try to fit in more days if you can - or just do one or the other and really get a feel for it.