Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Peter's Tomb ... Scavi/Excavations at the Vatican (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-peters-tomb-scavi-excavations-at-the-vatican-99156/)

Ed Jan 8th, 2001 08:46 AM

St. Peter's Tomb ... Scavi/Excavations at the Vatican

Re: the Times of London article that ran last week: <BR> <BR>A friend in the tourism business called the Scavi office on Friday. The Scavi called "the rumor of any closing in the near future a myth." According to the friend "all is normal and up and running under St. Peter's." <BR> <BR>Ed

Gina Jan 8th, 2001 10:12 AM

Woo hoo! Thanks, Ed!

Paulo Jan 8th, 2001 10:28 AM

Nice job, Ed. Now we may proceed the "virtual hanging" of that incompetent The Times' reporter :-) <BR>Paulo <BR>

Jim Jan 9th, 2001 04:13 PM

I knew you would come up with the correct info on the scavi tours. Ican now plan on it in March. Thanks Ed. <BR> <BR> Jim

steve Jan 10th, 2001 01:32 AM

Hello Ed, Ciao Paulo, <BR> <BR>Well, - 'a good job well done', - Sherlock Holmes would have been proud of you! What a 'result!' <BR> <BR>I've followed this thread with interest since posting it. 'Don't shoot me, I was only the messenger' - I only posted what I read... <BR> <BR>I hope you've e-mailed 'The Times,' - you've done all the work, - you ought too... (And I thought it was one of our better papers...) It makes you wonder if their 'Rome correspondent' just sits at a desk in London reading 'Il Messaggero' on the internet! <BR> <BR>Tanti saluti e ... buon viaggio a tutti! <BR> <BR>P.S. There are vacancies at MI5... <BR> <BR>

Ed Jan 10th, 2001 03:22 AM

Hi, Steve. <BR> <BR>In fact I have written to The Times, using much of the helpful info Paulo unearthed. Just got a note back from David Hopkinson, Assistant Managing Editor (the "Letters" editor?) yesterday, claiming he is, "...inquiring into the matter ... will be in touch with you again shortly." <BR> <BR>Being a cynic I don't expect much follow up. But do let us know if anything pops up in the paper, Steve. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the original tip. <BR> <BR>Ed

Ed Jan 10th, 2001 06:28 AM

Steve, if you'd like a copy of the reply from the Times, now in hand, drop me a note with your proper e-mail address. <BR> <BR>Ed

Steve Jan 10th, 2001 07:17 AM

Hi Ed! <BR> <BR>Yes, please, - I'd love a copy! <BR>Should make interesting reading! Please send it to the above. Thanking you in anticapation... <BR> <BR>Steve James <BR>Bath, U.K.

Doug Weller Jan 10th, 2001 01:00 PM

I've received email today confirming a place on the 9:30 visit Monday Feb. 19th. <BR>Now to figure out how much in UK£ to send them to make $16! <BR> <BR>Doug

Walter Jan 10th, 2001 01:34 PM

Doug: Also received my confirmation today for March 13. <BR>You might try one of the many online conversion sites like www.oanda.com/converter/classic <BR>But to be on the safe side I'd round it off (10.7£ to 11£) and maybe throw in an extra 1£ and send them 12£. HTH Regards, Walter p.s. Thanks, I just discovered a few months ago how to make the £ sign and I've been waiting for a chance to use it ever since:))). <BR>

Walter Jan 10th, 2001 01:46 PM

opps I forgot: Thanks to Ed and Paulo for researching, e-mailing and posting on this and other threads about this "article". Regards, Walter <BR>p.s. I'm more in favor of a virtual "drawn & quartering" of the London Times reporter:).

Maira Jan 10th, 2001 02:35 PM

Grazie Mile to Ed and Paulo (and yes, you too, Steve!) for taking on this task and perform with shining colors!! I admit to be one of the ones following with keen interest and hoping to get to use my Feb 20's tickets!

Steve Jan 11th, 2001 04:35 AM

To Ed, Paulo and others who've been following... <BR> <BR>The Times correspondent in Rome stated in a subsequent article dated 08.01.01, (page 14):- <BR> <BR>"Vatican officials said that despite Italian press reports that humidity from visitors was damaging St Peter's tomb, beneath the Basilica, both it and the underground necropolis would remain open by appointment... <BR>Visits to the Vatican Necropolis: tel. 0039-06-698.85318 <BR> <BR>This 'amendment' to the original article frankly escaped my attention, for which my apologies to all concerned. <BR> <BR>Steve James <BR>Bath, U.K. <BR> <BR>P.S. Ed, - thanks for your e-mail! Check your in tray.... <BR> <BR>

Paulo Jan 11th, 2001 04:45 AM

Ed emailed the Times on the 5th ... just a coincidence, Steve :-)<BR>Paulo

Doug Weller Jan 11th, 2001 09:58 AM

Thanks Walter for the web site for currency conversion. I'll send £13 I think,a bargain at that!