St. Peter's excavation tour questions

Mar 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

St. Peter's excavation tour questions

What is the cost of this tour and does this get you access to any other part of Vatican? I just received confirmaiton of the St. Peter's excavation 12:30 pm tour.Do I need to make reservations to see anything else? Should I get there in the morning to do another tour or will there be time after excavation tour or can I stay into St. Peter's, etc? I would appreciate any details. Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM

This is a separate tour from the regular tour of St. Peter's. I would think you would have time to tour St. Peter's before you go on your 12:30 tour. And it's awesome -- we were just there last week. And also, the Sistine Chapel/Vatican Museum is another separate tour.
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Oh, I forgot -- the cost of the excavation tour (I'm assuming you mean the Scavi tour) is 10Euro per person, payable when you get there. If you're in St. Peter's square looking at the church, go to the left side and ask the guards where to enter. They will direct you.
Mar 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend a tour of Sistine Chapel/Museum and St. Peter's, one or both? Could we just walk around St. Peter's on our own after Scavi tour and take a tour of Sistine in am? When/where would you recommend getting a tour? How did you organize this? Thanks so much.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM

You can absolutely walk all around St. Peter's basilica on your own, taking your sweet time. It's a huge, magnificent piece of holy art. The Scavi tour takes about 1.5 hours and can be easily paired with other tours as there is not a lot of walking to make you tired.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend a tour of Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel in the morning? If so which one? Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Hi, juliann. I would get the tour for the Sistine Chapel, and then for St. Peter's I would walk around on my own. Maybe you could get a guide book before you go so you'll know some of what you're seeing. We're not Catholic, but still were fascinated by St. Peter's. It is such a beautiful church!

And the Sistine Chapel is, oh, so much better in person than in pictures. It's hard to describe how beautiful it is. I enjoyed our tour there quite a bit.

I can't help you with names of tour guides, because we had ours arranged for us through my husband's workplace.

I think you definitely have time to do a tour of the Sistine Chapel in the morning before your Scavi tour, and you might also have time, depending on what time you get started, to wander around St. Peter's Basicila before going on the Scavi tour.
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM

We actually did the Scavi tour and the Vatican Tour (Basilica/Vatican Museums/Sistine chapel) on separate days. The Vatican Tour took up the entire day as we toured the Basilica in the morning, had a lunch break and then toured the Vatican Museum ending with the Sistine Chapel. I would suggest you do the same, if you have another day.

Otherwise, it would be better to tour the Basilica in the morning before your Scavi tour and go the Vatican Museum in the afternoon. (The lines to get into the museum in the morning are notoriously long). This way you won't be in a rush to make your way out of the museum to make it to your Scavi tour.
Mar 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Samsaf: I have already scheduled a tour through the Vatican for the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. We will be there in a couple of weeks. Did you find there to be a lot of people at this time of year? Can we go on to tour St. Peter's on our own? Do we need a ticket for admission for it also? Is there lines for it? I think I have heard that you can go out the back door to get to St. Peter's after the tour??

Does anyone know if the tour taken through the Vatican gives a person enough time to really see the Sistine Chapel?
Mar 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM

We were sort of surprised by how many people there were last week. The only other time I've been in Rome was in August, and it was definitely less crowded last week than in August, but we still there would be less people.

We did the tour of St. Peter's and the Scavi tour on a different day, so I'm not sure if you could go straight from one to the other. I know you need a ticket for St. Peter's, but I'm not sure what it costs.
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Personally I recommend going round the basilica and the Vatican Museums on your own rather than with a tour. The museums are huge and only you will know what you want to linger over.

The excavations tour leaves you in the crypt under the altar of St Peter's, so you exit directly into the basilica.

I've always found that going to the Vatican museums at lunchtime means you can walk straight in, so I'd probably go there straight after the excavations and have lunch there if you need it.

BTW call me a old pedant, but congratulations on being precise enough to refer to the St Peter's excavations tour - most people here just refer to it as "the Scavi tour" as if they don't realise that a) scavi is just the Italian for excavations and b) there is more than one set of excavations in Italy and indeed in Rome.