St Pancras and trash..whats with that??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone else find that odd that there were NOOOOO trash cans in St Pancras? We had bought sandwiches and wanted to throw out the trash.. not one anywhere! even asked the police person.. He said there arent any.. I asked what are you supposed to do with it? We ended up ;leaving it on a cafe table..I just do get that.. there are all sorts of things you might want to throw out..it was so clean oddly. I wouldnt have been surprised to see trash in corners etc..
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Can't hve them because terrorists may use them for bomb setting i guess.

don't they usually have a low-cut paper box on the floor - in other stations seem to.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Yes, it is frustrating, but understanble, I always hope to encounter one of the regular sweepers/cleanup staff and hand them my trash. It seems rude and I'm always apologetic, but I don't know what else to do (and I do keep any trash to the absolute minimum).

I usually have a Costa takeaway latte with me before checking in (picked up at Paddington) and I simply go to the St. Pancras Costa with the empty cup and ask them to dispose of it.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM

No rubbish bins--this is clearly a legacy from IRA bombing days. Not just St Panc, but other terminals as well and some part of central London. Usually you see sweepers with a clear plastic bags, or similar clear bags near newsstand.

My real gripe on St Panc is absolute shortage of seating areas.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM

st pancras is a big disappointment in many ways. i hate that long snaky ikea couch that nearly completely cuts off areas of the waiting zone and interrupts the flow of waiting passengers.

for all the hype, the champagne bar is rubbish.

the signage is horrific and it seems that most people can't find their way to the eurostar terminals from the tube. disaster.

the whole place just doesn't work for me. it's not a comfortable, pleasant atmosphere. i'm not particular to one style of design ...it's just that this one does not work.

big thumbs down.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Walkinaround....I agree with you completely. Shortly after Eurostar had switched to St. Pancras I arrived from Paris and spent a frustrating time trying to find the First Capital Connect train stop to take me to Gatwick Airport. There did not appear to be any signage of help......I wonder if this has been rectified?
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM
yk

Ditto what W9London said. And it's not just St Pancras; most major train terminals in London do not have trash cans because of bombings.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
coxbox: I assume you were not in other stations during your visit, or this would not have seemed strange to you. There are no trash cans and haven't been for years and years.

If one lives there or visits often - it is just an ordinary thing. I'd much rather have to carry my bits of stuff than fear having some bomb blow my head off.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Parisian stations seem to face the same problem vis a vis terrorists but still have the low-cut paper boxes for trash - everything can be seen and they are cleaned out often - seems to work - there are also clear plastic bags in some of the boxes on the floor

and yes the signage sucked when i was there in Feb - nearly no signs for First Capital One trains practically until you were at their turnstiles

At one end of the station a crudely hand scrawled sign with First Capital One trains on it was taped to a wall. (i am NOT being anti-British in this posting - just pointing out a fact i encountered and i scoured that station for quite a while before finding the First Capital One station.)
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I do hate that...and in Westminster they dont even have garbage cans on the streets. I always have to carry my garbage home. But like what was said before, rather that then worry about bombs.

I also dont understand why we cant have the clear plastic bag ones like they do in Paris...
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Those SNCF cardboard boxes have been gone for quite some time. The Paris method in use in most places now are the clear trash bags attached to a metal circle. However, since they are ugly, you won't find them everywhere -- no trash bags along the Champs Elysées, for example, except inside the metro stations.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM

it seems simple, from the st pancras tube all you need are signs that say 'eurostar' with the eurostar symbol and font. instead you get some signs saying 'eurostar', some saying 'st pancras international' and some other ones all trying to say the same thing. i feel sorry for tourists who don't know their way. when you read a sign of this type, you shouldn't have to think about it for even a second. it should register in your brain immediately.

it's like driving down the motorway and having some signs in the same stretch of road saying 'heathrow' others saying 'heathrow airport', others just saying airport, and some saying 'heathrow international'. and you need to figure all of this out if you don't know english and have no idea where you are going.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

never did any of us think of all your answers! We did go to Paddington.. guess we didnt have trash then....I will think about it differently.. I just thought it was so odd.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM

They took away all the garbage bins in the railway stations in Sydney during the Olympics because of terrorists.