Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Michael's Mount----is it worth the trip from London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-michaels-mount-is-it-worth-the-trip-from-london-408461/)

jbarry5 Aug 5th, 2008 08:51 PM

St. Michael's Mount----is it worth the trip from London?

I'm going to be flying into Heathrow and staying in London from 3/27 (Saturday) to 4/5 (Sunday). It will be my first trip to London, though not to Europe. I was interested in seeing some things outside of London, but I'm afraid I'm going to over-crowd my itinerary.

I want to get to Paris for a full day and stay one night, I'll be visiting Canterbury for a day, and I also was planning on taking a coach tour to see Stonehenge/Salisbury/Stratford or something similar. I have been to Paris before, but I really want to visit again.

With all this in mind, do people think a visit to St. Michael's Mount near Penzance would be worth the trip? I took a look at coach schedules, and there is an overnight train from London to Penzance. I could save some time that way, for what it's worth.

Anyway, just interested in hearing what some of the more experienced travelers have to say. Is the itinerary already too crowded without the trip to Penzance? If you have visited St. Michael's Mount, what did you think? Should I simply spend more time in London?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

janisj Aug 5th, 2008 09:09 PM

You really don't have time for all the other things on your list, let alone trying to squeeze in St Michael's Mount.

It is a <b>very</b> long ways from London out on the very west end of Cornwall. It would take most of a day to get there and most of another day to get back. It is great BTW - but just not a day trip from London (or even a 2 day trip)

You have 9 days in London. Subtract most of day 1 for jet lag. Subtract day 9 since that is spent getting to the airport and flying out. You are down to 7 days. Subtract 2 days for Paris. 1 day for Canterbury. You are now down to 4 days for all of London. Then if you want to see Stonehenge/Salisbury/Bath - another day gone. Then Stratford (it is not near Stonehenge or Salisbury) another day shot.

It looks very much like you aren't interested is spending any time in London.

For a first time visitor w/ 9 days I'd recommend taking at most 2 days outside of the city, 3 in a pinch. But you are planning on at least 5.

Even if you spent all 9 days IN London - you would barely scratch the surface.

jbarry5 Aug 5th, 2008 09:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew I was trying to squeeze in too much; I suppose I just needed someone else to make it clear to me. I am interested (of course) in London, but I'm also interested in seeing so much more. So much to see, so little time. I suppose that's a typical complaint.

janisj Aug 5th, 2008 09:53 PM

A common dilemma :)

Just keep in mind - the more dashing about, the <u>less</u> you actually see.

GeoffHamer Aug 6th, 2008 12:15 AM

Using the overnight sleeper from London to Penzance would be good way of fitting in a visit to Cornwall. If you came back in the evening, you'd have eight hours or so to visit St Michael's Mount and St Ives.
Only you can decide whether you want a day in London or a day in Cornwall.

ribeirasacra Aug 6th, 2008 12:47 AM

Running a B&amp;B and having clients who stay one night I know you will not see anything if you travel every day. Please reschedule. You have to allow for travelling booking in and out of accommodation plus eating. All of this and more will eat into your time where you stay. So forget Paris for your so called day.

London to St. Michael's Mount is about 320 miles by road. that is one days driving. One way.

How will you get from Penzance to St. Michael's Mount?

Cholmondley_Warner Aug 6th, 2008 12:58 AM

St. Michael's Mount----is it worth the trip from London?&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

No. It's a mad idea.

VirginiaC Aug 6th, 2008 03:17 AM

St. Michael's Mount is worth a trip from London -- on your sixth or seventh visit to London. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

For a first time trip, I'd stick to the your plans for Stonehenge, Canterbury -- or even better, York -- Cambridge, or Brighton for trips out of the city.