Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   St. Margaret's Hotel, London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/st-margarets-hotel-london-268182/)

Peter Oct 24th, 2002 08:44 AM

St. Margaret's Hotel, London

Has anyone stayed here? It got a favorable report in the Washington Post and the web site looks nice, but... anyway, I would like first-hand opinions.

Tad Oct 24th, 2002 09:11 AM

This place is listed in the hotel section of the London destination guide on this Web site. Next to the review there is a link to a number of "Rants and Raves". Check them out. I stayed at the St. Margaret's in 1989, and, to judge by the reviews, it hasn't changed much. Expect a very budget feel -- TV blaring in the common room, etc. The "friendly" Italian managment gave me a tiny, windowless room for a 3-night stay. But others seems to have had better experiences.

S. C. DIXON Oct 24th, 2002 09:13 AM

I have never stayed there but I have a friend who’s been to London umpteen times and, though money is not really an issue with him, he will stay nowhere else. It is an excellent location and, though he says it is somewhat threadbare, the staff more than makes up for it with courtesy and cleanliness. Myself, I stay at a hotel that is run by the sister of St. Margaret’s management, the Celtic hotel.

Katherine Oct 24th, 2002 02:34 PM

Hi Peter, are you talking about the St. Margaret's on Bedford Place? Well first of all it is a fantastic location. I have met the people that run it and they are really really friendly. My mother and I had to stay down the street at Haddon Hall Hotel(practically that entire block is filled with budget hotels). We could not get a room at the St. Margarets. I would have to say it looked clean but do not expect the Ritz. You definitely will not be paying for decor..but who cares. Yes the rooms are going to be,as my grandmother says, &quot;Nothing extra&quot;. They remind me of a college dorm room. You have the essentials. My mother's friend goes to London every year. She will not stay anywhere else. It is so funny that I saw this post today because I was just talking about going back to London and booking. <BR>Haddon Hall which was halfway down the block from St. Margaret's was okay as well. The staff was nice. In the morning they served breakfast downstairs. My mother and I had a room that looked exactly like my room at College. You walked in and immediately on the left there was a twin bed. At the foot of the bed was a chest of drawers and then there was another twin bed against the far wall. We had a sink in our room. We also had an armoire for hanging clothes. The shower and toilets were across the hall. We saved money by not having a bathroom ensuite. I just brought shower thongs with me and purchased a can of disenfectant. <BR>Haddon Hall Hotel would be a good choice if you cannot get into St. Margarets. Do not go to the Lonsdale. <BR>I have not heard good things. <BR>To sum it up you are getting a great location at a budget. That is what I like personally. I would rather spend my money in other ways (Mother and I were there to buy antiques and silver)<BR>Anyway sorry to babble on but I think you get the idea. Good luck and hope you get a room there.

top Oct 24th, 2002 05:00 PM

ttt

Sue Oct 25th, 2002 02:04 AM

St.Margarets is a great place on a budget.