Reload this Page >

St. Margaret's hotel, Russell Sq.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:51 PM
elaine

Anyone have any comments to share re this London hotel? I have the website already and looked in rants and raves, but nothing comes up in the search on this forum

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:33 AM
elaine

anyone?

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:13 AM
ron

St Margaret’s used to be discussed regularly on this forum. I remember following it because we once stayed at the Thanet, directly across the street. Similar Georgian buildings. Based on our stay at the Thanet, and what I read about St Margaret’s, I wished we had stayed at St. M’s instead. As I remember, St Margaret’s has been under the management of the same Italian family for a long time, friendly, clean, but worn and threadbare. The location, of course, is great.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:54 AM
starspinners

Hi Elaine,<BR> I've never stayed at St. Margaret's but know &amp; like the area . ( I stay nearby at The Morgan Hotel).<BR>I had made a copy of an article that was in the Oct 20, 2002 Washington Post , this is what was said about St Margaret's:<BR>&quot;Unlike many Bloomsbury hotels, St. Margaret's is on a quiet street and thus relatively peaceful. The rooms, though not recently refurbished, are bright and comfortable and many retain their original features. The staff is very friendly and there are plenty of comfortable lobbies as well as a lovely garden in the back that looks onto the Duke of Bedford's private gardens. There is no elevator, and not all rooms have private bathrooms.&quot; <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
s.fowler

Ron is right on the money -- spotless, threadbare and well managed. Not &quot;pretty&quot;, but makes up for it in the other values.<BR>I'd search on bedford to see if some of my longer comments will pop up for you

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Laurie

Dear, dear Elaine,<BR><BR>You've been so helpful to so many (including me!) I just had to help you. I've brought up on old string called small (or inexpensive-can't remember) hotels in central London. While it doesn't mention St. Margaret's, it does mention several in the same area around Russell Square. When I was in college (more years ago than I care to mention) a group of students (including me) stayed at 2 b&amp;bs -the Jenkins and the Avalon (2 different places) on Cartwright Gardens very near the British Museum &amp; Russell Square. Both of these are mentioned in the string I topped. Clearly haven't been in years but I did check prices on the Avalon just now &amp; they post 29-59 GBP for a single plus a 5% discount from the website I checked.<BR><BR>In a totally different area, I've stayed at The Line Tree Hotel (www.limetreehotel.com) on Ebury Street. It's also a B&amp;b but I think all rooms have private baths. It was very nice &amp; clean &amp; has a great wine bar next door. Hope this helps.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Laurie

It's LIME Tree Hotel (sorry for the typo) and the thread is &quot;Small hotels in central London&quot;

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:04 AM
elaine

thanks laurie and s.fowler

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:38 AM
S. C. DIXON

I have often stayed at the Celtic hotel in Russell Square; the managers are family with the managers of St. Margaret’s. I have a friend who, though he could afford to stay pretty much where he pleases, always stays at St. Margaret’s because it is clean, quiet, and “homey.” Not the Ritz, to be sure, but its been home to him for more than 10 trips.