COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Malo or Dinon-where to stay for 4 nights

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Lee

We will be in Brittany & Normandy for about 14 days in OCt.We'll start out in Rouen & then on to Bayeux for 4 nights. We then want to head west, stopping on our way during the day at MSM. Now the question: since this will be cool weather or maybe more, would St. Malo still be a good base being that it is seaside etc.& a bit farther north? Or would Dinon be a better choice for that time of year? We could of course still visit St Malo for part of a day. Anyone familiar with Dinon-is it a 'chariming town',good restaurants,market days etc. Where would you visit in the area for those couple of days if we stayed at either of the two towns?
Of course, since Rouen is inland & Bayeux7 later we head for Quimper,should we have the 'seaside' experience?
Many thanks. I love reading this board.
Lee

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 05:47 PM
StCirq

DinAn is what I think you're talking about, and yes, it's a good base, better than St-Malo, which is trafficky and not that cool for that long a time. Four nights might be a bit much. I would suggest you contemplate someplace like Fougères or Vitré, lovely towns with lots to keep you interested but well within the perimeter of the area you presumably want to visit.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Lee

Yes, of course I meant DINAN. Thanks for pointing this out so early on. Please forgive.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:33 PM
clairobscur

Personnally, I would choose Dinan, but it's really subjective (I find the historical St-Malo a little stern, too touristy and anyway I prefer medieval towns), since a lot of people positely love St-Malo. St-Malo is way busier than Dinan, but you won't notice the difference if you stay inside the walled town or very close to it. I wouldn't advise you to pick an hotel somewhere else in the town, though.

Since St-Malo and Dinan are very close to each other it won't make any difference concerning weather. If you have a car, it won't make any difference concerning the places you could visit, either. If you intend to rely on public transportations, St-Malo will be much more convenient.

And I support St-Circq advice about Vitre and Fougeres which are two lovely medieval towns in the same area, but at some distance from the coast (perhaps less windy???). Also, if you have a car you could want to go to the Cape Frehel and visit Fort-Lalatte (a castle build on a cliff above the sea)

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Lee

To Clarobscur:
Thanks for you comments. What do you mean by "not to pick a hotel somewhere else in town". I would assume that Dinan is a small place. So you're saying just to stay near or in the walled area.? I don't have any town info on Dinan yet-except for Fodors & Frommer's-& don't know the layout yet.
Any suggestions as to where to stay?
Thanks for your imput.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:04 AM
JOdy

Lee..

We are doing the same trip in October. I have just purchased 2 Normandy Brittany itineraries that I downloaded. If you'd like them email me.

we can't decide either where to stay

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:55 AM
jw

http://www.dinan-tourisme.com/index02-us.html

Maybe ten years ago I stayed in Dinan for several nights and thought it was a beautiful place. We stayed at the Hotel de Bretagne, but I can't remember much about it except that it was a bigger hotel than we usually choose. It did, however, have a nice restaurant and a good location within the walls. There is Dinan outside the walls, too, but that will not give you the feeling of being in an old town. The hotel's site is hotel-bretagne-dinan.com. If I remember correctly, the old town has several pretty hotels. Maybe some more recommendations will be added here, or maybe you can use the Dinan Tourisme site above as a place to start. I really think Dinan is a great place to stay put for several nights and tour the area including the mount. J.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:26 AM
Lee

Jody,
Is that a valid e-mail? I tried to get in touch with you & couldn't
get through. If you would prefere, you can mail me first.
Lee

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
JOdy

Lee,

I'm beginning to think the only mail yahoo delivers is JUNK!! I will email these to you is it frelan or frelen?

They are really quite good!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Lee

JOdy: it's frelen
Thanks. Looking forward to reading them.
Lee

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:03 AM
clairobscur

Sorry, I poorly expressed my self . When I wrote "not somewhere else in the town" I was refering to St-Malo, not to Dinan. Apart the walled city and the beachfront (which is close to it anyway), the rest of St-Malo is pretty unimpressive (and even ugly at places, IMO). Dinan is indeed a little town.

However, even in Dinan, you'll probably be more pleased if you stay in the medieval part of the town, but it's indeed less important since you won't be long away from it anyway.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:23 AM
JOdy

Lee, They should be in your email now. If they don't come thru clearly , I sometimes have trouble sending to AOL addreses, let me know and I'll print them out and mail them to you.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:49 PM
Lee

Thanks as always for your knowledgeable advice. It's much appreciated-at least here.
So I think we have crossed out St.Malo as a place to stay & will consider Dinan. But are you saying that you think that Fougeres would be an even better choice to stay. Yes, we'll have a car & intend to visit many of the towns during the day, lunch etc.

Any other comments?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 03:58 PM
StCirq

Lee: I've been to Fougères far more recently than I've been to Dinan, but I would say if being close to the ocean is the important factor, then stay in Dinan. If having a slightly larger town with potentially more to see and do might turn the tables, stay in Fougères (but not at the Hotel Balzac,where we stayed - lovely staff and cute place, but minuscule rooms and noisy at night from street noise below). If you can get to Vitré, do so.