St Lazare train station Paris

Mar 22nd, 2015, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

St Lazare train station Paris

I hope you all don't get tired of my questions but I am just starting to plan a trip for 2016.

Our arrival on a overnight flight from Canada will be Paris. We are just thinking of spending Saturday night in Paris before heading off to Caen. I am sure Paris is beautiful but it is just the arrival spot but would like to look around a bit.

We will be taking the train from St Lazare to Caen at some point On a Sunday.

My first question is that I can't seem to really find is how close this train station is to Charles De Gaulle airport? Is it very far? What is the easiest way to get there? Would you suggest spending the night closer to the train station or in in Paris?

Thank you for any input or experience you can offer.

Kim
Mar 22nd, 2015, 07:34 AM

" Would you suggest spending the night closer to the train station or in in Paris?"
Closer to which train station?
Mar 22nd, 2015, 07:36 AM

St. Lazare is as far from CDG as the rest of Paris.
Mar 22nd, 2015, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Sorry St. Lazare. That is apparently the station I use to get to Caen
Mar 22nd, 2015, 09:01 AM

CDG airport is far from the center of Paris. You can take a taxi, take one of the airport express buses, or take public transportation - the RER train. You can use the Metro train within Paris to get around and connect between RER and Metro.

I'd just get a hotel somewhere in Paris not too far from the St. Lazare.

There are lots of easy-to-find web guides for getting into Paris such as these:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1....From.Cdg.html
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/pa...blic-transport
Mar 22nd, 2015, 09:21 AM

From CDG you can also take I believe Air France or airport buses to Opera - smack right near Saint-Lazare station and in the center of Paris - rather than just stopping in Paris for a day you may be jet-laged either take the RER - RER B from CDG to Gare du Nord - then follow 'corespondance' signs (meaning how to change lines - correspondance from RER B to RER E - you follow the signs for 'correspondance RER E and then take it right to Saint-Lazare station.

When you buy your RER ticket at CDG's RER stations ask for a thru ticket CDG to Caen - it will then cover the RER fare as well so you have no hassle buying that ticket separately - ask about it when buying your RER tickets at CDG - they will speak good enough English at the airport RER station - you will get a separate RER ticket and Saint-Lazare-Caen train ticket at CDG.

A full-fare Saint-Lazare-Caen ticket can be used on any train on that line (again confirm by asking when you buy your ticket) so just hop on the next of about hourly Paris to Caen trains - you do not need seat reservations on most of those trains if not all - you can make an optional reservation when buying your ticket but IME that is not needed except at rush hours perhaps.

Then hit the hay in Caen - better to be wiped out from jet lag there then in Paris.

For lots of great info on French trains in general check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Mar 22nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

This info is very helpful thank you all so much. I am a total type A personality planner and sometimes over think things so appreciate all your help

kim
Mar 22nd, 2015, 03:02 PM

Tools:
www.parisbytrain.com This blog has photos of St-Lazare and lots of other useful advice.
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/visiting-paris/ The guide to Paris rapid transit. Its interactive guide will detail your commutes.
http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ I presume you know this site for train itineraries and tickets to Caen.