Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Germain: which hotel...Hotel Verneuil, Hotel des Marronniers or Hotel Saint-Germain-des-Pres?

St. Germain: which hotel...Hotel Verneuil, Hotel des Marronniers or Hotel Saint-Germain-des-Pres?

Mar 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Bonjour! We are going to Paris in mid-June for 5 days. Would like to be in the St. Germain area. These three hotels basically have the same rates/rooms as far as i can discern. Anyone have comments to help persuade me?? Merci beaucoup!
Mar 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM

I'd go with the second one. A friend used to manage it so I've seen it and been there many times and I stayed down the street at a place owned by the same owner. Plus the neighborhood is very nice. I've stayed in that area since 1981. What street is the first one on? I know where the third one is, but still prefer the second one. Happy Travels!
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Another great small hotel in St. Germain is Relais Christine. It is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels. It is charming, quaint, rooms are small but arent they all in Paris. Great Spa as well. Rooms overlook a garden. Check it out.
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM

I've stayed at both the Verneuil and the des Marronniers. They are just a few blocks apart and the location is great .The rooms at both are on the small side but very nice.Our bathrooms at the Verneuil were large and well-stocked with nice products. I noticed on a previous trip the des Marroniers was doing some outside renovation but I'm pretty sure when we were in Paris in November , the scaffolding had been removed.

Either is a good choice
Mar 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Guenmai, the Verneuil is on rue de Verneuil, 1 block down, toward the Seine, from rue Jacob
Mar 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Have you chosen your hotel yet? I stayed at the Verneuil twice and it's a very nice place. First stay was in a standard room which I don't recommend if you're two people. It's quite tiny except my bathroom was large almost as large as the room itself and very nice. Second stay was in a deluxe double room which was much larger than the standard yet not huge at all. The bathroom was much smaller in the deluxe room, but as usual it's marble and well-stocked and really nice-comes with bathrobes too in deluxe rooms. Only thing is the elevator starts one flight of steps from the lobby. Desk staff are helpful except for one lady who can be stressed out at times.

Location is very convenient for the St. Germain area although it's actually in the 7th. It's on the borderline of the 6th and 7th. Restaurant choices in the hotel's immediate area are a bit limited alhtough we liked the Bistrot de Paris on rue de Lille. And it's a short walk to Blvd. St. Germain and its many restaurants and cafes. The area up by Mabillon has many nice restaurant choices.

I've never stayed at Hotel des Marronniers, but it is cloeby the Verneuil and looks lovely. They are popular for their garden.

I think either one would be a good choice except for small things like Verneuil offers minibars and Marronniers doesn't.