Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Catherine Laboure and St. Therese of Infant Jesus

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:00 AM
carol

Hello to all. Has anyone been to the Mother House of the Sisters Charity, St Catherine Laboure (Paris) or taken a side trip to visit the grave St. Therese in Liseux (sp?) I'm curious as to the best day to go etc. Thanks --Also I'm a rotten typists--is there a spell check button anywhere on this site. It's so embarrassing for me to read my post a day or two later and see all those typos, ouch!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:17 AM
elvira

I visited the Mother House in Paris a couple of years ago; the church is very pretty (not grand, pretty) and she's on display (or was when I was there). There's a little shop with religious articles for sale, including the Miraculous Medal.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Alec

I went to Lisieux a few years ago and visited the Carmelite convent chapel where St Therese's body is enshrined. Very peaceful, full of fresh flowers, very prayerful. It was a weekday in August, and wasn't too crowded. There is a small museum attached showing artifacts from her life. The basilica, on a hill overlooking the town, is vast neo-classical building of little merit, but again full of pilgrims and devotional atmosphere. We drove, but you can reach Lisieux easily by train from Paris St-Lazare in 2.5 hours, changing at Caen. In the town of Alenšon, further south from Lisieux, St Therese's birthplace is open to the public (free), which has been tastefully preserved much as she must have known it (her father was a watchmaker), with leaflets in many language explaining her family and childhood.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:30 PM
anne

visited the mother house about 2 months ago on a Sunday. It didn't open in the afternoon until 2:30 pm. A fair number of people had lined up to get in when it (re?)opened but it wasn't crowded. Both Louise and St. Catherine Laboure are on display in the chapel. Regards, Anne

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:36 PM
kam

Visited Lisieux--pretty, prayerful and not touristy. Bought a rosary for my mom.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:57 PM
carol

Thanks for all of your replies. Now I have another question. If I take the train to Lisieux, does anyone know if it is far to St. Therese's shire or would I have to take a taxi. I assume that there will be a local tourist office at the station with directions; does anyone know.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Alec

No, not far at all. Coming out of the station, take Rue de la Gare along the railway track until it meets Rue du Carmel. Turn right and you'll see the Carmel on the right. About 5 min on foot. While you are there, be sure to visit the cathedral of St-Pierre and a bit further north on Bd Herbet-Fournet, Les Buissonnets, where her family moved to from her native Alenšon. Before you take the train back, you can climb the hill along Av Ste-Therese to the Basilica, from where the station is about 5 min walk downhill across the river. I think in the summer there is a little tourist/pilgrim train that circulates among all these sites.
Have a lovely time and please ask Ste-Therese to pray for me.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Lynn

Hi, Carol. You are the Carol who is traveling with David? How was the Gustavia? and Mount Blanc? Hope you're having a wonderful trip.
Love -- Lynn

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Tracy

Hi Carol

Yes, everything is walkable in Liseux. And there are frequent, direct trains from Paris St.-Lazare . . . it's a major hub.

Here's the town layout:
http://www.ouest-france.com/tourisme-normandie/plan.htm

And some details about pelerinage (pilgramage) sites:
http://www.france-ouest.com/lisieux/fr/pelrense.htm

HTH and have a joyous trip!
= )

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:12 AM
carol

Many thanks to all of you who helped to answer my queston! Alec, thanks for the directions, I'll be sure to take them along with me and I'll ask our friend St. Therese to keep you in her prayers. Lynn, sorry, but I not the Carol who's traveling with David.