St Andrews Golf Course, Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although over my life time I have taken up a few clubs (mostly hip-hop ones) and walked around some greens, I would hardly consider myself a golfer. However, the opportunity to visit the birthplace of golf should not be missed if one has any interest in the sport.

About 45minutes or 2 hour away depending on the route you choose, St Andrews Golf Course is a relatively short and easy drive from Edinburgh, Scotland.

Surprisingly, The Old Course is open to anyone with just a few minor restrictions (handicaps) that any half way decent golfer could easily meet. Since I am way below half, I easily remove myself from the opportunity to do so. However, there are other courses available here for want to be golfers like myself to play.

I am honored to just walk around the course and in particular to stand on the green of the 18th hole and cross over Stony Bridge. I think I can now safely say I have stood in the steps of some of the finest golf legends.

As a matter of principle maybe that makes me an “OK Golfer.”

Video:
http://youtu.be/CLaK07MhFaQ
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Have they renamed the Swilcan Bridge?
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

colduphere,

No, it was referred to as the "Stony Bridge" by a desk clerk at the clubhouse. It is actually a stone bridge over the Swilcan Burn.

But as Shakespeare would say "What's in a name?"

Is Swilcan Bridge by any other name not still the same
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 10:56 AM

DMBTraveler - I see were both away for New Year's Eve. We were in Peru.

So my story about the Bridge is as follows. The first time I played St Andrews I hit my drive on the 18th well to the left. That is the safe drive as up the right side is out of bounds. The left side ... well there is no left side as the fairway is shared with #1 and (as you now know) is very wide. As I was crossing the bridge I saw a fellow coming down #1. In fact I watched him hit my ball to the first green. I approached him and told him what he had done. At first he denied it and then he said "Ah for F's sake, sorry, I flew all night from Cincinnati. I am dead tired and don't even know what I am doing out here." And then he walked away.

So I hit his ball to the 18th green.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

colduphere,

I always try to be some place different for the New Year. It's nice to celeberate it with different people and cultures. For 2013... Maybe Hong Kong

I am jealous you actually got to play the Old Course and what a cute and memorable story.

Will check out your Inca Trail report ... I have been to Peru but not on the Trail
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:14 AM

Still following this...
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Sheila,

Glad to have you along ... more to come

I see you are from Scotland.. Do you get any of the Northern Lights show up there?

It's my next adventure, probably in Norway or Finland but I have read that there are locations in Scotland where the viewing can also be good.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM

To be pedantic there isn't a "St Andrews Golf Course". The Old Course is one of seven courses at St Andrews Link - and there's another four courses elsewhere in St Andrews
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

alanRow,

I love people that are pedantic. They help me learn new things, thanks for the enlightenment ... Fore!

Or is it Four?
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:10 PM

Cold, it might be wide but Baker-Finch still managed to knock it out of bounds on the left from the 1st tee in the 95 Open

I read that Jack Nicholson was on the first tee there and shanked his tee shot, Jack said to his Scottish caddie after teeing up another ball "in America we call it a mulligan what do they call it Scotland", the caddie dryly replied "3 off the tee"
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:17 PM

Wow Geordie I had forgotten that. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66eCwhzb8rA

A member of our group did that in 2006. But he was a 36 handicapper using a somewhat altered handicap certificate. I think the starter had his suspicions after watching my friend tee off.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 11:11 PM

We do get the Northern Lights, and, indeed, there was a stunning display last week- have a look at the Fodors Friends page on Facebook- but you can't rely on it. For to be sure, I think you need to be in the Arctic.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Sheila,

Thanks for info. Planning to visit Tromso next month. Saw pictures from light show in Finland last week.

Hope I get lucky during my visit for the same or better light show