Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Squatty Potties in Germany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/squatty-potties-in-germany-610316/)

PJK Apr 24th, 2006 02:50 PM

Squatty Potties in Germany?

Forgive me for this question. I'll be mostly in Bavaria. Should I start working on my squatting muscles or will most of the stools be the type we have in the U.S. I was surprised last year to find predominantly squatties in several Tuscan towns as well as the Cinque Terre. Thanks, PJK

J62 Apr 24th, 2006 03:29 PM

rest your weary legs. every commode I've ever encountered in Bavaria is of the sit down variety. happy travels.

enzian Apr 24th, 2006 03:30 PM

I have never seen one of those anywhere in Germany.

traveldawg Apr 24th, 2006 03:43 PM

I was stationed in the Army in Germany in 1970/71. I never saw one of these things then and have never seen one on numerous trips back in the last 35 years. I do not think you will find one now.

Maire Apr 24th, 2006 03:58 PM

Guess I need to change my itinerary from Italy to Bavaria to avoid these....just kidding!

P_M Apr 24th, 2006 04:26 PM

I've seen squatty potties in various parts of Europe, but I don't specifically recall seeing one in Bavaria. On the chance that you do see one I recommend not wearing sandals, as the splash zone can extend to a wide radius.

Having said all that, it wouldn't hurt to tone up your squatting muscles anyway. In every part of the world including the USA, I have found sit-down toilets that were so disgusting that I squatted by choice. :&

Postal Apr 24th, 2006 05:55 PM

I've been all Germany and can assure you that your chance of coming across a squatty potty there is about nil. In addition, several of them have have automatic seat cleaners that clean the seat for the next person after you flush! Really bizarre looking!

PJK Apr 24th, 2006 06:01 PM

Thanks for the responses. Whether my problem is psychological or physiological, I don't know, but I sure have trouble with anything but the sit down variety!

alanRow Apr 25th, 2006 03:33 AM

But why has no-one mentioned "the shelf"?

P_M Apr 25th, 2006 03:53 AM

EEEEWWWWWW, the shelf!! Like you really want to see your results one last time before flushing....

RufusTFirefly Apr 25th, 2006 06:43 AM

I remember reading a news story some years ago about outraged Japanese moms of school age children.

Someone was proposing Western-style toilets to replace squat toilets in the schools. The moms were demonstrating against this change that they felt was so unsanitary.

From a physiological viewpoint, squatting is actually better for achieving desired results. It is also good for your knee and hip joints--keeps them lubricated and more flexible.

esm Apr 25th, 2006 06:47 AM

I don't know about Germany. On a trip to China, I was so glad the squat option was available. The state of the western style was unbelievable.