Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spring Skiing in the Alps? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spring-skiing-in-the-alps-281390/)

Ladia Dec 26th, 2002 06:32 AM

Spring Skiing in the Alps?

My husband and I have a wedding to go to in Venice on April 5th. We are intermediate skiiers and thought a ski trip to the Alps would be a wonderful addition to the wedding weekend. We thought about driving from Milan or Venice to Zermatt? How is the skiing there the first week of April? Also, Cortina is closer to Venice, but I hear there isn't much snow then. Do you have any ideas for us? Also, is the Zermaterhoff in Zermatt worth the money? Thank you very much for your help!

John Dec 26th, 2002 08:50 AM

Hi Ladia:<BR><BR>Ned more info!! Not sure where you are starting out..Venice or Milan? How much time do you have? First off Zermatt is too far to drive, better by train. If I was comming from Venice then Cortina would be my choice..but you are right about chancing the snow..but it would be glorious spring sking on what snow was available!!. From Milan I would head to Cormyeur (sp) near the French border.<BR>JOHN

Myriam Dec 26th, 2002 09:41 AM

<BR>Ladia,<BR>Have you considered Austria? The Kitzb&uuml;hler Alps (Kirchberg, Zell am See, ...) or the Zillertaler Alps (Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller, ...). Skiing is possible from December until April. Also good apr&egrave;s-ski, wellness, etc.<BR>One minor point: Easter holidays will start on 6th April in many European countries with lots of skiers heading to the winter sports resorts. <BR>Try to go before April 6th, if you can.

Ingo Dec 26th, 2002 01:06 PM

Ladia,<BR><BR>skiing in Zermatt is perfect in April. I would not go to the Zermatterhof; Hotel Monte Rosa or Hotel Julen offer more value for less money. <BR><BR>The snow conditions in Cortina will be quite bad - as well as in the Kitzbueheler Alps and the Zillertal.<BR><BR>I think you should consider to go to St. Moritz area, maybe stay in Sils. It is easy to drive there from Milan (2 hours) and very snow reliable (resort up to 3300 m).<BR><BR>For accommodation check the five star Hotel Waldhaus in Sils www.waldhaus-sils.ch It *is* worth the money!<BR><BR>Happy travels<BR><BR>Ingo

Richard Jan 3rd, 2003 11:40 AM

Ladia,<BR><BR>ZERMATT is a great place, with many alternative resorts nearby. For skiing in spring, I would also recommend places with northern slopes such as Saas Fee, Grimentz/Zinal or Verbier, but not Montana-Crans, because it is too exposed to sun.<BR>SKIING conditions in April have been mostly good to excellent during the last few years. I always recommend to spend skiing holidays in March or April: days are longer, snow is abundant and the weather is certainly better than in December or January (December has been a pretty bad month for skiing during the last ten or so years. this year worse than ever).<BR>ZERMATTERHOF: I have been at this hotel some years ago and was very happy with everything. But it is also true that Zermatt has a relatively large choice of hotels, and standards are always excellent.<BR>

Ladia Jan 9th, 2003 11:59 AM

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all of the advice! We are starting the trip in Zurich then going to either Austria or Zermatt. I was wondering about the Gasthof Post hotel? It looks great, but I am hoping it will be nice. The other option will be Zermatt. Perhaps you all have a preference?