Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spring break at the end of March-where to go that would be least congested,cheap,interesting,fun for a family of four(two teenagers)?

Spring break at the end of March-where to go that would be least congested,cheap,interesting,fun for a family of four(two teenagers)?

Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
Debbie

Okay-help me with this one fodorites! Last family trip to Europe(son goes to college this fall)and we are wondering where you would go for spring break.We are looking for a spot that would be easy to use our travel miles,inexpensive and not EVERYONE in the world will be there(we could actually get a hotel room,etc.).We sunburn quickly and enjoy food,museums, and sights,etc.Wanted to go to Rome/Pompeii but I think that it will be packed that week.Thought Turkey or Greece but world events seem like not a good idea?Family has done England,France,northern Italy ,Germany and Portugal. Desperate-please help with this very last minute trip(Blame it on husband??????).

Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:53 AM
frank

Spain is very cheap -half the price of France, Germany etc & not too warm or crowded in late March.Try Andalucia.
Avoid beach resorts (Torremolinos etc), the grand cities (Seville Malaga Granada Cadiz) are cheaper & better.No, it is not just the same as Portugal!
Where would I go?
I am going to the Outer Hebrides at that time.(fly to Benbecula from Glasgow then onwards to South Uist by bicycle)
Wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the spring, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:01 AM
joe

Stay home. It meets all of your criteria. Just try turning off the TV, video games, computer, etc., and get to know each other again.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:08 AM
kathy

I vote for Amsterdam. We were there last March and although it was on the cold side, we were able to get into all the museums and other sites with no waiting. It's a real walking city and easy to get around in. Everyone was friendly and English is spoken everywhere.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:13 AM
anothermom

you sound like you've done quite a bit of traveling already. i don't know where you are from and where you've been but how about a week in a major US city (NY, DC, Boston, Chicag) or even a combo of. You can try priceline.com for hotel. We've done it several times for last minute weekends away. We have gotten some great hotels in prime locations.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:30 PM
nnette

I think you got some excellent responses: Amsterdam (I took my 11 year old daughter there last December and we loved it), Southern Spain or even a city break within the US - some great museums in Chicago, D.C. or NYC. This Spring Break we are taking our teenagers (and one of their friends) to Mazatlan, Mexico, where we have been twice before in the Fall. I know for a fact this is not everyone's cup of tea. But, hey, they do make 50 spf sunscreen these days and we are easy to amuse, given an ocean to bodysurf in and inexpensive dining. But back to your problem. What about Prague? I understand it is terribly crowded during the high season of summer, but end of March should be fine.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:50 PM
Rex

Debbie,

Ignore "joe" at the diner. He doesn't realize that you have (kinda) free air travel possibilities through your job (or maybe like me he is so jealous he can't see straight! but that's no excuse for his reply). We did something similar last spring, and since we invited a bunch of our children's friends along, it was imperative that we chose the best bang for the lowest bucks. Since air travel costs are not a constraint for you, I would say not to be discouraged about Rome. The crowds won't be that bad, will they? aster is late this year; I don't think that late March will be bad. On the other hand, I would encourage you to consider doing a "kids and their friends trip". There ARE some incredible bargains out there, and I find traveling with a (reasonably sized) pack of teenagers a blast. Sorry my schedule won't allow it this year! I'll make sure that's not the case next spring (our youngest will be a senior in high school at that time - - and ready for her fifth trip!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:46 PM
xxx

go to disneyworld and spare us your cute family while we enjoy the cafes and museums of europe....

Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:44 PM
rbw

You will not be disappointed with southern Spain. Try Sevilla, Ronda, Granada. Stunning, educational, beautliful (not beach though) weather. And more than reasonable prices. Enjoy!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:56 AM
Aron

We have been going to Eurple in March for the last 12 years. I'd recommend Spain. You can rent seaside villa's for $200.00 per week. The temp's will be 60-70ish. You could drive into southern France from there or take a day and drive through Andorra. Fly into lovely Barcelona and go from there.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:04 AM
bea

Where is your son going to college? (after that long thread on college towns )No one ever seems to suggest Greece.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:51 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

DEBBIE, In late March I have two suggestions for you if you want good weather. The Algarve is my first choice.
Fly into Lisbon---2 days in that area, and then south staying near Lagos. Some great beaches and super history---think Prince Henry, my mentor.
The other choice is Key West. Some believe it to be a foreign country these days, and the weather is the best.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:59 AM
curious

Debbie,
you have so many gret suggestions here. what are you going to do? Please let us know what you decide.

Mar 4th, 2001, 04:53 PM
kate

Where to?

Mar 4th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Linda

My recommendation would be Berlin and Krakow or Prague. They are not that far apart. You don't have to worry about sunburn. All are relatively inexpensive and the history and culture would be appreciated by all.

Mar 7th, 2001, 06:39 PM
kate

Where are those lucky teenagers going?

Mar 9th, 2001, 11:34 AM
olga

I second the posts about Spain - you absolutely can't beat that! Prices, beauty, history, climate, people, and FOOD - unbelievable food. Andalucia, Toledo, Madrid and Barcelona, and/or many other places... We were there last year with two teenagers, and have been dying to go back.

Mar 10th, 2001, 05:44 AM
beth

Okay, I know it is not Europe. Why not take your family to South Africa. It is sooooo cheap with the dollar and beautiful. There are many choices of places to go. The weather is great at this time of year. It will not be congested at all. If you can go with miles all the better as the fares are very expensive.