Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spray deodorant and wine on airplanes... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spray-deodorant-and-wine-on-airplanes-601258/)

birthdaygirlstrip Mar 21st, 2006 05:10 PM

Spray deodorant and wine on airplanes...

Ok...here is a weird question....I will be traveling to the UK from california and then from the uk to pisa.

I like to be clean and comfy, so I use both spray and roll on deodorant.

But what about the aerosol can? If I keep it in my carryon, is that ok? I have seen the signs at the airports that say no spray cans.....but I am not sure if this constitutes a spray can.

What about liquers from Italy? Will they decompress in my carryon luggage or checked baggage?

cigalechanta Mar 21st, 2006 05:24 PM

Spray cans no!!! But I've brought Scotch to friends.

2Italy Mar 21st, 2006 05:25 PM

We bring wine home every trip, some in our carry on, some in our checked baggage. Never had a problem.

Intrepid1 Mar 22nd, 2006 12:23 AM

You will not be (knowingly) allowed to bring any sort of spray can onto the plane, either in your checked or your carry-on luggage.

bellastarr Mar 22nd, 2006 01:05 AM

birthdaygrlstrip-
Aerosol cans are not allowed on airplanes, as has been mentioned. Also, using aerospray spray products in a public bathroom is not a good idea. I'm speaking as one of the many people who suffer allergies to some of the chemical "perfumes" used in deodorant and hairspray. When spray cans are used, it fills the air with a "mist", and makes breathing difficult for others who may have these allergies. Just take your roll-on deodorant, that should work out fine..
Liqueurs will not be a problem. I carry anything like that in my carry-on, not in checked cuggage.

suze Mar 22nd, 2006 06:37 AM

For your trip I would suggest go with just roll-on? No aerosols allowed on the plane, and don't you want to pack light anyways?

You can bring home wine or liquor, there's a stated amount that you can bring in without paying duty. No they don't decompress either in carry-on or in checked baggage.

sandi Mar 22nd, 2006 06:42 AM

No aerosols, so use the roll-on deodorant; if you use hair spray, you can use and pack the pump sprays.

Neopolitan Mar 22nd, 2006 07:04 AM

I'm not sure where some of you get your information. The official TSA site says that aerosol cans for personal hygiene use in limited quantities are allowed! My bag has been searched several times and the guard has lifted my large can of spray deodorant out and put it back in with no question.

The wording may be unclear as it says that Aerosol cans containing flammable materials are not allowed, but then it goes on to say that limited quantities for personal use are allowed. Deodorant has never been an issue to my knowledge.

Then again it specifically says that blunt edged scissors are allowed and as I just mentioned on another thread, they confiscated my "toy" scissors from a cheap sewing kit that couldn't be described as anything but VERY blunt.

clevelandbrown Mar 22nd, 2006 07:11 AM

Both the TSA and FAA exempt personal items, such as aerosol deodorants or hairspray, in quantities for personal use, from their ban on explosive or flammable items. You can look it up on their respective websites.

So who is banning these items, or is the ban just a rumour?

SuzieC Mar 22nd, 2006 07:19 AM

years ago, greenies (tree huggers - yep, I'm one, sort of) started boycotting aerosol cans because the propellent was/is destroying the ozone.
As I recall, that is when pump spray hair spray became popular.

Or is this a figment of my imagination?

Gretchen Mar 22nd, 2006 07:26 AM

The propellant used now is different. And of course you can bring a can of deodorant.

Neopolitan Mar 22nd, 2006 07:27 AM

Well Suzie I remember that too, but I think I also remember hearing that the propellants used had been changed and were no longer an issue. Or is that a figment of MY imagination?

And yes, Cleveland Brown, you got it right. It is merely an unfounded rumor that aerosol deodorants are banned -- unless maybe you tried to take a case of twenty four cans on board with you.

valtor Mar 22nd, 2006 07:31 AM

I always take in my luggage hairspray and deodorants. I fly often ElAl, and it has a very serious luggage check. However, I never had a problem with the spray cans.

Statia Mar 23rd, 2006 02:57 AM

It might depend on the various airport security checkpoints you are going thru and what their regulations are. I've had spray deoderant taken from my carry on baggage at different airport checkpoints, but have never had aerosol hairspray taken from my checked baggage.

suze Mar 23rd, 2006 06:42 AM

I know it's a personal question, but since the OP said it to all of us, I don't get why a person needs TWO kinds of deodorants to feel "clean and comfy".

tod Mar 23rd, 2006 06:57 AM

birthdaygirlstrip - If you used a "stick" Anti-perspirant, thats all you would need. Deodorants just try to cover up the sweaty smell (and it doesn't work very well) which is obviously why you have to give it a second blast!

birthdaygirlstrip Mar 23rd, 2006 08:55 AM

Suze---in this great big world of ours, not everyone sweats the same.

I have noticed that my body gets used to a deodorant very quickly and it seems to stop working. I use anti-perspirant deodorants, and sometimes using two different kinds helps me to stay drier and fresher more than using just one.

Everyone is different.

suze Mar 23rd, 2006 10:07 AM

that's for sure
;-)

Neopolitan Mar 23rd, 2006 10:13 AM

With all the usual discussion of trying not to seem like a tourist and trying to appear just like the natives, I'm surprised no one has suggested to just leave the deodorant at home when going to France!

GreenDragon Mar 23rd, 2006 11:02 AM

Or just purchasing the needed item once you arrived, leaving luggage lighter!