Spontaneous trip to Eastern Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! My partner and I just decided to plan a very last minute trip to Europe. We are staying in London, England for the month of February and then we will be buying a Eurail Pass for 4 countries... We have chosen Hungary, Romania, Montenegro/ Serbia and Croatia/ Slovenia! We are hoping to spend March 5th to March 31st traveling to all these wonderful places, neither of us have really been to this part of Europe ( I am Canadian, he is Australian) ... and despite what most travel sites have said we would like to hear from someone who has already been to some of these places. We want to make the most out of the few weeks we will be there! After this eurail trip, we are staying in Prague and around Czech Republic with family, so any recommended places near here would be lovely, we are thinking of hopping over to Germany (maybe) ! Then off to Lisbon, Portugal for a month!

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 12:34 AM
kja

You'll be able to see some wonderful things, but you will have to be selective, as you can <u>not,</u> IME, see even the highlights of these areas in the time you have. You might consider buying some good guidebooks or viewing them at your local library. (For guidebooks, I strongly recommend the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet as your primary resource. I would also recommend that you consult Fodor's, Frommer's, or the Michelin Green Guides to help prioritize and the National Geographic Traveler, Insight Guides, or Eyewitness for inspiration.)

BTW, Croatia has very little rail coverage, so that might affect your decision.... I'm not sure about the extent of rail coverage in many of the countries you have selected, so do consider looking into that a bit before you commit.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Look at Croatia on a map - it's shaped like a hook. And on the hook end is Zagreb, which is the national hub. So going by train to the Dalmatian Coast you would have to go from Zagreb, around the hook and down. And Dubrovnik has no train. So . . . how much you can do by rail in Croatia and how convenient it will be are open to question.

Your best option would probably be to go to Romania first then work west to Hungary, south to Croatia and north and west to Slovenia ending in either Ljubljana or Maribor (or Vienna, which will have more flights to Lisbon). OR Romania-Hungary-Zagreb to Slovenia THEN back down the Dalmatian Coast ending around Split.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM

P.S., you're really going to Central Europe. Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltics, Moldova are Eastern.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Greetings from Romania,

So, you have 26 days for this. I am speaking about what to do in Romania. If you will have 5-6 days for Romania, I would advice to discover Transylvania and Maramures.

Transylvania is in the middle of Romania - great place - Medieval towns like Brasov, Sighisoara or Sibiu, Castles, Fortresses, Fortified Churches, Old Saxon Villages hidden in the hills/mountians...

Maramures in northwest (if you have time) - the best kept traditions in Romania - great landscapes, many Unesco WH Sights - Wooden Churches...

But, realistic , if you will have 5-6 days for Romania, I would advice to go for Transylvania...

1 night in Bucharest
1/2 night in Brasov
1 night in Sighisoara
1/2 night in Sibiu

From Sibiu you can depart for Hungary

Best way to discover Romania is with a car - to reach all remote villages and to have flexibility and freedom of choices... If you need more info about Romania part, feel free to write back
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:14 PM

this will be the map Romania to Hungary

https://www.google.ro/maps/dir/Bucur...7912!3e0?hl=ro
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Ashas beeb said, one cannot see everything. My wife and I have been visiting continental Europe since 19962, and there are still places we wish to visit. Our favourite counties are the present day republics which made up the former Yugoslavia, particularly Slovenia, Croatia and Montenegro. Our favourite small city is Dubrovnok, and our favourite two large cities are Prague and Budapest.

Why not get a cheap fligh to Prague, then start your train journey from there to Budapest, from Budapest to Zagreb, a very interesting city in its own right, and from Zagreb to Split.

From Split you could go on a cruise (see Katrina Line website. We did such a cruise in 2013, one of the best holidays we have ever had) to Dubrovnik, either one way or return and then get a cheap flight back from either Split or Dubrovnik. If you stay in Dubrovnik long enough, a visit to Kotor is a must.

I would not attempt the drive from Split to Dubrovnik, it is still an appalling road in parts.
(Though there are no railways in Croatia except for Zagreb to Split, there is an extensive bus network)
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Not sure about the efficacy of a Eurail Select Pass in those countries where train travel is still much cheaper than in western Europe - check ordinary fares against the overall cost of the pass and yes buses sometimes in the Balkans are more direct and convenient than trains - like along the Croatian Coast - there are even inexpensive boats plying the cost from Rijeka to Dubrovnik - stopping at some nice islands.

Sosme great sources for learning about European and Eastern Europe trains - www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets often available thru the national railway web site; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com

Re-think that Eurailpass and instead look at the Balkans Railpass perhaps.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 03:42 AM

I visited Dubrovnik, Montenegro, Bulgaria and Romania last September all wonderful places.
My trip report which has the most stupid title
Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman may be helpful.
My blog from Hungary is on nywoman.blogspot.com as is my trip report.
For you I think a Eurailpass is a waste of money. There are excellent railroads in some of the countries, and bus services in Eastern Europe all most affordable.
Have a great trip
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You certainly don't want a rail pass for those countries. For my recent visit to Romania go here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...a-take-two.cfm and if you click on my name you will find the TRs for my Balkans trip a few years back.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 11:42 AM

Well railpass prices for Balkans countries have plunged - about $135 on a Eurail Select Saverpass p.p. for five days of unlimited travel in a 1-month period - chose your days as you go along - so what thursdaysd said was true last year perhaps but certainly is not this year as this change - making Balkan countries much cheaper when included on a Select Pass - took effect just last month.

a Eurail SelectPass for 4 countries could be a great deal - first class travel too. I'll check the exact details and get back - I just say thisnow off the top of my head from what I recall just reading.