Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spoleto Festival in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spoleto-festival-in-july-127464/)

Elizabeth Jun 1st, 2001 07:41 AM

Spoleto Festival in July

I will be visiting Italy for the first time in July. I'm flying into Rome and would like advice re: the best way to travel to Spoleto, interesting day trips around the area and restaurant recommendations.

SteveJames Jun 1st, 2001 09:53 AM

Hello Elizabeth, <BR> <BR>Rome-Spoleto by train is about 1hour 30mins. (This is the Rome-Ancona train from Roma Termini station...). For timetables see:- <BR>www.fs-on-line.com <BR> <BR>Interesting day-trips? Well, - you're spoilt for choice:- <BR>Assisi, Todi, Orvieto, Perugia, Spello, Gubbio, Cortona ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR> <BR>

Elizabeth Jun 1st, 2001 12:08 PM

Greetings Steve, <BR>Thank you for your reply. I was having a hard time tracking down train info --&gt; Spoleto. I've heard wonderful things about Cortona and Assisi. My forthcoming book on Italy should be arriving any day to help fill in the gaps. <BR> <BR>Thank you again, <BR>Elizabeth

Pam Jun 4th, 2001 02:29 PM

Hi Elizabeth, <BR> <BR>Just back from our first trip to Italy. What a fabulous place!! We spent two nights in Spoleto at the Hotel San Luca - Lovely rooms, delicious breakfast buffet, and extremely helpful staff. At their recommendation, we ate at Ristorante il Panciolle (Vic. degli Erolli - Via Duomo; phone 0743 45598). Excellent food! The show takes place by the fireplace where the meat and fish dishes are prepared. We would highly recommend this establishment. What with the dollar being so strong at this time, we enjoyed multi-coursed meals with dessert, coffee and wine for $50US or less. Speaking of the wine, we always chose the house wine which was from the region and we never had a bad experience. The price was nice too - usually $2.50US per half liter. Thank heavens we spent so much time walking as we enjoyed 3 meals a day and an occasional gelato and never gained a pound. <BR> <BR>Have fun!!

Helen Jun 5th, 2001 05:27 AM

Hi Elizabeth! I lost my heart in Umbria! Have been there twice the past two years, and visiting again in Oct. Yes the train from Rome to Spoleto is fast, clean and cheap! And Assisi is beautiful - you can spend a day there - so much to see, and the most wonderful places to eat - especially around the main plaza - Piaza Del Comune - follow your nose, and you won't regret it! Deruta is a heaven for anyone who wants to buy ceramic, as is Gubbio! There are plenty trains and buses you can take, and they are cheap! Enjoy Umbria!

Pam Jun 9th, 2001 08:11 AM

Hi again - <BR> <BR>I have another restaurant to add to my previous message. I couldn't remember the name of the place, but just came across our dinner receipt. Trattoria La Torretta (Via Filitteria, 43; tel. 0743/44954) A small, lovely establishment with other than standard fare; as was the case with my above mentioned recommendation. <BR> <BR>You are probably well-aware of this fact already, but just a reminder -- it will be very hot in July. We traveled from May 3 through the 26th and short of a few days of rain, we were quite warm most of the time. The temps. were in the 70's but what with all of the walking and stair climbing that we did, the wearing of microfiber shirts for my husband and jersey/polyester for me (neither of which breath), and the humidity which we did not expect, we had some sticky days. Cotten or cotten blends are your best bet. <BR> <BR>Bon Appetit!