Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, Paris, London Hostel Recommendations Anyone??

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any hostel recommendations for Rome, Paris, or London?? I will beach in each city for 4-5 nights.

I am interested in a hostel that has a good location, friendly and fun/young atmosphere, and affordable --> preferably less than $60/night. I dont mind staying in large dorm style rooms.

Let me know if you have any recommendations or really great experiences! Thank!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In Rome, I stayed here for a week and enjoyed it very much:

http://www.foresteriaorsa.altervista...esteria_uk.htm
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Check out www.yha.org.uk. Most likely the Oxford St. or London Central locations will work for you.

We didn't stay in a YHA hostel in London (we chose one in Bayswater which I really wouldn't recommend), but we stayed in several in other parts of the UK and they were great.

Have fun!

Lee Ann
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:07 PM

The hostels associated with Hosteling International generally have good reputations - but I don;t know the detail for these cities. Most people here don;t stay in hostels. I would look at the Let's Go student Guides or the Thron tree section of the Lonely Planet web site which will have more info on hostels - which are party central (with lots of booze and drugs) or which may be more pleasant.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 11:52 PM

I haven't stayed in hostels, but I walk by the hostel in London by London bridge and it us an excellent location

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk

They appear to have hostels in other cities as well.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 06:43 AM

I'll try to help with the Rome part.

The hostel mentioned by MmePerdu is for women only. It's in an excellent location, in Trastevere, so if you're a woman, it would probably be your best option. I tried to reserve a room there once, but they tend to be booked up well in advance.

Here is another hostel in Rome; I've never stayed, but I've heard good reports of it:

http://www.the-beehive.com/

I should point out that their private rooms are not very inexpensive; you can usually do better at a budget hotel. I look for hotels on www.booking.com , where you can select a neighborhood and sort the list by price. Pay attention to the guest ratings, and read the guest reviews.

Some convents also have budget lodging, although some are really rather expensive. The American Catholic Church in Rome maintains a good list. (Budget convents also tend to get booked up well in advance.)

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Bvlenci, I checked the OP's profile page before recommending Orsa Maggiore and the photo appears to be a woman. The trick, though, is knowing if the member has used a picture of themselves, isn't it, as some don't. But I decided to take the leap and since there are private showers it may be alright in any case.

I agree that the location is great as I prefer accommodations somewhat out of the center and away from the crowd. But still walking distance or close to transport and it is both of those, too, and on a quiet street in an interesting neighborhood.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 08:02 AM

My young adult children have stayed in hostels in each of those cities. They found them using HostelWorld.com. They have told me they like this site because it offers reviews from people who have stayed at the hostels and, after having stayed there themselves, they say the reviews are quite accurate. They never had any unpleasant surprises from a hostel they found on that website.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks so much for everyone's advice and feedback!!
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 11:25 AM

thumbs up for the beehive, we did the private room with shared bath but never saw anyone else in the bath and each room had a sink. the dorm style rooms are even cheaper.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 07:39 PM

My daughters and I stayed at the YHA Oxford St in London last year. Awesome location and very clean. Hostelling International members get discounts at their locations so you might consider joining if you are staying in multiple hostels. It got us free wifi at Oxford St too!
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 05:03 AM

Hey, I'm a bit late on this one but hopefully it'll be helpful anyway! I usually use www.famoushostels.com to book hostels, so have a look. They have hostels in all of the places you're going (which I've stayed at too) and they were all great! And you'll get some change out of $60 a night easily.
Have fun!
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
ekc

Just a tip - if you are traveling to Paris and Rome, it is a good idea to start thinking in Euros. $60 = 45 euros.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:58 PM

While looking online, I saw two hostels in the Kings Crosss area--Clink261 and Clink78. I might have the numbers wrong. No idea if it's any good, just passing it along.