Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Splitting up12 days in Czech & Poland; side-trip timing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are lucky to be spending 12 days this September in Prague (flying into) and Krakow (flying out of) and the surroundings. It's our first trip to this part of Europe. I'd love comments/recommendations on our (draft) itinerary. Please advise if you know of issues with certain activities on weekdays/weekends (e.g., C. Krumlov, Zakopane, hours/tours for salt mines, Auschwitz/B.). We are completely up for suggestions, nothing is set in stone except for the transatlantic flights - as I've said in earlier posts, we've never been wronged by the great advice offered on this site. Thank you!!
Our outlook: early 30's, (we try to be) laid back on planning during vacations so that we can both take in the sites and culture (via hanging out with the locals at coffee or taverns, etc.) and not be frantic or 'whirl-wind'y... Not very museum-y (barring the extraordinary, like the British Museum) or tour-takers generally.

Thurs. 7 Sept: arrive in Prague @ 1:20pm
5 nights/5 days in Prague (Thurs-Mon. - too much?)
Tues. 12 Sept: leave in a.m. (we hope, by bus?) to see Cesky Krumlov; overnight there
Weds. 13 Sept. back to Prague in time for 8pm flight to Krakow (screaming deals on LOT!)
Arrive Krakow almost midnight (I hope this doesn't pose issues with checking into lodging)
4 nights/3 days (Wed.-Sat.)in Krakow (a few days walking the town, plus salt mines, A/B)
Sun. 17 Sept. in the a.m., we hope: off to explore Zakopane!
1 night/~1 day in Zakopane (Sun. & part Mon.) Note: We like to hike but aren't huge into it / don't do it often - we're spoiled Pacific Northwesters, I guess - so I'm not sure about how much much time to spend here? It does look beautiful, though.
Assuming transportation schedules allow (I haven't gotten this far!), back to Krakow Monday evening (our last).
Tues. 19 Sept: 8am flight out of Krakow
Is this too much running around, packing & unpacking? I am losing my sense of perspective...!

Again, thank you in advance for all your sage advice!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Welcome to Central Europe! Information? Either use your 'search function' or visit the library or book store. Check the posting dates. Krakow is in a building boom. Schedules have to be flexible.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:19 AM

First off...you're in for a real treat!

Now, here's my opinion about your itinerary:

I think 5 nights, in Prague, is too much. Don't get me wrong. I love Prague, but I would spend an extra day in Krakow. It's an amazing city. Only problem would be your flight, from Prague to Krakow. If you've already booked it, you probably won't have the option of changing it without penalty...if, you can even book a flight a day earlier. You mentioned that only your transatlantic flights were booked, so I'm not sure if you already booked the Prague/Krakow segment. If your flight forces you to stay in Prague...well, all I can say is...there are certainly worse places to stay! So, just enjoy that gorgeous city.

In Krakow, plan on a whole day to visit Auschwitz/Birkenau. No, it won't take all day, but it will eat up most of the day.

The Salt Mines are amazing. They will take a couple of hours to see, including transportation time. So, let's mark the Salt Mines as "Day 2".

The Wawel Castle & Cathedral are also wonderful. Don't miss them. You can (most likely) find a guide, as you're walking up the hill to the castle. Just make sure the guide is licensed. They are very inexpensive and will offer a wealth of information. You could tour both (or either one) on "Day 3". (You said you don't like museums much, but I highly recommend touring the cathedral - over the castle. Very interesting history and it won't take long.)

Then, you've got to fit in "hanging out with the locals". That's going to eat up a lot of your 3 days. (hehehe) The Market Square offers a myriad of places to sit inside/outside and enjoy a leisurely meal or drink. Krakow is filled with wonderful restaurants and bars. Some offer al fresco dining and others are terrific, underground cellars. You won't have a hard time finding some place to "hang out".

I don't know where you're planning on staying, in Krakow, but with your late arrival time, you'll need to inform the property that you'll be arriving around midnight and ask if you can get into your room. I'm assuming they're going to want you to pay for that night, but certainly don't know specific guidelines for this late of an arrival.

I've got quite a few links for Polish websites, but I can't get them to post here. Sorry. If you email me, I can send you more specific information.

Valarie
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your helpful info, Valerie!
I haven't booked the flight from Prague to Krakow yet, so no worries there. I also haven't started looking at Krakow lodging (I've gathered a bunch of info but havne't done anything with it yet as I've been trying to nail down the Prague stuff since it's in the front end of the trip). So if something blows you away re: lodging, please let me know!

Have you been to Cesky Krumlov? Wondering if we should spend more time there vs. Prague or head to Krakow earlier, as you suggest...

Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:56 PM

definitly search this forum for some great suggestions ...
to start you may want to check
http://www.krakow.pl/en/
http://www.zakopane.pl/articles.php?topic=30
definitly check with your lodging property to make sure midnight be fine - it probably will be - and this will give hotel/pension etc. heads up to prep. for your arrival (get room ready, keep doors open etc. were large chains have 24/7 service - smallers may not have)...

few of very many posts worth checking on this site be very recent...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34787918
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34773892

In Zakopane - try 3 trails ...
Gubalowka which is a tram up Gubałówka hill - from where you see some really nice panoramic views of Tatry Mountains

Morskie Oko - which is bit outside of Zakopane - where you take a local bus and then walk the trail or take a horse carriage ...

Kasprowy Wierch - again bit outside of Zakopane but not far where you take a bus up to the cable car enterance and then 2 cable cars (one is not long enough) to one of the high peaks of Tatry - from where you can see Slovakia, walk further using various marked trails or walk down using trails (or take cable car back).

Each of those 3 has somekind of fastfood and hot/cold drinks - including beer and wine (served hot/cold with syrup or honey) on top.

on Kasprowy Wierch buy some postcards with postal stamps (or have some ready) and ask them to be stamped at the newsstand there you can then mail it like that or just keep it - proof that you've reached the top ;-)