Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used the Paklite Euro train traveller rollers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

After yonks of research, I have put a deposit on the Paklite Euro Train travellers - the Airpak 6409 http://www.paklite.com.au/AIR.htm and the Featherweight 3707 at the following page http://www.paklite.com.au/FWT.htm - scroll down on each page to read details.

The salespeople and the reviews tell me they are perfect for train travel. My adult children and I will be travelling around Italy by bus and train. Our first stop is 11 days in Rome, followed by a week tour of the North by coach, then four days in Florence. After that we spend a month in Perugia and a month down south based in Calabria.

We will travel to Florence and Perugia by local train. While we are based in Perugia, we will do short trips away on the trains and just take our High Sierra packpacks with day packs with us. I still have to buy these. See one at the following.
http://www.luggage.com/High-Sierra-A...3877UV1028.htm

I will probably hire a car while we are in the south. We are going to buy some Trenitalia passes and tour around on the trains from where we are based for the month. I am also going to buy some Eurorail or Europasses (still to look at) as we will then go to London via France and Spain on the trains, stopping wherever it takes our fancy.

Initially, I was going to buy Samsonite hard cases for security but they are so heavy and these are so light - 4.3K and 4.9K v 7.2Ks.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and we don't have the fantastic selection of luggage available in the US or Europe and the few os online stores I looked at don't sell to Australia.

I quite like these Paklites - just wondered if anyone had used them.

Cheers
Monda
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM

No experience with them, but just want to mention that while these suitcases are narrow enough to pass through train aisles, they are also very large. Question is where do you put them on the train? If fully loaded, they'll be very heavy to lift onto the overhead rack, and with their large sizes, you may have trouble fitting them behind the seats on Eurostar Italais trains.

So, do you really need such large suitcases? If so, you probably have to leave them at the baggage area in the ends of the trains anyways, so no difference if you buy regular wider suitcases.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan,

Thanks for your comments. I have been looking for something smaller that is suitable for ages. If they are suitable for the train, they don't have wheels that will cope with coblestones and vice versa.

I don't want a backpack any larger than the one I am taking as I have a bad back. Also, my daughter and I are quite petite. I don't like the idea of leaving the luggage in the baggage area and I dont know how the baggage area works. Is it separate to the compartment where we travel? I am only taking 10K of shoes and clothes so mine wont be full, nor will my sons - can't vouch for my daughter though.

There is a smaller one, but it seems quite small - Paklite airpak 6403 http://www.paklite.com.au/AIR.htm

Monda
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM

On most trains in Europe, you handle your own luggage. There's no seperate baggage cars, but there are small areas at both ends at each car for large suitcases.

The fast long distance trains require seat reservations, but there are few stops. So, if you're really worried about your large suitcases, just stand beside it at the stops.

Still, you'll first need to able to lift the suitcases onto the trains. It's really not a good mode of travel if you have lots of bags, regardless of their form. I realize you're going for like 3 months in Europe, so you definitely need plenty of stuff. But still, I think the 63cm (24&quot ones will be more manageable - in terms of overall size and weight.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi rkkwan,

I checked the Paklite site and found they have a 69cm one in the featherweight range so will call the luggage store this morning and ask her about it - see if she has any in stock. Could be that even thougth the dimensions are smaller it is still large, eg, their 70cm airpack one is actually larger than the train one.

Thanks for your input - love this forum. Will consider getting the 63cm ones if the 69cm is too large. Daughter will not be pleased - may have to get one for her - she says her brother can roll hers along and she will roll his!!

Cheers
Monda