Search

6 days in Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 days in Netherlands

Hi,

I am arriving at Amsterdam airport at 930am on the 6th of June. I fly out on the 11th at 930pm. Here is my proposed 6 day itinerary. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

6th - Arrive at 930am. Train to Amsterdam central and store large luggage item. Train to Haarlem to spend a few hours. Train to Leiden to spend a few hours. Train to Den Haag for nights accommodation (willing to arrive later in the evening and basically go to bed right away).

7th - Explore The Hague for a few hours, train to Delft to explore for a few hours. Train to Rotterdam for dinner and nights accommodation.

8th - Explore Rotterdam for a couple of hours in the morning, ferry to Kinderjik, rent a bike and explore, continue on to Dordrecht for a couple of hours. Train from Dordrecht back to Amsterdam arriving around 8ish.

9th - Day in Amsterdam. Walk around city, take canal ride, Van gogh museum, Heineken experience at night.

10th - Day in Amsterdam. Ann Frank House in morning, possibly half day for afternoon to Zaanse Schans???

11th - Day in Amsterdam. Rijksmuseum, vondel park. Fly out at 930pm

How does this sound? Any suggestions of things to see/do in the places I have mentioned going? Also, would Zaanse Schans be worth a half day trip, and would it even be possible to do in say 5 hours return?

Any feedback is most welcome.
Old May 10th, 2015, 08:41 PM

I am tired just reading this. If you are coming from any place other than Europe, the first day is frankly insane.

And there is much to said for your feet actually touching the ground.
Old May 10th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

I am coming from London that morning. It does sound quite busy, but I am used to long days as a traveller. Also, Haarlem and Leiden both read like they are quite small and can be easily experienced in 3 hour or so each. Seeing as they are so close by train, it seemed like the logical thing to do them both. I figure I should be I Haarlem by noon so should be able to see both by 7-8 and still make it to Den Haag for bed. I would have slept in Leiden but it appears that no hostels exist there (at least according to Hostel World).

What about the rest of the trip? More specifically the Amsterdam part..
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:12 PM

Be sure to buy ticket ahead of time for Anne Frank house!

I can recommend Amphora b&b in the Jordaan district of Amsterdam--quite near Anne Frank house, right on a canal, great host.

I like to cover a lot of ground when I see a new place but I have to agree it seems like a lot is packed in -- and a lot depends on the train connections, right?

Delft is lovely -- you might wish you spent more time there.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:35 AM

We found Rotterdam to be extremely interesting. As it was destroyed during WWII, thus planners and architects had carte blanche and in many cases, created buildings and areas that are at once whimsical but practical.

Delft deserves a deep breath and long walks.

Amsterdam is a great walking city and that too demands your intention but not in rushes but in glimpses.
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotterdam, not for me, especially when there are little places like Brielle hidden away in the Europort

Lots of rushing

Netherlands has great B&B portals which might offer you a better deal than hostels
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:23 AM

I agree with Bilboburgler about B&Bs but not about Rotterdam. Rotterdam should get more than a night and a morning: why not make it your second base? Train distances are short: Rdam - The Hague is 20 minutes, Rdam - Delft is about 10. If you base yourself near Blaak station, you'll have a direct connection to both Delft and Den Haag and will be within walking distance of the Waterbus to Ridderkerk and then Kinderdijk. If I may suggest: Hotel Bazar on Witte de Withstraat. That's the cultural quarter: Kunsthal and Boymans Museum are near, so is Tent and it's got a great evening scene: sidewalk cafes and good restaurants (Schiedamse Vest is the go to place, with a great bar specializing in beer on tap: Rhijngoud)
Previous to your trip to Kinderdijk and Dordrecht, take the time to take the ferry across (or walk the stunning Erasmusbridge) to Wilhelminakade and by way of Rijnhavenbridge, Katendrecht.
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:25 AM

Rotterdam is 40 minutes from Amsterdam Central by Intercity Direct (small surcharge as it's a fast train) and Rotterdam is 20 minutes from Schiphol by IC Direct. Dordrecht - Rotterdam is also possible on IC Direct: 60 minutes.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank your for all your feedback.

How does this revision sound?

6th - Arrive at 930am. Train to Leiden central and check into accommodation. Train to Haarlem to spend a few hours. Train back to Leiden to spend a few hours and have dinner before bed.

7th - Checkout early (8ish) and train to Rotterdam to check in and drop off luggage. Train 10 mins to Delft and aim to be there for 10-1030ish. Spend a good chunk of time in Delft and back to Rotterdam for a few hours of exloring before dark.

8th - Stroll around Rotterdam for an hour or so (mostly to walk to bridge) in the morning, ferry to Kinderjik, rent a bike and explore, continue on to Dordrecht for a couple of hours. Train from Dordrecht back to Amsterdam arriving around 8ish (breifly stopping in Rotterdam to grab luggage).

9th - Day in Amsterdam. Walk around city, take canal ride, Van gogh museum, Self-directed brewery tour/pub crawl.

10th - Day in Amsterdam. Ann Frank House in morning, possibly half day for afternoon to Zaanse Schans or to Utrecth (which would be better)?

Old May 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM

6th - Arrive at 930am. Train to Amsterdam central and store large luggage item. Train to Haarlem to spend a few hours.>

I'd leave your luggage at Schiphol's left luggage - think it easier and can keep it longer I believe than at C.S. which always IME runs the risk of being full. Schiphol's left luggage is just under the arrivals hall - all sizes of lockers and a manually staffed desk.

then take the express bus to Haarlem - a dedicated bus pathway at times like a monorail - right to the heart of Haarlem or wherever you want to go. But now if you go to Leiden you can leave your luggage there in the left luggage but again I've seen those all full - Schiphol is never full and on a main rail line so easy to retrieve.

For lots of stuff on Dutch trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Some ideas for Amsterdam!

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM

In Delft I have visited several times the famous Delftware factories/museums - like the most fmaous one the famous one making Royal Delftware - the Porcele Fles factory - museum - shop with seconds available - about a mile walk along a main canal southwest of the Delft centrum.

http://www.royaldelft.com/index.asp?lang=2

Be sure to get the National Museum Card - all those cities have sweet museums - Delft had several places covered as did Rotterdam and of course Hague's Mauritshuis and Haarlem's Frns Hal Museum in an old convent or monastery I think.

Buy it at any participating museum - good for a year and gives priority entrance many places - also good for the Anne Frank House and a flock of places in Amsterdam.

http://www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Things keep changing lol. Does this seem more reasonable?

6th - Arrive at 930am. Train from Schippol to Leiden central and check into accommodation. Spend a few hours in Leiden (12-4ish). Train to Haarlem to spend a few hours (430-730ish). Train back to Leiden to accommodation.

7th - Checkout early (8ish) and train to Rotterdam to check in and drop off luggage. Train 10 mins to Delft and aim to be there for 10ish. Spend a good chunk of time in Delft and back to Rotterdam for a few hours of exloring before dark (option to go back to Rotterdam via Schiedam -- Is this worth an hour and a half or so?)

8th - Stroll around Rotterdam for an hour or so (mostly to walk to bridge) in the morning, ferry to Kinderjik, rent a bike and explore, continue on to Dordrecht for a couple of hours. Train from Dordrecht back to Amsterdam arriving around 8ish (breifly stopping in Rotterdam to grab luggage).

9th - Day in Amsterdam. Walk around city, take canal ride, Van gogh museum, Self-directed brewery tour/pub crawl.

10th - Day in Amsterdam. Ann Frank House in morning, train to Utrecht around mid-day for a half day (4-5 hours) -- What would be the best things to do it Utrecht? Im not a huge museum person so the Anne frank, Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, as well as maybe on in Delft is plenty for me....

I have cut out The Hague all together and have limited my running around on trains, especially on my first day, and now will not have to worry about luggage storage as I can go straight to accommodations.

Based on this I feel like I have enough time in Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Kinderjik and Dordrecht, as well as Amsterdam and possibly Utrecht. Rotterdam and/or Schiedam will be particualriy rushed and is what I am worried about. One over the other? Is Rotterdam really worth much time if I am not intending to go into any museums?
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:48 PM

What would be the best things to do it Utrecht?>

Canal boat rides

A San Santonio like cafe and restaurant promenade down on the canals of a canal in the town center

And the Netherlands Spoorwegen Museum - national railway museum in an old train station on the eastern end of town - I took a special train there from Utrecht C.S.

and the Spielcock museum or whatever they call it - of musical boxes - ornate antique ones that play themselves - in an interesting old building and

one of Holland's largest and most popular shopping malls - right hooked to the Centraal Station.

If into biking there is a neat bike path/route from Amsterdam to Utrecht via small villages, along major canals and thru Breukelen - s neat town that gave its name to Brooklyn, New Yok.

And Utrecht has a great cathedral and neat old quarters around it.
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:28 PM

Bookmarking for transportation
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:42 PM

No Way is Hoog Catharijne The Netherlands most popular shopping mall. It's its most derided shopping mall, that's true, and the place struggles with a reputation of crime and ugliness. When it was built, substantial parts of the Utrecht town centre, many historical buildings among them, were demolished and now the complex will be carved up, parts will be demolished and the historical pattern of streets will be rebuilt. Also, it's not a place where people "wander" or congregate: for many people it's where you speed-walk through to get to your train.

If you want to add Schiedam to your schedule, get off the train at Schiedam station, walk into town, or take a tram (#21 and # 24 towards De Esch stop outside the station) Rotterdam has a beautiful historical town centre, although its shopping streets have been somewhat blighted by the economic situation. It's also got a working windmill, De Walvisch. In the nineteenth century, Schiedam was infamous for its living conditions and was nicknamed "Black Nazareth", because of its role in the manufacturing of gin.

You're running around too much: pinpoint specific things you want to see or do and it will become more manageable.

Your day 8 especially is crazy.

Here's a slightly revised schedule

Day 7: Leiden - Rotterdam. Drop off luggage, explore town, in the afternoon take waterbus to Ridderkerk, then Kinderdijk, explore (no bike necessary, just walk), get back on ferry to Kinderdijk, then Ridderkerk, continue to Dordrecht, Explore, have dinner in Dordrecht (tip: Bellevue, right on the river). Take Waterbus back to Rotterdam.

Day 8: Morning Rotterdam, afternoon: Rotterdam - Delft: leave luggage at station, explore Delft, pick up luggage, continue to Amsterdam.

Day 9, 10, 11: unchanged
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:43 PM

Sorry, those are dates, not days, so 6th -11th of june.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:22 PM

Agree with Menachem about the shopping center in Utrecht, pretty awful place.

For some information about the Dutch and their customs;
http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/complete-list/
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:43 AM

About the Utrecht shopping mall at station - I have not been there in several years but for a long time when I used to spend a week or so each year in business in Utrecht it was hopping - maybe because years ago it was about the only such mall - was called the Mall of Holland I believe - or dubbed so because the trains made it so easy to get to - but now it may have faded because of many more newer spiffier malls.

I cn see it a sugly now but crime - wow Holland really is going down hill if crime in that mall is a big problem - please elaborate - what kind of crime and again I am not doubting that just curious.
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:28 AM

Utrecht has two lovely museums: centraal museum and Catharijneconvent. Lovely canals and small and charming shopping streets. The Mall at the Station ......Well the last place in the Netherlands to visit as a tourist. I think you still want to do to much. Dordrecht is lovely but you already visit,Leiden, Haarlem and Delft. I should give more time to Rotterdam . Take the watertaxi to Hotel New York, walk around in Zuid. There is more in the Netherlands than al those charming little towns. And by the way Schiedam has also a lovely centre and a Jenever Museum. Quite interesting
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:40 AM

I think Haarlem is a lovely town. Be sure to check out the Frans Hals museum, Grote Markt square with the cathedral (great place for a coffee and people watching), and a canal cruise to get an overview of the city. We had a fun meal at Jopenkirk, a church turned into a brewpub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -