Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Split airport to ferry terminal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/split-airport-to-ferry-terminal-597424/)

LowCountryIslander Mar 8th, 2006 08:46 AM

Split airport to ferry terminal?

Potentially (no tickets yet) I will be arriving at the Split airport on a Tuesday at 3:40pm and would like to (in a perfect/mishap free world) catch a 5pm catamaran to Hvar. How feasable is this?

If the flight lands on time (I'll be arriving from Zagreb, so no customs and immigration)is it possible to get a bus (the Split airport website says buses run to Split every 20 minutes)to the port/ferry/catamarn terminal in time to buy the boat tickets and make it onto the 5pm catamaran? This is only 1 hour and 20 minutes between flight arrival and catamaran departure.

Or am I dreaming to think that this may be "do-able"? There will be 2 of us traveling together each with a suitcase (not too big) and a backpack type bag.

Will traffic on a Tuesday afternoon in mid-late September prevent this from happening? How long does it typically take to get from the Split airport (I know it's in Trogir) to the ferry terminal in Split?

The other alternative is to take the ferry at 8:30pm but that gets me into Hvar at 10:15pm and I really wanted to try and get to Hvar in the early evening (6ish if I can get the catamaran) since I have an apartment reservation and didn't want to arrive too late at night!

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance! :)

Carta_Pisana Mar 8th, 2006 09:59 AM

My flights have usually arrived in Split around 2 pm and I was able to catch the 5 pm cat to Hvar. If I remember correctly it takes about 40 minutes - you may want to pay for a cab (which will be expensive, not even moderate, but expensive - no idea how much) if you really want to catch that 5 pm cat. You may get to the harbor and find the tickets may all be sold out for the 5 pm cat. I've learned that if I miss a ferry there will mostly like be another later on - especially in September. The worst is that you catch the late ferry - which means checking your bags at the bus station, emailing or calling the owner to say you'll be arriving late and then exploring Split for the afternoon, having a late lunch or early dinner. Sorry I can say yes or no for sure. Are there any other ferries going to Brac then say Jelsa or Stari Grad (you could then take a bus to Hvar Grad)? My advice - be flexible, don't stress yourself out (like I did my first couple times to Croatia) - you have a couple ways to get to Hvar that day.

Carta_Pisana Mar 8th, 2006 10:01 AM

should have said "Sorry I CAN'T say yes or no for sure"

LowCountryIslander Mar 8th, 2006 10:14 AM

Thanks Carta Pisana!

I'm exploring several options on arriving in Split.

If you have any recommendations for restaurants in Hvar please share, I'll love to hear your recommendations.

offwego Mar 14th, 2006 09:04 AM

Carta is right--Last year we paid a taxi $70 to take us (2 of us, with luggage) from Split airport to the ferry terminal. And it took 30-45 minutes.