Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Split 3 nightsin St Remy and 3 nights in Gordes?

Nov 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Your opinion would be appreciated. Should we stay for 3 nights in St Remy and then 3 nights in Gordes or stay put in one hotel?
This is our first visit to Provence and I am a bit overwhelmed. (NO, a LOT)

Thanks
Nov 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Hi:

Of course, I have no idea where else you are planning to go while in France and you have not indicated what time of the year you are planning on traveling. Personally, I liked the Luberon/Gordes area tons and tons more than St. Remy and that area of Provence, so I would divide my time four days in/around Gordes and two in/around St. Remy. I would not necessarily advocate staying put the entire six day period in either of these places.

If you have some sort of a tentative itinerary or ideas, I would be happy to offer you some advice based upon our trip and experiences this past summer. This was our first trip to France and Provence and I am not an expert by any means, but do feel free to e-mail me directly at [email protected].

Anna
Nov 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Sounds like a good plan. You could easily spend all 6 days in either area as there are many, many things to do.

Note that Gordes and St. Remy are not more than an hour apart. That being said, by splitting your time, you will minimize the amount of driving you do. This needs to be weighed against the hassle of moving places.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Enjoy !

-Kevin
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Paris for 7 days last week of May and then on to Provence. Definitely I want to vist L'Isle sur Sorgue on Sunday and maybe even part of Monday. If we are traveling from Paris on train, then renting a car, should we stay the first 3 nights at St. Remy and then on to Gordes or vice versa?

We are foodies but do not necessarily have to eat at hotel. We would rather eat at the best restaurant in the area. Driving is not a problem since we are coming with another couple.

Thanks for your input-invaluable for a first time visit.

Nov 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM

I might not stay in Gordes per se, but I like the idea of splitting your stay into two locations like that. First, they are far enough apart that it can save some driving if you plan well, but it will be experiencing two different areas. Also, six days is a long time in one hotel unless you really know and like it, of course. I don't find St Remy that scintillating that I would want to spend six days there, that's for sure.
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Would take the time to give your suggestions? I would greatly appreciate ALL opinions.

Thanks
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:40 PM

Hi! I was in Provence for 8 nights in late June this year and then took the TGV up to Paris for 8 nights. I had been in the Vaucluse/Luberon area in 2002 so had somewhat of a feel for where we wanted to be. Six of my girlfriends and I celebrated 60th birthdays this year and treated ourselves to this wonderful vacation.

We stayed at a guesthouse/B&B in Pernes les Fontaines (www.lelavandinprovence.com) which was fabulous. We took day trips each day and really enjoyed driving the area. We rented an automatic van and had a most fabulous time. We went as far north as Vaison la Romaine (stopping in Gigondas for a wine tasting and Seguret to walk around that precious village), east to Gordes/Roussillon/Bonnieux, etc., south to Cassis for the day (if you go, make sure you take the boat ride out around the Calanques - fabulous!), west to Pont du Gard, southwest to St. Remy (on Wednesday, the market day), and Sunday we did the market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. None of the driving seemed a chore as the scenery is breathtaking. We would shop the markets for wonderful things to dine on at LeLavandin in the evening on the candlelit terrace and also went to wonderful restaurants suggested by our hostess, Georgia of LeLavandin.

I posted a LONG trip report and you can click on my name above to find it on this website.

My advice would be for you to go to your local Border's or Barnes & Noble, look at a map of Provence, decide what towns/villages you would like to see, and then find a center point and look for something in that area.

I was the trip planner for the seven of us and I had an absolute ball doing the research, making reservations, creating an itinerary, etc., etc.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

joy/luvparee
Nov 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM

Gordes is a beautiful village and is worth a stay there just for the beauty. There is not much going on in the village - there is an old castle, now filled with the very modern artwork of the current owner, and very steep, winding pathways. The Cistercian Abby of Senanque, famous for its architecture and lavender fields is up in the hills outside of town - take Route des Murs. The stone walls around the houses in the outskirts of the vaillag are unique and beautiful. I would pass on the local Village des Bories, an outdoor museum consisting of large number of reconstructed stone huts.

I highly recommend Hotel La Gacholle just outside of town on the Route des Murs. I have stayed there 5 times and always loved it. The restaurant is very good also - I recommend it.

Although there is not much going on in Gordes itself, I have used it as a hub since I liked La Gacholle so much. It is an easy drive to other highlights such as Avignon, Isle sur la Sorgue, Roussillon, Fontaine de la Vaucluse. Of all these places, Avignon is not to be missed. If I were planning the trip I would spend 3 days in Gordes and then decamp to Avignon from which you can then visit Avignon, Pont du Gard, and Vaison la Romaine for the International Museum of Shoes.
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM

White -

Concerning which order to book, if visiting markets is of interest to your note the following:

St. Remy = Wednesday
Gordes = Tuesday

And for the next two, you will be much better off in the Luberon (Gordes) than in the Alpilles:

Isle-sur-la-Sorgue = Sunday
Apt = Saturday

So it would be a shame, for example, to book St. Remy for Sat/Sun and Mon and then Gordes, Tues/Wed/Thurs.

Of course, this is all predicated on you having an interest in visiting some markets. If not, it doesn't matter one way or the other !

-Kevin