Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Spinoff. Where to go on a great day trip from Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spinoff-where-to-go-on-a-great-day-trip-from-paris-259300/)

maryann Sep 19th, 2002 05:12 AM

Spinoff. Where to go on a great day trip from Paris?

We are planning on going to Paris for 5 nights, but I was wondering if maybe 5 days during mid November is too long and it would be a good idea to go to London for one day or somewhere else in France just for the day.<BR><BR>Any suggestions?<BR>Keep in mind that we already have hotel reservations for our hotel in Paris, so it has to be a trip just for that day.<BR>

aa Sep 19th, 2002 05:31 AM

Five days is not too long to stay in Paris. Even two weeks would not be too long. However, if you really wish to take a daytrip within France, Lyon or Dijon is nice. I think for daytrips outside France, Brussels or Bruges is very manageable-approximately an hour plus to reach either place. London is possible to visit but it'll be expensive unless you get a good fare on the Eurostar.

SA Sep 19th, 2002 05:31 AM

Chantilly.

David Sep 19th, 2002 05:33 AM

If it's your first time to Paris, you'll probably find plenty to fill your time in Paris and its environs for 5 days.<BR><BR>The two most popular day trips from Paris are Versailles, which should not be missed in my opinion, and Chartres to see the Gothic cathedral there with its magnificent stained glass windows. <BR><BR>If Chartres appeals to you, make sure you go on one of the tours given by Malcolm Miller, an Englishman who has studied the cathedral his entire life and really makes it a much more interesting experience for a visitor. You'll find plenty of other recommendations on this board about Malcolm.<BR><BR>The other popular daytrip from Paris is <BR>Monet's house and gardens in Giverny, but I can't imagine there will be much to see there in November

Christina Sep 19th, 2002 10:41 AM

I haven't been there in November so can't quite imagine what some places that are nice in better weather would be like in November. I would not be very interested in visiting Chantilly or any chateau in the winter, I don't think (although maybe it would be nicer than it sounds), because the gardens are one of the nice things about those kinds of trips. Giverny isn't open in November, anyway. <BR><BR>I agree that Versailles, Chartres and Lyon might be good ideas, or even London if you don't ming spending the money for one day (although I wouldn't because it's about 3 hrs one-way, I think). Brugges might be okay but both it and Brussels are a lot longer than an hour's trip to get there -- closer to 2-1/2 hrs. Lyon is better than that, I've been there for a day trip, and that was a lot of fun because there's a lot to see there, but it's fairly compact, and it's only 2 hrs by TGV.

aj Sep 19th, 2002 07:41 PM

I traveled by Thalys train to Brussels and it took around an hour and some but not 2 hours plus.