Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Speyer vs. Worms (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/speyer-vs-worms-923003/)

GaryCA Feb 7th, 2012 06:18 AM

Speyer vs. Worms

If you had to choose between Speyer vs. Worms for a day trip, which would it be? In looking at photos, it seems that the outside view of Worms Cathedral is somewhat marred by some ugly modern architecture while Speyer does not. Other than that, the two cathedrals seem very similar.

annhig Feb 7th, 2012 07:00 AM

never been to Worms, and my trip to Speyer was over 40 years ago, but I remember being very impressed.

have you had a look at their respective tourist board websites?

GaryCA Feb 7th, 2012 07:01 AM

Yes, I have, and done some reading. I'm leaning toward Speyer, but I'm still open, depending on what people say.

PalenQ Feb 7th, 2012 07:41 AM

Been to both and liked Speyer much more - Worms seemed to be mainly a largish modern town - Speyer had small-town feel in its one long main shopping street and castle area that lovingly extends down to the Rhine.

GaryCA Feb 7th, 2012 07:47 AM

Thanks, PalenQ, you are confirming what I think.

AisleSeat Feb 8th, 2012 02:20 PM

The cathedral at Speyer is HUGE. When we walked into it with our friend from Oklahoma she took one look at it and said, "it sure could hold a lot of hay". Did I mention it is big. I wasn't impressed with anything but the size and the Domhoff restaurant across from the cathedral, my favorite restaurant in Europe. They have a deliciious chicken dish that is made with edam cheese .... mmmmm. I haven't been to Worms but I have been back to Speyer for the food more than once.

adeben Feb 8th, 2012 06:23 PM

Of the three Imperial Romanesque cathedrals at Mainz, Worms and Speyer, I prefer the one at Speyer, though all are worth a glance. Of the three towns, I have stayed most often in Worms where I think the 'Old town' is superior to the other two.

Pegontheroad Feb 8th, 2012 06:34 PM

I really liked Speyer and its cathedral. As I recall, the street leading to it was a pedestrian street with a lot of restaurants. very nice.

I wasn't as impressed by the cathedral at Mainz, but there was much construction going on around it when I was there, many years ago.

klondiketoo Feb 9th, 2012 08:22 AM

Where will you be making the day trip from? By train or car?

I personally prefer Speyer as there is a lot to see and do in a small area.

-the Dom interior - Some may not be aware that there is not only the Dom itself but the crypt, baptistry and sort of ossuary upstairs that contains martyrs' bones on display. A bit eery but pretty in an odd sort of way.

-Dome exterior. Be sure to walk completely around the exterior. The traces of different styles of architecture, scene of the crucifixion and the remnant of the abbey wall as well as the memorial to the war dead are all of interest.

--Garden off to the right as you face the Dom is very pleasant if it is a hot day and has statues with an interesting story...ordered by Hitler with the purpose of connecting himself to the lineage of Holy Roman Emperors somehow. When things didn't turn out as planned for Hitler, the town of Speyer was a bit perplexed as to what to do with these nice, but embarassing sculptures so they hid them away in this park...that's the story I was told, anyway.
and

Speyer is most pleasant to walk, has great shopping, very nice and numerous eateries that run the full $-$$$, several historic churches aside from the Dom.

--has the oldest Jewish Mikvah (bathing house) in Germany.
--has picturesque pedestrian area and main street with beautiful buildings
--very nice regional museum that holds high quality exhibits
--historic protestant church is remarkable. Generally closed except for at 11:00
--Museum on Carnival and Carnival masks
--Technik Museum where you can see a bit of anything and everything...steam trains, first velos, scooters, cars, boats, portions of the Berlin wall, all the way up to modern airplanes, their engines, all the way to space craft (Russian) and robots. Many things you can put a euro in and it will run/perform/play a demonstration for you. Very interesting.

If it is nice you can take a ride on one of the cruise ships on the Rhine, which is a short walk from the Dom.

GaryCA Feb 9th, 2012 05:27 PM

I'm going by train and also planning on spending some time in one of the towns on the Bergstrasse on the same day.

Thanks for all the ideas.