Search

Spending final night of trip in Toledo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:13 AM
twk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spending final night of trip in Toledo?

I've been tweaking my itinerary for a 15-night October trip to Spain. Initially, I planned to fly open jaw, in to Madrid, and return from Barcelona, but have decided to skip Barcelona in favor of more time in Andalusia, and flying round trip from Madrid (looked at flight options from Sevilla for open jaw, but have decided not to try that).

I really don't like the thought of simply doubling back and spending the last night in Madrid, and have been sort of torn over whether or not to spend a night (or two) in Toledo rather than do that as a daytrip, so the thought occurred to me, perhaps I could spend the final two nights of the trip in Toledo, and proceed from there to the airport? Has anyone done this? Is it too far? I know that Toledo is on the opposite side of Madrid from the airport, so it would not be ideal, but I really don't like the idea of relocating to an airport hotel. However, I realize that, for some places, it's really the only way to go.

If I did this, we'd probably spend five nights in Madrid to start the trip and two nights in Toledo to end it. But, if it's not feasible, then, I would probably do six nights in Madrid to start (doing Toledo as a daytrip--I prefer to avoid one night stands and will probably be doing an apartment in Madrid, so longer means more options) and one night on the way back (probably coming from Grenada).
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:23 AM

You don't need to stay at an airport hotel in Madrid. You can be at the airport (T4) in around 25 minutes from any hotel in the center of the city. Cost is 30€.

If you spend the last night in Toledo, you'll first have to travel to Madrid and then take a taxi, the metro or bus out to the airport. This means getting up that much earlier. Also, if you take a taxi from Atocha station to the airport, there is an added fee; rail station surcharge.

I'd finish with a few nights in Madrid (we always do) and enjoy the city (restaurants, events and museums), and do a day trip to Toledo. Or you could spend one night if you wanted to see Toledo after the crush of tourist.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 07:46 AM

I liked my 2 nights in Toledo, but I wasn't having to catch an airplane home from there. It is a tough call and may depend on when your flight leaves Madrid. If before 1pm, then I would overnight in Madrid.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 08:35 AM

We wouldn't like the hassle and anxiety of catching a flight from Toledo. We always spend the night in Madrid before going to the airport.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:15 AM

We did a similar trip a few years ago and started our trip in Toledo, ending it in Madrid. Is this a possibility? We went from Toledo into Andalusia, before returning to Madrid for the last part of the trip.

Personally, I prefer to sleep at least one night prior to departure in the city we are leaving from. If we travel r/t, I usually move on to another city on the arrival day.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Like Bedar, I'm totally paranoid about catching flights, so I wouldn't risk traveling from Toledo to Madrid the morning of an international flight. I know trains are usually reliable but you never know. When we came from Granada to Madrid, our train at Antequera Santa Ana was delayed about an hour. Our Airbnb host said that "trains are never delayed" but of course ours was! So I always like giving some leeway for Murphy's Law when I'm on vacation.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Do you have everything booked already? If not, I would do this.

Go directly to Toledo on arrival in Spain. You will be tired anyway and the first evening would be good to relax in Toledo. Spend that night, tour Toledo the next day and another night in Toledo.
Then, head directly to your next destination.
Put Madrid time all at the end so you are in Madrid for your flight, but have the night time experience of Toledo.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I never stay more than a taxi ride away from a departure airport. There's a reason for that.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Looks like Sassafrass and I approach travel the same way!

I prebooked our tickets to Toledo from Atoch, so we had a bit of a wait at Atocha (Madrid train station), but that was a small hassle to have to deal with. We still arrived early in the day at our hotel, had a nap, and then spent the afternoon and evening exploring the city. I do recommend pre-booking the tickets for Toledo, even though it is a regional train, as this is a popular route for day trips and the tickets do get sold out. I think I purchased them about 1 (no more than 2) month before our May trip.

The trip to Andalusia was much smoother. We took a 9:30am train from Toledo to Madrid; the train to Cordoba was probably just about an hour later. Very easy to do.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 11:54 AM

When are you arriving in Madrid? If your plane arrives early in the morning, you (not the luggage) might be left in the streets until you can check-in. In which case, whether tired or not, you have to stay up. Then why not use that time to travel to Toledo?

Regarding whether to stay away from the airport the night of departure. On my last trip, the departure day from Madrid fwas a day of general nationwide strike. No public transit of any kind running. Taxi was running, so it was a trivial ride from downtown Madrid to the airport. If I was in Toledo, it would be a serious expense to get to the airport in a taxi.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 02:04 PM

What Robert said
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM

Personal point of view. I agree, not a good idea to stay in Toledo before a flight. If you have time for only a day trip to Toledo, that is better than not going.

However, I have done both and there is a world of difference between an overnight and a day trip to Toledo. It becomes quiet and mysterious at night. That is as much an experience as sight seeing in the day time. Except for the cathedral, the day trip was not that memorable. The overnight that included a train around to see Toledo Cathedral at night, dinner at a local restaurant filled with families calling hello to each other as they came and went and the silence of the streets at night was magical.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 06:00 PM
kja

I’m with Sassafrass – go directly to Toledo upon arrival, spend 2 nights in Toledo, move on, put all your time in Madrid at the end of your trip. JMO.

FWIW, my opinion about staying 2 nights in Toledo isn’t just because it is incredibly evocative at night (although it is, IMO), but also because there is so much to see in Toledo that I wanted a full 48 hours there (and would have liked more). YMMV.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 06:03 PM
twk
Original Poster

Nothing is booked. That's why I'm asking the questions. I've seen some suggestions that you can book a taxi, flat fee, from Toledo to the airport, but was leery of that and wondered if anyone had experience doing that or a car service. Apparently not.

I've contemplated what Greg suggests, staying in Toledo at the start, and under other circumstances, that would be an obvious choice. However, one person in our party has a brother that lives in the Madrid area, and it would seem a little backwards to put hooking up with him at the end of the trip. But, maybe we should consider that.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 06:07 PM
kja

We were posting at the same time!

Perhaps the brother would understand an itinerary that puts Madrid at the end if given an explanation of the logic. Or the member of your group who has that brother could split off for a few hours / days....
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 05:51 AM

>However, one person in our party has a brother that lives in the Madrid area, and it would seem a little backwards to put hooking up with him at the end of the trip. But, maybe we should consider that<

We have friends and family in Madrid and always see them at the end of trip. It's more relaxing.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't hesitate to spend my last couple of nights in Toledo. It is 1-1/2 to 2 hours from the airport. There are reputable car services that can cost as little as 60 euros or less for transport between the two locations,

That, or put Toledo up front in your plans and do the transfer from Barajas to Toledo with one of those companies.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 07:12 PM

The Brother is in the Madrid area? Who knows. He may even be close to Toledo and could meet for dinner the second night.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM

I don't think it's so bad to end up there, either. It's about 100 km from the airport, that isn't really all that far. I can't recommend a car service but I'm sure there are some if you can find some recommendations somewhere, here or TA.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/madri...fer-to-toledo/

Personally, I'd rather do that then go immediately upon arrival after a long overnight flight into MAD, then having to get to Toledo.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Personally, I would likely plan spending a few nights in Madrid at the beginning of the trip and then another few nights there (in a different neighborhood) at the end. I don't want to travel any further after landing after a long flight and like to be relatively close to the departure airport at the end of a trip.

Don't you love all the different opinions here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -