Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Spend the first night in Naples or press on to Sorrento or...?

Spend the first night in Naples or press on to Sorrento or...?

Nov 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Cassandra

Spend the first night in Naples or press on to Sorrento or...?

Current plans have us arriving at Naples airport at roughly 2:30 pm after 15 hrs. on planes. Herculaneum, Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are our first general destinations for the next couple of days (more than Naples), and we are a bit short of time.

Is there a likely (nice) place to stay in or near Naples that could function as a base of operations for day trips, or would you recommend pressing on to somewhere closer to Erculano/Pompeii or even Sorrento right away and using that as base of operations? (Trying to avoid unpack/pack, checkin/checkout merrygoround any more than necessary). How would you do it?

Nov 11th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Hi Cassandra, I have done this same flight sked and I will do it again in a few weeks. I suggest going straight on to Sorrento and then relaxing there in the evening, have a nice dinner and stroll around Sorrento.

It will be easy to return another day to Naples/ Ercolano, Pompeii on the Circumvesuviana train that originates right in Sorrento.

Do a search here and you will come up with timetables, etc. Have fun!
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Cassandra,
There is a bus from Naples airport to Sorrento. See my trip report for more information. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34416016
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM

ira's trip report might help you decide. He and his wife stayed in Naples and very much enjoyed there couple of nights there.
Nov 12th, 2004, 02:19 AM

Cassandra - I'd second Sea Urchin's suggestion and base in Sorrento.

There's a direct Airport Shuttle (Curreri) from Naples Airport to Sorrento leaving at 16.30.
Journey time 1 hr.

Alternatively here's the train timetable from Naples station:
www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Nov 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi cassandra,

When are you going? For how long?
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Cassandra

Thanks all. We are still tweaking plans -- now have a request from some in the group to start in Rome to get past jetlag before tackling points south. However, however we do it, we really don't have more than a day for Herculaneum and Pompeii and 2-3 days at most for Amalfi area. The issue may be whether to try to "do" H'm and Pompeii on the way from Rome to Sorrento (and therefore should we spend the night near/in Erculano?) or to do them from Sorrento, once we've settled in.

Obviously, I have neither a good sense of the distances and times involved in navigating the trains/buses, etc., nor of where it would be both convenient and pleasant to stay.

Nov 12th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Cassandra - I don't think anyone would seriously suggest staying in Pompei or Ercolano in preference to Sorrento.

You can find travel times between those places on the link I gave you:
www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

35mins Sorrento-Pompei
45mins Sorrento-Ercolano
65mins Naples-Sorrento

Rome-Sorrento takes about 3 hours

There's a left luggage store at Pompei - so you could visit Pompei en route from Rome.

Pompei + Ercolano in one day would be a case of overkill IMO.
As you have so little time I'd choose one or the other - not both.
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I would second Steve James suggestion (and advice)!
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Cassandra

Thanks so very much! What great help (as usual)! Am I right in thinking that if we had to choose between Ercolano and Pompeii, there's actually more to see in E. than P.? Or if we miss Pompei, have we missed a "must"?

Nov 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Pompeii is alot bigger and has more area to stroll around a whole afternoon. Erco. is more compact and alot more of the houses are intact.

I think you could see one or the other if you don't want to spend two days at both. The sites at Pompeii are more "famous" but it is a hard call.
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM

I meant a day at each. If you wanted to just skim the surface you could see both in one day.
Nov 12th, 2004, 11:39 AM

There's far more to see in Pompeii than Herculaneum! I would skip Herculaneum and devote more time to Pompeii, as it is so vast. The town of Ercolano was not very pleasant as I remember either. Definitely base youself in Sorrento for this trip and use the train as previously mentioned.
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:50 AM
ira

topping

Search this Thread